Want to build a .6 ohm coil: KF5

Status
Not open for further replies.

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
I'm looking to build a .6 ohm coil for my KF5- to use on an Ikonn I just received.
Up to this point I have been using 28g Kanthal A1 wire and wrapping at 2mm-2.5mm (about 6 wraps) to build a 1 ohm coil. (with cotton for wick). Was using this build on a Pico at about 21 watts for good flavor, comfortable vape.

The Ikon came with a .2 ohm coil/head that is a bit to hot for my taste on the 'unregulated Ikonn)- since they don't make .6 heads to fit the tank (unless you know of one that does)..... I figured I use my KF5 (which fits nicely).
Based on Steam Engine calculations- to use same wire and 2mm wrap- it would require only 3 wraps, which I am sure will not be very good. (Very little surface area and cotton.
What are suggestions / options to get to .6 ohms?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I'm looking to build a .6 ohm coil for my KF5- to use on an Ikonn I just received.
Up to this point I have been using 28g Kanthal A1 wire and wrapping at 2mm-2.5mm (about 6 wraps) to build a 1 ohm coil. (with cotton for wick). Was using this build on a Pico at about 21 watts for good flavor, comfortable vape.

The Ikon came with a .2 ohm coil/head that is a bit to hot for my taste on the 'unregulated Ikonn)- since they don't make .6 heads to fit the tank (unless you know of one that does)..... I figured I use my KF5 (which fits nicely).
Based on Steam Engine calculations- to use same wire and 2mm wrap- it would require only 3 wraps, which I am sure will not be very good. (Very little surface area and cotton.

Hi mate,
IMO, you will not go wrong picking up a spool of SS316 in 28g and 26g.
I run 28g, 6-8 wraps in my Calix V3 at ~.65Ω-.75Ω at 18 watts on a pico.
The 26g will give you the option to make a more robust coil when using larger IDs (3mm+)

Cheers
I

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Sounds like you would benefit from the use of a vape calculator app. There are quite a few of them for all the OSes.

• Agree

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
Hi mate,
IMO, you will not go wrong picking up a spool of SS316 in 28g and 26g.
I run 28g, 6-8 wraps in my Calix V3 at ~.65Ω-.75Ω at 18 watts on a pico.
The 26g will give you the option to make a more robust coil when using larger IDs (3mm+)

Cheers
I
Sounds like a option, thanks

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I use the Steam Engine calculator- I am just wondering from the hands-on experience of others- the preferred options to get to .6 ohms.
i.e. Twisted wires vs clapton vs various wire types and / or gauges... etc.
There’s so many preferences and ways it’s hard to suggest a “best” method. I personally much prefer twisted over clapton unless the wrap wire on the clapton is unusually high gage (36+). That’s me though. 2 twisted wires of what you already got should be pretty close. Your calculator will tell you though

• Agree

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
I use the Steam Engine calculator- I am just wondering from the hands-on experience of others- the preferred options to get to .6 ohms.
i.e. Twisted wires vs clapton vs various wire types and / or gauges... etc.

I have a dual coil dripper I run 24 gauge with 2.5mm inner diameter, 7 wrap coils that comes out at .26 to .28. Single coil should get you close to .6 with that setup. Never vaped it in a single configuration, that's a little high for me but it vapes nicely as a set of duals. Mellow and cool, but good flavor and vapor production.

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
There’s so many preferences and ways it’s hard to suggest a “best” method. I personally much prefer twisted over clapton unless the wrap wire on the clapton is unusually high gage (36+). That’s me though. 2 twisted wires of what you already got should be pretty close. Your calculator will tell you though
I'm trying a few things with twisted 28 gauge, as it seems that it could produce what I'm looking for. Thanks for the assist.

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
Thanks for all the ideas...
I spent quite a few hours (OK- too many) getting a build on a KF5 that works well with the (mostly) unregulated Ikonn, and know how to run same build on a Pico that I can dial in to get same/similar results.

BUT... I do like the Ello XL mini tank. While I can get the HW1 (.2 ohm) coil dialed in to my liking on the Pico- it's just a bit too hot for me on the (mostly) unregulated Ikonn. Unfortunately the HW coils only come in .2 an .3 Ohm. (I still have to try the .3 ohm on the Ikonn- but it will still be up in the 50watt range).

Does anyone know if other coils (V8 Baby, Vaporesso, or ProC1) will fit / work on the Ello Mini XL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread