vaporized liquid nicotine vs burned nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

GostDog

Aug 30, 2014
Canada
Well as the tittle subject im kinda wondering the following:

if my e-juice as 6mg nic / ml... and I vape 6ml in one day = 36mg of vaporized liquid nicotine...

Knowing the fact my old analogue were 0.9mg/ a stick... and used to do 25 a day = approx 22.5mg of burned inhaled nicotine...

Now... it came to my attention yesterday someone mentioned to me that you cant calculate that like I just did... as liquid vaporized nicotine have not the same attribute as burned inhaled nicotine...

I was under the impression that I did a MAJOR nicotine improvement to my body... but no...from 22.5mg to 36mg a day... so that isn't true???

*** this came from a very good friend of mine... he got the info in a vape shop locally here... the lady say even if you used to smoke 200mg of nicotine a day... not to go too high on liquid nicotine as he might overdose on it... he now claims his stuff at 12mg give him headache... he is saying its a reaction to too much nicotine in his system... and the whole theory behind smoked vs vaporized nicotine came from him as he is able to smoke 4-5 0.9mg each stick in a row without any issue... he is also claiming he does not have air restriction on his device that could cause headache...

Can someone help me sort this out?

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
It's simple to explain the difference, and not compare apples and oranges...:)

When you look at the nicotine from smoking, it is the nicotine delivered by the cigarette. The numbers usually used is not the nicotine that is actually in the tobacco but the nicotine in the smoke, adsorbed by the smoker.

For vaping we are looking at the actual nicotine in the eliquid, as a percentage or mg per mL. When you vape the absorption rate may only be 50% of the contained in the eliquid. The rate of absorption will also depend on the e-cig used, and the topper used.

Bottom line, fine a nicotine level in vaping that cures your craving, using whatever setup you like. Cut your nicotine levels if you are getting headaches, hiccups, nausea from too strong or chain vaping. Chain vaping being a very common cause of too much nic, it's "but it now tastes so good!!!" ...:laugh:

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Nicotine is delivered much, much more efficiently to the body from smoking versus vaping. There isn't anything approaching hard and fast data for equivalence because there are too many variables in devices and vaping styles.

To further complicate the issue the amount of nicotine needed to prevent nicotine cravings seems to vary dramatically from individual to individual. For example, some heavy smokers have posted that starting out using 12 mg. of nicotine was too much while some light smokers have found that 24 mg. isn't enough.

Your own body is the only expert that matters as far as what amount of nicotine is too much versus not enough. If you get light-headed, headaches, nausea and/or your heart races cut down on the nic. If you are getting nic cravings step up the nic.

Some people vape higher nic during the day and reduce it at night because they find the higher nic causes insomnia.

GostDog

Aug 30, 2014
Canada
It's simple to explain the difference, and not compare apples and oranges...:)

When you look at the nicotine from smoking, it is the nicotine delivered by the cigarette. The numbers usually used is not the nicotine that is actually in the tobacco but the nicotine in the smoke, adsorbed by the smoker.

For vaping we are looking at the actual nicotine in the eliquid, as a percentage or mg per mL. When you vape the absorption rate may only be 50% of the contained in the eliquid. The rate of absorption will also depend on the e-cig used, and the topper used.

Bottom line, fine a nicotine level in vaping that cures your craving, using whatever setup you like. Cut your nicotine levels if you are getting headaches, hiccups, nausea from too strong or chain vaping. Chain vaping being a very common cause of too much nic, it's "but it now tastes so good!!!" ...:laugh:

Great info... that confirm what I was thinking... rate of absorption is different...

Nicotine is delivered much, much more efficiently to the body from smoking versus vaping. There isn't anything approaching hard and fast data for equivalence because there are too many variables in devices and vaping styles.

To further complicate the issue the amount of nicotine needed to prevent nicotine cravings seems to vary dramatically from individual to individual. For example, some heavy smokers have posted that starting out using 12 mg. of nicotine was too much while some light smokers have found that 24 mg. isn't enough.

Your own body is the only expert that matters as far as what amount of nicotine is too much versus not enough. If you get light-headed, headaches, nausea and/or your heart races cut down on the nic. If you are getting nic cravings step up the nic.

Some people vape higher nic during the day and reduce it at night because they find the higher nic causes insomnia.

Great info thx!!

What cigarettes did you smoke?? 9mg per cigarette sounds REALLY high. Too high.
Marlboro reds are only .8mg per cigarette, so a pack per day would be like 16mg per day.
9mg per cigarette just sounds like inaccurate information!

Nice catch!!!! yeah... 0.9mg!!!!! my bad!!! export'a green is the reference (Canada) 22.5mg a day... hehe :p I edited the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread