Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to know if I'm missing something here. I have my RSST on my Provari and I've been experimenting with a little. Still using mesh nothing out of the ordinary yet. The first couple of coils I made around a fairly tight wick (aprox 2 1/4 inch) with a small hole in the center and enough room in the wick hole to keep the fill plug in. The coils were 1.2/1.3 Ohm and the vape was great. This is all with a 1/16 air hold by the way.

For the sake of experimenting I took that set up out and put in 3 1/4 inches of wick rolled under a big book that is pretty tight in the wick hole (need fill plug out now, but I don't mind) and completely solid. Same 1.2/1.3 Ohm coil (3/4 wrap of 30ga) and the vape was even better.

Now I have the same wick but I did a 5.6 wrap for 2 Ohms (vaping at 5.4 volts or 14.5 ish watts but only 2.7 amps) and I swear I'm getting better flavor and even more vapor. There is a little more lag in the heating but that was expected.

Here's where I need a bit of schooling, I'm at the same Watt area (high 14s) for each build. I love the big wick since I lung it and I don't get metal taste with the extra juice in thick wick but since I'm at 2 Ohms now my amps are lower at the same wattage. I though that I would get less flavor and vapor but unless I'm nuts (always a possibility) I think this set up is working better than the lower ohm set ups and my battery life is better too since the amps are less.

Always wanting to understand can some of you that are much more educated in this let me know how this is, or explain to me why my imagination is fooling me? This is the best vape I've had yet, to me even better than sub ohm mech vaping. Most if not all of my juice tastes better (to me) on this than it does in the 20+ watt range on a mech and with more flavor too.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Its not so much that the watts are comparable, what is happening is now for the same power draw there is more wire on the wick, and there is more wick moving juice quicker. it's a surface area to vapor ratio kind of thing - the more wire on the wick the more area it can heat up at the same time, the more juice will be turned into vapor in the same amount of time.

As you are noticing there is a point where the efficiency/speed of the coil begins to suffer. . that is def a fat wick and a lot of mesh which will also add a heatsink effect to the coil - in effect absorbing some of the heat from the coil (slowing down the reaction time)
doing like a 1 sec preheat before drawing will help.

in my cobra im around 1 3/4 inches lol

through experimentation you may find thicker or thinner wire at the same resistance produces a change in flavor for you some believe thicker tastes better but i see little to no difference as long as the coil is working properly.

I have found as long as everything is working correctly, a cooler vapor seems to produce a more "saturated" flavor. raise it up a couple .1v and it becomes dryer and less flavorful.

Last edited:
Thanks Thrasher. I just dropped it down to 5v and noticed a more saturated vape that I like even better so that was a great tip. In a lot of ways I'm still very new to this and in the phase where one thinks more is better but the more I learn the more I see that there is far more things that I can chase for my perfect set up than power alone. That is how I came to 1.2/1.3 on the provari, it give me the most amps and the most watts. In light of these experiments it looks like I have a lot of RBAs to rebuild now because for me at least I can safely say more is not always better anymore.

I ended up with this thick wick because I like to take fairly long lung draws and my thinner set ups were going dry on me even with a generous tilt. Ideally I want to have some space back around my wick so I can put the fill plug back in. I do save the good experimental wicks so I can go back and try other coils on them.

One good thing about being so late to the party is all of you guys have gone though this before so my trial and error has been minimal!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
thats the best part of rba's i think. they can be so infinitely tuned its incredible, for someone who likes to tinker they are a perfect way to enjoy vaping hands on.

every day it seems something new is around the corner. mesh, unoxidized mesh, higher mesh count, smaller cap space vs bigger cap space, fish wicks, ceramic wicks, ribbon wire, micro coils on and on and with so many people around the world tinkering away it wont be long until someone pops up with something new to try again.

the coolest thing to me is 20 people can take the same atty, set it up 20 different ways and everyone still achieves good results, i dont think there is any other devices like this.

have fun and dont be afraid to experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread