Can someone please explain this.........? (Second-hand Vapor / Nicotine in the air)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GODDESS

Aug 6, 2014
United States
Can someone explain to me;

• What happens to vapor when it's exhaled?

• How long is it before the nicotine dissipates in the air?

• And is it possible that nicotine in the vapor can be inhaled second-handedly? (almost like second-hand smoke)

I ask this because I've heard that the nicotine in vaping is more easily absorbed through the mouth and nose, opposed to the lungs like in analogs. I'm just worried that other people may be second-handedly exposed to the exhaled nicotine when I vape close to them!

I had a friend over the other night and he's a really straight-a, goody type --doesn't smoke/drink/vape/nothing-- and he never has. He started to experience signs of nicotine overdose while he was with me (I vaped off and on throughout the night). We were in VERY close proximity to each other and it's the only reason that this would have happened to him. I was the only one vaping -- neither of us were doing any other substance.

He's a really healthy guy, and he never has an issue with anything I do. He didn't care that I vaped. But I don't want this to affect his health and I feel terrible about it because I think he got a slight overdose because of me. Do you think that this is possible? That he actually inhaled some of the nicotine from my vaping and exposure? Please give me some logical advice or ideas about what to do.

• - Can people close to you absorb the exhaled nicotine; especially if they are within breathing distance to you?

• - IF SO: how far away should you be to ensure that no one else is affected by it?
This may sound silly, but it's a very real concern to me. Thank you for reading, and for anyone who can answer!

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
1 - it joins all the other exhaled breath in the room.

2 - about 11 seconds

3 - not really, and the levels you exhale contain so little as to be unmeasurable if you use standards that pose a risk to people at work for example.

Stop vaping during sex perhaps?

All nicotine - even that from analogs is more easily absorbed thru the mouth and nose than the lungs, hence cigar smokers and SNUS users.

T

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Hmm, I dunno. My wife complains of tingling in her nose if I vape near her too much. And she's definitely a " straight-a, goody type --doesn't smoke/drink/vape/nothing" :)

That's the main reason I move far away from kids when I vape, or don't vape at all if I think they could contact my exhaled vapor.

What if they come into contact with exhaled breath? like how colds are spread?

Did you ever smoke cigarettes? You must be the most considerate person i ever met.

:blink:

T

SpidaFly

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Glenadle, AZ
What if they come into contact with exhaled breath? like how colds are spread?

Did you ever smoke cigarettes? You must be the most considerate person i ever met.

:blink:

T
Uh... ok?

Yeah I smoked. Not around my wife though.

It doesn't make sense to me that the lungs extract all the nicotine from one's vapor before they exhale. Especially since I mostly vape off an RDA... But I'm no doctor or anything...

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
They don't extract ALL the nic - there is some left, but at the level of less than tomato sauce mentioned above. Some of whatever is in your vaped liquid is also in your exhaled breath.

You will be horrified to learn that a natural byproduct of respiration is formaldehyde, but again in such miniscule quantities as to be unworthy of mention.

Dosage makes a poison and exposure creates a risk. For anything.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread