Vaping cause mouth cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashes

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.midwest-edm.com
Wondering if it's likely that mouth cancer may be caused by absorbing so much nicotine through the mouth like how chewing tobacco causes people mouth cancer.

I wonder this because I noticed that I vape from the same spot of my lip all the time, and that spot is starting to be a little discolored from so much "vape" rushing by that area. Got me thinking.

Giantfan

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NO CHANCE.

I can 100% safely assume that there is no chance whatsoever from oral cancer from vaping.

First off, nicotine does not cause cancer.

Secondly, whoever said the heat would cause cancer is wrong. These things are not hot enough to have any effect. Our mouths are able to deal with hot things anyway. How often do people burn their mouths almost everyday by eating things that are too hot? Quite a bit.

Try dipping some Copenhagen if you want a comparison. All oral tobacco has extremely low mouth cancer risks, but can be extremely rough on your mouth.

M3Tyler

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
So. Cal
I wouldn't go as far as to say there is no chance for oral cancer, many studies would indicate otherwise. I wouldn't say the vapor we inhale is "cold" that's for sure, especially for those using 5/6v mods. I'm certainly not trying to cause a concern for those reading, as most studies regarding smoking and oral cancer specifically point to the carcinogens (butane, ammonia, methoprene, cadmium to name a few) but I also want to point out no one really knows for SURE how safe vaping is long term & be sure people are aware it isn't as far fetched as some may think;

Oral Cancer | AAOMS.org
Oral cancer: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Oral Cancer Types, Symptoms & Treatment of Oral Cancer

But when it comes right down to it, there are MANY other contributing causes of cancer in our life, too many to list here, that's for sure. Truth is, nothing is really "safe" in this world...LOL

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/prevention-genetics-causes/causes

Last edited:

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
NO CHANCE.

I can 100% safely assume that there is no chance whatsoever from oral cancer from vaping.

First off, nicotine does not cause cancer.

recently released research:

relationship between nicotine and OPNc expression in the pancreas has been identified
effect of nicotine and the nicotine-derived nitrosamine NKK on normal lung epithelial cells has been identified
effect of nicotine in stimulating the progression of tumor growth, through a cyclooxygenase-2–dependent pathway has been identified
effect of nicotine in increasing expression of the gene FOXM1 in the mouth, has been identified
Nicotine exposure heightening the expression of the nicotine receptors, leading to increased cell proliferation and inhibition of apoptosis in lung and breast cancer has been identified (apoptosis is the process where by 'sick' or precancerous cells pretty much commit suicide and die - inhibition of this process promotes agressive growth of these sick or pre-cancerous cells into tumors)
the nicotine byproduct NNAL and another byproduct called cotinine, on the risk of developing lung cancer has been identified

Hope this helps!

SquirrilahFish

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Honolulu
I admit I have a pretty rotten mouth already, but since vaping it defienatly feels alot better than before, I know that PG has some antibacterial properties as well, im no doctor either but I doubt that vaping will lead to mouth cancer, and more than toothpaste will (btw some say it does, Im not just talking ab Chineses TP either, LOL)

Giantfan

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
recently released research:

relationship between nicotine and OPNc expression in the pancreas has been identified
effect of nicotine and the nicotine-derived nitrosamine NKK on normal lung epithelial cells has been identified
effect of nicotine in stimulating the progression of tumor growth, through a cyclooxygenase-2–dependent pathway has been identified
effect of nicotine in increasing expression of the gene FOXM1 in the mouth, has been identified
Nicotine exposure heightening the expression of the nicotine receptors, leading to increased cell proliferation and inhibition of apoptosis in lung and breast cancer has been identified (apoptosis is the process where by 'sick' or precancerous cells pretty much commit suicide and die - inhibition of this process promotes agressive growth of these sick or pre-cancerous cells into tumors)
the nicotine byproduct NNAL and another byproduct called cotinine, on the risk of developing lung cancer has been identified

Hope this helps!

I know of this, but cells need to already be damaged and maybe even cancerous before nicotine will have that effect.

Just look at the Swedish snus example. Snus has almost no relationship with oral cancer. I think 20% of Swedish men use snus, and yet there are no statistics that support any increase in disease. (besides a slight increase in pancreatic cancer, which is tiny. And, it isn't even that convincing since a lot of the people in that study were former smokers).

csa

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Sorry, but speculation discussions like this play perfectly into the hands of all those -- and they are legion -- who oppose keeping e-cigs legal. The topic headline alone is a shock.

Why give the enemy ammo? If you have a real concern -- QUIT.

Well said!! thats all I got to say....you took the words out of my mouth

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I'm no doctor, but from what I understand, it isn't the nicotine you've got to worry about as much as the possibility of the heat from the vapor causing oral cancer, just as much of a risk as smoking an analog. Others can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong :)

Are you implying that the heat from the vapor can cause oral cancer? What about the heat from hot tea or coffee? Certainly the temp is higher than that of the vapor, at least in my experience with my 510. Sorry, but the logic of this thread is escaping me.

kno

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2009
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
Sorry, but speculation discussions like this play perfectly into the hands of all those -- and they are legion -- who oppose keeping e-cigs legal. The topic headline alone is a shock.

Why give the enemy ammo? If you have a real concern -- QUIT.

im going to have to disagre on account that this is a forum geared towards discussion and learning on these products... the title was structured as a question and it deserves all response therein

sure e-cigs are going to cost big tobacco alot of money, but that doesnt mean that we should throw someone's topics and concerns out just because we love our habit

smokers react the same way when someone challenges their beloved cigarette.

i believe all things should be discussed openly, good and bad.

Lashes

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.midwest-edm.com
Not like I'm going to quit because of a "chance" - There is a "chance" I die in a fireball car crash on the way to work, doesn't mean that I'm not going to work does it?

Just wanted to get input on the likelihood of it because I wasnt sure if nicotine in it self causes damage to the membranes absorbing it in your mouth.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
1. The nitrosamines in PVs (from the nicotine) were found in TRACE amounts. No more than found in nicotine gum. If it was known to cause cancer at those levels, there would be a lot more concern over NRTs. At those levels, it has been deemed no more harmful than the nitrosamines found in harmless levels in other approved products.

2. The studies of nitrosamines in nicotine showed that they don't activate on their own. It's in conjunction with other factors, factors which don't occur in PV use.

3. Propylene glycol HAS been studied and is considered non-carcinogen.

4. That leaves the flavorings. Those are every day food flavorings - used in millions of food products. If those cause cancer, then there is a greater problem than using PVs to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread