What are the differences between these coil builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twolostminds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2009
Building coils and ever learning....
What are the differences between these coil builds? juice usage? Vapor production? Flavor?

Setup: Sig 30 @ 18Watts, hcigar Kayfun 3.1 ES

Coil 1: AWG A1 30 gauge
1.0 Ohm 4 wraps around 2mm bit

Coil 2: AWG A1 28 gauge
1.0 Ohm 6 wraps around 2mm bit

Coil 3: AWG A1 26 gauge
1.0 Ohm 9.5 wraps around 2mm bit

Using Organic Cotton wick's

Will the 26 gauge, having the most wraps, produce greater vapor and flavor? Will the 30 gauge having the highest resistance per inch burn the hottest? Which one will eat the battery the fastest? I am a sponge, pour your knowledge upon me :p

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I'm no expert at all but my understanding of electricity means the 26 would give you the hottest coil AND therefore most vapor production. More vapor = more flavor. 30 does have the higher resistance meaning its more resistant to heating up. Not to mention the surface area on the 26g.
No offense, but absolutely wrong. The 26 gauge will be the coolest and heat up the slowest because it has the highest volume. It also has the largest surface area, but this will not matter at 1 ohm. 28 or 29 gauge is the best for 1 ohm.

twolostminds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2009
Ok, so I've been using Coil 2 on my HCigar Kayfun 3.1 ES's for a while now and like the way they vape but I am looking for a bit more flavor and maybe a little more vapor production.

Coil 2: AWG A1 28 gauge
1.0 Ohm 6 wraps around 2mm bit

I have 30, 28 & 26 AWG A1 kanthal, 2mm ekowool and a bunch of boiled organic cotton balls. I really like the flavor improvement since I switched to cotton.

Coil 3 produced very disappoint results for me so I'm going to play around and wrap a dual coil 1.0 ohm using 2 X AWG 30 2.0 coils and see how that goes. Given the materials I have to work with what would you all suggest my next coil wrap be?

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Cloudz is right. The 26 gauge will have a much longer spool time. Its really just about the mass of the wire. The 26 gauge wire is a lot heavier, and it takes a lot more energy to get it to heat up. Having a shorter length helps, but the amount of metal in there just takes a little while longer to spool up. the 30 gauge coil however, should light up like a little lightning bolt.

All these issues would probably be negligible if you were running it at 30 watts though.

For 18 watts @ 1 ohm, go with the 30 gauge. I used to wrap 9 wraps of 28 gauge around my mesh for my genesis attys, and while it had a slow spool time, the Provari really made it chuck some vapor when cranked up. Impressive performance from a Provari

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Ok, so I've been using Coil 2 on my HCigar Kayfun 3.1 ES's for a while now and like the way they vape but I am looking for a bit more flavor and maybe a little more vapor production.

I have 30, 28 & 26 AWG A1 kanthal, 2mm ekowool and a bunch of boiled organic cotton balls. I really like the flavor improvement since I switched to cotton.

Coil 3 produced very disappoint results for me so I'm going to play around and wrap a dual coil 1.0 ohm using 2 X AWG 30 2.0 coils and see how that goes. Given the materials I have to work with what would you all suggest my next coil wrap be?

On regulated devices, I always shot for the 2 ohm range. I would put a 2.4 ohm microcoil on there, fire it up to 30 watts and see how it does. I always preferred 28 gauge for my genny's on my Provari, but I use mostly 26 gauge now that I have a Reo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread