Anyone vaped in the Hospital yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minedbojo

Jun 26, 2009
San Pedro, CA
I work in a Hospital and smoking is severely restricted; only in designated areas. I struggle with smoking at work due to the interaction I have with staff and patients. These people can smell me a mile away! And they can be rough; i've been told "why are you working to save people and killing yourself".:oops: I know...I know..I get it. Oh by the way I am a Biomed Technician not a nurse.
I wonder what there reaction would be; should I still smoke in the smoking section. Should I smoke freely and hold my ground; don't know how to deal with it yet.:confused: Has anyone been through this? let me know how it went. I could use some pointers here.:|

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
I don't believe you should.

Although, we all feel these are safer alternatives to smoking than the conventional way, this gets misconstrued as safer for everyone. If your vapin nicotine, your exhaling a degree of poison. Hospitals are sensitive environments. I'm sure you don't intend on smoking in the ER or intensive care, but you should realize that there is such a thing as violation of rights/airspace. There is a big difference to rights to subject yourself to and rights to subject other's to.

Also, just as important, hospitals follow OSHA guidelines. Many hospitals can't even allow the use of aerosol cleaners or even allow patients to use Aerosol hairspray. You should really check with your Hospital Administration. You as an employee, could lose your job if you attempt to vape without permission.

This is one place that you don't want to test without extending courtesy to others and for yourself.

Ehvam

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2009
New York, NY
I work in the medical field as well, and even though I work with homecare end-stage patients I occasionally take patients in the hospital. In all honesty, I follow the same behavior and patterns I did with analogs. I will admit I occasionally snuck into a staircase and vaped to kill a nicfit. Not good, and definitely not recommended, but at least no-one will smell it or set off any smoke alarms. lol.
But I did this aware that I probably would have been seriously written up for it. Even if there are no patients around.

Boredoftheworld

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Charleston, SC
Definitely don't "hold your ground". But I'd make sure that every doctor you come in contact with knows about e-cigs, within reason of course.

I remember being part of a group of patients and family members huddled outside in a courtyard smoking when my wife was in the hospital having a baby. If someone had come outside holding an e-cig saying "you konw, it doesn't have to be like this anymore" I might have named the baby after him... or her (hope it would have been a her since the baby was a girl. :))

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
You could also contact JCAHO. Although they aren't federal law enforcers, they do follow it. JCAHO is much like the Health Inspector is to a Restaurant. Hospitals seek that 5 star rating and if your at a decent sized hospital, look around for the plaque.

Even when asking your Hospital Administrator, he/she may simply make the decision them self before even being educated.

Getting a green light from JCAHO may help your argument a great deal. Your administrator would still need to contact OSHA since hospitals don't take $700,000 fines lightly, but it's now more likely the Administrator will actually contact them since you've already taken the steps that appear to be in their interest first and foremost...(will also say alot about you as an employee when it's time for a review)

The Joint Commission

Standards Online Submission form

You really don't want to be that guy on the news,"Are These Electronic Cigarettes Really Safe?" Today, we interviewed an ex-employee who willfully used this device that is under FDA scrutiny, where your loved ones are in need of medical attention......

No, don't be that guy, for the sake of ALL OF US!

Last edited:

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I feel for you. I don't think our hospital even has a "smoking section" for employees anymore. Visitors aren't even supposed to smoke on the grounds. Gave that a big FU when my loved one had a stroke last year.
Now when I'm there, I vape outside the front doors, in the elevators, in the restrooms... As a visitor, I wouldn't vape in a patient's room, but I would have to think about it, be conscious of it.. I'm so used to vaping whereever I want. Don't put your job on the line over this. Vaping could easily be banned, and will be, on college campuses, in hospitals, it will all have to play out...

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
The Mother Lode, California
I work in a Hospital and smoking is severely restricted; only in designated areas. I struggle with smoking at work due to the interaction I have with staff and patients. These people can smell me a mile away! And they can be rough; i've been told "why are you working to save people and killing yourself".:oops: I know...I know..I get it. Oh by the way I am a Biomed Technician not a nurse.
I wonder what there reaction would be; should I still smoke in the smoking section. Should I smoke freely and hold my ground; don't know how to deal with it yet.:confused: Has anyone been through this? let me know how it went. I could use some pointers here.:|

Hi minedbojo:

I was going to post some of the links that I have seen over the months that I remember. Then I did a search an came up with too many to post. Go to the top of the page and click Search, then click on advanced search. I put in Hospital Vaping. I came up with far to many to post here.

Do the search lots of good infor. for you. There are alot of good ones!

Do the advanced search and put in hospital vaping in the keywords box, then skip down one box to the third, under the heading, (to find post from,) leave the box with any date, click the one next to it to make it say (and older). Go to the bottom of the page and click search now.

Lots of good stuff for you to absorb. * Note: there is lots more here to search...Just try some other search headings related to (hospital). =)

Last edited:

davidb

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I agree with ded on this, you work there, don't do it. As a patient and while waiting for someone I have, but you are risking your job, the hospitals rep, and possible invest. into the hospital. The last thing you want is a patient calling up the hospital explaining how their tech was smoking in the building.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I have been at the hospital every day since Sunday before last seeing my Mom. I vape in the parking lot on the way in and out. When she first went in and we did the 6 hour emergency room thing, I did vape inside, in the restroom and an empty dark xray waiting room. (It was Sunday in a tiny hospital) But I did not use my RY4 as it can be smelled by others (not unpleasent but distinctive). Once in a while I go out to my car and have a nice long vape. I have yet to see a guard out there.
In a hospital situation, I wouldn't flaunt my P.V. Too many people over react to what they think is smoke coming from a blue pen! I don't need to be kicked out just yet! :rolleyes:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I did, at the VA hospital. Hubby had a colonoscopy, I waited forever, but went into a different area where no one was around (hallway). Later in his cubicle, waiting for a report, so we were alone there also. My juice is JC original, sometimes Tennessee Cured, has a very sweet, caramel kind of smell which I can smell (that's a wonder, in it own right!!) but it's more a hard candy smell so I don't worry about it being unpleasant. My PV doesn't look like a cigarette, also, so a little more discrete. And how much vapor?? Our own respiration gives off some amount of vapor. I never found a smoking area there, either, but I didn't ask...I think you'd have to go to your car, because the No Smoking signs start being posted at the parking lot entrance!

Last edited:

Twister

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2009
Conley, GA

I wouldn't go to the smokers area to vape. You will still smell like smoke from the "2nd hand smoke". Maybe get with supervisor for ok to smoke in staff lounge/break room or stairwell, etc. Good luck!

westcoast2

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
London, UK
Also, just as important, hospitals follow OSHA guidelines

OSHA
There is no limit (PEL) for PG --> Chemical Sampling Information: Propylene glycol
The Limit for Nicotine is 0.5mg/m3 --> Nicotine

Form this table --> Electronic Cigarette | E-Cigarette | E-Liquid - Density of Nicotine @ 24mg --> 0.16mg per puff.

From this forum on nicotine measurements --> http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/3285-nicotine-measurements.html We have absorbtion somewhere between 80-98 %, lets say 90%. This leaves 10% to be exhaled. This means of the 0.16mg inhaled, 0.016mg is potentialy exhaled per puff.

Let's say a room is 3mx4mx3m this gives 36m3. 36m3 @ 0.5mg/m3 --> 18mg for this room or 1125 puffs. (Fully sealed room no ventillation)

It is unlikely that the nicotine from an e-cig would exceed the OSHA PEL in a normal environment.
(In a study in St Louis in 19 establishments, Nicotine (in Second Hand Smoke) from regular cigs did not exceed OSHA guidelines).

My maths may be out, so please check for yourself.

Last edited:

sofauxboho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I went in for a minor medical procedure yesterday afternoon. After changing into my gown while I was waiting for the doctor, I chatted with a friend about the various types of 901s.

The nurses' ears perked up, and they started asking me about ecigs. They grabbed my pants for me, and I fished out the two DSE901s I carry and showed them around. They asked to see how they worked, and I ended up laying in bed in the hospital, vaping away in front of the nurses!

In the end, they said that it smelled nice, and that this was a sort of cigarette they could get behind.

::grin::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread