Status
Not open for further replies.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
Last November I had a hernia surgery that the surgeon totally botched up and sliced my intestines up. The initial hospital stay was 4 1/2 days and i left my ecigs at home. A week later i became very sick and went back to the hospital for a two week stay. Towards the end i had my wife sneak an ecig in to me but kept it hidden. A couple weeks later I went for a docs visit and he decided that my intestines was not healing and he needed to open me up and probably take a couple inches of intestines off. The SOB put a colostomy bag on me instead and I ended up staying 10 days that trip in the hospital. This time I brought a bunch of my ecigs, batteries, juices and whatever I thought I would need for the stay. Not once did anyone complain. I only vaped in my room and kept it low keyed but all the nurses where curious about it and had many good discussions about vaping. Not once did anyone tell me I couldnt and a few times a nurse or nurse assistant would comment how the room smelled like strawberry or butterscotch.
I went home and about a week later i found I had a massive infection in my belly so went to the ER and was admitted for another week long stay. Once again I was prepared with my vape gear and not once was i told I couldnt vape. Once again I kept it low keyed. I didnt bring along my TOBH or my Patriot. I didnt try to fog in the room. I didnt go walking down the halls puffing away. I just enjoyed my ego and G5-H2 atomizers in my room and was satisfied with what I had. At times i would walk out to where the elevators where and sit on the bench there and puff a little.
In situations like this a little bit of common sense goes a long way. If I would of asked if I could vape, there would of more than likely been a huge "no" but I went ahead and did it anyways, I didnt blow big clouds of smoke where others could complain and I had my nicotine fix the whole time. Worked for me!

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Last November I had a hernia surgery that the surgeon totally botched up and sliced my intestines up. The initial hospital stay was 4 1/2 days and i left my ecigs at home. A week later i became very sick and went back to the hospital for a two week stay.

Towards the end i had my wife sneak an ecig in to me but kept it hidden. A couple weeks later I went for a docs visit and he decided that my intestines was not healing and he needed to open me up and probably take a couple inches of intestines off. The SOB put a colostomy bag on me instead and I ended up staying 10 days that trip in the hospital.

This time I brought a bunch of my ecigs, batteries, juices and whatever I thought I would need for the stay. Not once did anyone complain. I only vaped in my room and kept it low keyed but all the nurses where curious about it and had many good discussions about vaping. Not once did anyone tell me I couldnt and a few times a nurse or nurse assistant would comment how the room smelled like strawberry or butterscotch.

I went home and about a week later i found I had a massive infection in my belly so went to the ER and was admitted for another week long stay. Once again I was prepared with my vape gear and not once was i told I couldnt vape. Once again I kept it low keyed. I didnt bring along my TOBH or my Patriot.

I didnt try to fog in the room. I didnt go walking down the halls puffing away. I just enjoyed my ego and G5-H2 atomizers in my room and was satisfied with what I had. At times i would walk out to where the elevators where and sit on the bench there and puff a little.

In situations like this a little bit of common sense goes a long way. If I would of asked if I could vape, there would of more than likely been a huge "no" but I went ahead and did it anyways, I didnt blow big clouds of smoke where others could complain and I had my nicotine fix the whole time. Worked for me!

Very well said buddy And get well soon.

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
Last November I had a hernia surgery that the surgeon totally botched up and sliced my intestines up. The initial hospital stay was 4 1/2 days and i left my ecigs at home. A week later i became very sick and went back to the hospital for a two week stay. Towards the end i had my wife sneak an ecig in to me but kept it hidden. A couple weeks later I went for a docs visit and he decided that my intestines was not healing and he needed to open me up and probably take a couple inches of intestines off. The SOB put a colostomy bag on me instead and I ended up staying 10 days that trip in the hospital. This time I brought a bunch of my ecigs, batteries, juices and whatever I thought I would need for the stay. Not once did anyone complain. I only vaped in my room and kept it low keyed but all the nurses where curious about it and had many good discussions about vaping. Not once did anyone tell me I couldnt and a few times a nurse or nurse assistant would comment how the room smelled like strawberry or butterscotch.
I went home and about a week later i found I had a massive infection in my belly so went to the ER and was admitted for another week long stay. Once again I was prepared with my vape gear and not once was i told I couldnt vape. Once again I kept it low keyed. I didnt bring along my TOBH or my Patriot. I didnt try to fog in the room. I didnt go walking down the halls puffing away. I just enjoyed my ego and G5-H2 atomizers in my room and was satisfied with what I had. At times i would walk out to where the elevators where and sit on the bench there and puff a little.

It's official, and you heard it here first folks - ECigarettes cause problems healing after injury and/or surgery, and contribute significantly to post secondary infections!

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
I have one more operation to go through where the colostomy will be reversed and seeing how all the fecal that leaked in me matter destroyed most of the hernia mesh, they are suppose to repair the hernia repair. That takes place in two weeks. With luck six weeks after that I can return to work and my life.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
good god what a horror story, but good that you were able to manage vaping. you are right about common sense and not giving a chance to be denied.
I have always felt that hospitals are a prime venue for vaping due to the issues with smoking, plus heck a smoker could end up quitting.

A lot of the conversations i had with the nursing staff was from them having a family member or close friend who smoked and they wanted to help them. One of the nurses wanted to quit herself. I was able to show them a lot on my ipad of available equipment, how inexpensive some items was on Ebay and favorite juice vendors. The reception to it was very positive and I hope at least one person will be able to get off of the analogs from the discussions we had. Also had one of the home health nurses who comes by my house every other day that bought some vaping gear for her and her son. My fingers are crossed for them to eventually become ex smokers!

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Ah, took a hint from the OP and just posted a thread on Vaping while Flying :)

33mmkxe.jpg

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...729-vaping-flights-airports.html#post15375213

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
OP - Thank you.

I am sorry I made light of your situation in my prior post. I sometimes (especially while I'm tired) fail to filter my words. This manifests most often when something inappropriately funny occurs to me. It wasn't until this afternoon that I re-read this thread and felt ashamed.

You're taking a pretty horrific situation and turning it into a chance to pass on a good thing to people who need it.

My hat's off to you, sir.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
You already know the correct answer here. It's just not the answer you want. Don't vape in the hospital. Sorry, your story sucks, but that changes nothing. You get to make that choice for yourself, not for others, and certainly not for others who may be vulnerable respiratorily.

Considering no one in the hospital gave him any issues I'm not sure why you're bringing this up. I had with asthma as a child, using inhalers and being taken to the hospital to get hooked up to a machine that pumped a mist into my lungs much the same when my lungs locked up and I couldn't breathe. IMO any issues could come from allergies, and I know doctors don't go around asking if patients are allergic to PG or VG, which is used so much.

I feel a bit like it's kind of like saying don't eat peanuts because people near you are allergic to peanuts.

James Wilson

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2014
Lebanon, Indiana, United States
My sister had a baby boy the other day. When I was in the waiting room I vaped a bit. Of course when none of the staff was around. Also vaped in the bathroom a bit. At the hospital here though I watch vaping around staff. When I first switched over I had to go the ER. Was feeling sick and had chest pains. Turned out a had an upper respiratory infection, When the nurse asked if I smoked I said I had switched to E-cigs. She made this face. I commented on how it was better then cigs. She said "I don't know about this" Because of that attitude many seem to have, anymore if I gotta go and they ask if I smoke I just tell them no and leave it at that. lol

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
I feel a bit like it's kind of like saying don't eat peanuts because people near you are allergic to peanuts.

Rationalize much? Does the hospital have a no peanuts policy? Is being in a room that shares ventilation with peanut-eater result in one ingesting peanuts? As analogies go, this is pretty bad.

It's not rocket science. It's really not. We all make our choices on whether to vape. I do it because I think it's probably safe, or certainly safer than the alternatives. It's my choice. I get to make it for myself. I do not get to make that choice for strangers. You made your choices in life. You live with them. If that means you're uncomfortable in a hospital for awhile, well that's the result of your own choices. Deal with it. That's called being an adult human being.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
You already know the correct answer here. It's just not the answer you want. Don't vape in the hospital. Sorry, your story sucks, but that changes nothing. You get to make that choice for yourself, not for others, and certainly not for others who may be vulnerable respiratorily.

And exactly how would his choice affect others? No one vulnerable enough to be harmed would be exposed to it (they would be isolated), and no one that would be exposed to it would receive a significant exposure of anything.

A lot of the conversations i had with the nursing staff was from them having a family member or close friend who smoked and they wanted to help them. One of the nurses wanted to quit herself. I was able to show them a lot on my ipad of available equipment, how inexpensive some items was on Ebay and favorite juice vendors. The reception to it was very positive and I hope at least one person will be able to get off of the analogs from the discussions we had. Also had one of the home health nurses who comes by my house every other day that bought some vaping gear for her and her son. My fingers are crossed for them to eventually become ex smokers!

Great! My only comment would be to consider not advocating purchases from ebay. Ebay does not support or allow sales of vaping gear, and any vendor there could be shut down at a moment's notice. Fees support ebay so they would be supporting their poor policies, plus you might want to steer the business to legitimate businesses that set up outside of ebay and bear the additional startup costs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread