Vaping cause mouth cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California

Ooo geesh - really sorry Everyone, about the spacing in my post - I don't know what happened there - I thought I got all the spaces out in the draft, but wow that was messed up.

Thanks for the link, Giant - one of the studies linked in my post came from the exact same journal, dated 2004, also the same year the study in your link concluded. This yes/no/yes/no little bit here, not enough there, has been what has been driving us smokers crazy for 50some years. In the meantime, Big Research just keeps on raking in the dough in grants and private funding, Big insurance cherry picks research to label us unemployable (as uninsurable therefore a burden to any employer) and Big Gubment makes money on all of it by taxing us according to which way the research wind blows.

Thanks again!

Mustang394

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2009
Colorado Springs, Co
Lashes - The only true answer to your question no one really knows. You can quote all the studies you want to, but no one at least to my knowledge has done a long term study on vaping as we use it today. PG is generally considered safe what exactly does that mean? (rhetorical question)

Just because the FDA says this ingredient is safe doesn't mean squat how many products can you think of that were FDA approved and then pulled because they were not safe?

I think your question was a good one, but I doubt anyone here is qualified to answer it.

Giantfan

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Ooo geesh - really sorry Everyone, about the spacing in my post - I don't know what happened there - I thought I got all the spaces out in the draft, but wow that was messed up.

Thanks for the link, Giant - one of the studies linked in my post came from the exact same journal, dated 2004, also the same year the study in your link concluded. This yes/no/yes/no little bit here, not enough there, has been what has been driving us smokers crazy for 50some years. In the meantime, Big Research just keeps on raking in the dough in grants and private funding, Big Insurance cherry picks research to label us unemployable (as uninsurable therefore a burden to any employer) and Big Gubment makes money on all of it by taxing us according to which way the research wind blows.

Thanks again!

Also too, the increase risk from snus causing pancreatic cancer is also a manipulation of the numbers. I can't remember it exactly, but I read an analysis of this number by a really smart person that showed this increased risk is almost negligible. He broke the numbers down really well.

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
my general laypersons uneducated sense of things/guess is that

'things that cause an (unnatural) overworking of and especially (chronic) irritation of a part of a body are more likely to cause cancer there"

This is why I suppose American smokeless tobacco might be more likely than snus for example, to cause oral cancer (because american chew/dip etc is just harsher harder on the mouth), smoking is more likely to cause lung cancer because your lungs are constantly unnaturally irritated (and especially in that case being stopped from their natural defense to throw the irritant off.. all those little 'lung hairs' up and down your breathing pathways get frozen by smoking/tar as well)

This also goes along with why it makes perfect sense to me that the one guy who jammed nasal snuff in his ear canal for years got ear cancer (especially when you have unnaturally overworking irritated body part that can't rid itself of the irritant I think you're increasing your odds of looking at trouble)

this is why when you give rats a thousand pounds of saccharin or whatever yep, you're gonna irritate something you're likely to get a rat with cancer (duh)
(where is a rat even supposed to put all that, how is that little rat body supposed to have a hope in hell of shedding excessive unnatural stuff jammed into its body?)

my guess would be the biggest risk of PV useage might be to the top of the throat, since people point out that's gets irritated most often and you're kind of 'unnaturally' excessively using/working your throat as part of the PVing process.

just read more of this thread... not retracting what I've said to appease the "the FDA/big brother is watching' responders

but I will add that everything and anything in excess causes cancer (including the sun -- remember skin cancer and people who went OCD on 'sunbathing'?)

when the FDA figures out how to regulate the sun then I'll worry.

and I'm especially not worrying in response to my lone little commentary on it here in this one little forum -- and remember the CIA can't even catch terrorists and bad guys real well, we have all kinds of badguy-catching agencies out there and badguys still abound in this world so I kinda doubt the FDA is any better at watching anything people say and do --

especially since the FDA is not even in the business of actually watching catching anybody doing anything anyway,

nevermind what isn't even badguy-related and I dont think the FDA is really in the business of watching people's comments, here on this forum or anywhere.. they are just in the busines of doing what they're told (which is mainly regulating the bejesus out of stuff for fat corporate Big Pharma folks)

Last edited:

JohnnyVapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just my view on a couple of things I read in this thread:

Vaping is, in my opinion, not very likely to cause cancer. As another poster said above, nicotine can interfere with apoptosis so it is possible that it may increase cancer risk, but is not carcinogenic by itself.

While vaping can cause mouth sores(as can nicotine gum, acidic or spicy foods, biting your cheek, etc), this is also not likely going to increase cancer risk. Nicotine along with many other substances can irritate or damage the mucous membranes in the mouth, causing sores. This cell damage is usually quickly repaired by the body's natural healing processes.

Long term safety is unknown and has not been tested, but by looking at the contents of e-liquid vapor is not likely to cause major problems for most users. For users who switched from normal cigarettes or cigars, an e-cigarette is a much healthier alternative, however not using the e-cigarette is likely to be the healthiest option.

For those who worry, or wonder, or might be looking for ammunition to deflect future arguments, consider the food we eat. Your average person consumes food that is packed full with artificial colors and flavors, and even fruits and vegetables are awash with fertilizer and pesticide residue. Someone wanting to make a healthier choice may start cooking their own food, or buying organic produce, but even those choices aren't 100% safe - but they just may be better for you than what you were originally doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread