• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum
Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Hi everyone!
huggy.gif
OK so it's been a week now since I first began vaping. Yay! :D Just wanted to share some brief thoughts with you on how it's going so far. [To paraphase Bob from the classic sailing scene in What About Bob?: "I'm vaping! I'm a vaper! I vape!" :lol:]

My first orders - from Happyvaper & Evapers - arrived on Friday July 30. I was very impressed with both the speed of delivery & the great customer service! Here's a rather large photo (3264 x 1613, 3.64MB) showing exactly what arrived:

first_ever_ecig_stuff_01.jpg

As you can see, I also managed to get a huge bottle of plain PG from Shoppers Drug Mart. It's great so far...though considering what I've read since about the shelf life of PG, there's a good chance that even being kept in a cool, dark place this bottle isn't going to stay usable for very long. So next time I'll order my flavourless no-nic PG from Happyvaper (to cut with the excellent 28mg-nic flavourless PG I get from Evapers).

Anyway, yes! I love the 'Happy' Joye 510 automatic - a thousand thank-you's to everyone who steered me clear of Greensmoke and all that baloney
huggy.gif
- because what I have now is exactly what I wanted! :D As to automatic vs manual, both have advantages; but I like the 5 second cutoff on the automatic battery. Helps prevent cartomizer burnout, and I'm getting tons of great vapour just fine. I'll probably get a manual down the line too, but yeah - I'm loving the automatics.

I will say that the sound the cartomizer makes when in use took me by surprise! Thought I was doing something wrong at first :lol: until I read somewhere that the snap-crackle-pop I'm hearing every other puff or so is a good thing. :D

A Few Brief Flavour Reviews
DIY-ing my juices from day #1 has been great too. The first flavour I tried was Capella's Root Beer Float (courtesy of Jack at Happyvaper). I added a bit too much flavour to the mix at first (20%) so it ended up tasting medicinal. I was discouraged. But the next day I tried it again, this time with the flavour at 15% in the mix...and it tasted exactly like root beer! :D It has quickly become my favourite vape so far. In fact I adore it. It's got zing! Root Beer forever! :D

On the other hand, Capella's Gingerbread was (in my opinion) terrible. That's not to say it's a bad flavour necessarily (though it's not my bag) - it simply doesn't taste like gingerbread to me when vaped. Specifically, it's as though it's missing virtually all the spices one expects in gingerbread. Believe me, I know gingerbread (I look forward to gingerbread lattes & gingerbread cookie dough each year), and this isn't it. But that's ok - I'll try the Gingerbread from Perfumer's Apprentice next month & see.

Speaking of them...the new Watermelon from Perfumer's Apprentice is a winner! It tastes just like real watermelon, the rind & flesh etc - spot on. Doesn't taste like "candy" watermelon. I was rather amazed that they got the real taste of real watermelon so accurately. The only possible quibble is that it could stand to be a smidge stronger. At 15% of the mix, it's at times a tad too subtle. Though so far I find it's very nice as a milder vape. I'll try 20% next time, but either way it's a keeper.

I think it's safe to consider myself a confirmed DIY-crazy in the making! :D It's fun to experiment with different flavours, and have options over the strength of both the flavour & the nicotine. To make as little or as much as you want. I've already ordered a second batch of flavours from Jack at Happyvaper (which should arrive today! truly amazing speed & kind, friendly service!
huggy.gif
). I look forward to mixing two of them together (another first): Capella's French Toast with FlavourArt's Maple Syrup. :D Also ordered Grape Juice, Key Lime, and the intriguing Pizza from the Perfumer's Apprentice flavours.

Tobacco: Eww
Re: 'tobacco' flavours...you were right, mom_life_love, and I should've listened to you. After first quitting smoking, I was sure that cigarette flavours would be my primary flavours of choice. And now, just like you, I have a bottle of tobacco e-juice here that I don't want & find unpleasant. :lol: Lesson learned (the expensive way). :D

A Question
OK...so I do have one question. It's re: voltage. So far, I'm very pleased with the vapour production from my 'Happy' Joye 510 automatic batteries. But several of the videos out there seem to show people producing more vapour than moi on their 510's (at least, more consistently)...like huuge clouds...but maybe it just looks that way, or maybe they're mixing VG with their PG, or maybe it's the lighting or something).

But anyway, I hear people going on about 3.7v, 5v, etc etc etc. My thus-far limited understanding is that higher voltage produces more vapour...can affect flavour...and also means greater risk of cartomizer burnout (???).

So here's my question: if I want to buy a 5v battery, are they only available in huge clunky sizes? What I mean is, is voltage just a matter of internal difference, or is the external size and/or weight of the battery bound to change when the voltage is different? I'd be more inclined to buy one if it was basically the same physical size as my current batteries. Thanks in advance for clarification.
huggy.gif

I'm really glad to be a non-smoker now...and a happy vaper instead! Couldn't have made it here without this community, without all of you. Thank you.

Rachel : )

burnbabyburn

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Cape Breton N.S. Canada
Hi everyone!
huggy.gif
OK so it's been a week now since I first began vaping. Yay! :D Just wanted to share some brief thoughts with you on how it's going so far. [To paraphase Bob from the classic sailing scene in What About Bob?: "I'm vaping! I'm a vaper! I vape!" :lol:]

My first orders - from Happyvaper & Evapers - arrived on Friday July 30. I was very impressed with both the speed of delivery & the great customer service! Here's a rather large photo (3264 x 1613, 3.64MB) showing exactly what arrived:

As you can see, I also managed to get a huge bottle of plain PG from Shoppers Drug Mart. It's great so far...though considering what I've read since about the shelf life of PG, there's a good chance that even being kept in a cool, dark place this bottle isn't going to stay usable for very long. So next time I'll order my flavourless no-nic PG from Happyvaper (to cut with the excellent 28mg-nic flavourless PG I get from Evapers).

Anyway, yes! I love the 'Happy' Joye 510 automatic - a thousand thank-you's to everyone who steered me clear of Greensmoke and all that baloney
huggy.gif
- because what I have now is exactly what I wanted! :D As to automatic vs manual, both have advantages; but I like the 5 second cutoff on the automatic battery. Helps prevent cartomizer burnout, and I'm getting tons of great vapour just fine. I'll probably get a manual down the line too, but yeah - I'm loving the automatics.

I will say that the sound the cartomizer makes when in use took me by surprise! Thought I was doing something wrong at first :lol: until I read somewhere that the snap-crackle-pop I'm hearing every other puff or so is a good thing. :D

A Few Brief Flavour Reviews
DIY-ing my juices from day #1 has been great too. The first flavour I tried was Capella's Root Beer Float (courtesy of Jack at Happyvaper). I added a bit too much flavour to the mix at first (20%) so it ended up tasting medicinal. I was discouraged. But the next day I tried it again, this time with the flavour at 15% in the mix...and it tasted exactly like root beer! :D It has quickly become my favourite vape so far. In fact I adore it. It's got zing! Root Beer forever! :D

On the other hand, Capella's Gingerbread was (in my opinion) terrible. That's not to say it's a bad flavour necessarily (though it's not my bag) - it simply doesn't taste like gingerbread to me when vaped. Specifically, it's as though it's missing virtually all the spices one expects in gingerbread. Believe me, I know gingerbread (I look forward to gingerbread lattes & gingerbread cookie dough each year), and this isn't it. But that's ok - I'll try the Gingerbread from Perfumer's Apprentice next month & see.

Speaking of them...the new Watermelon from Perfumer's Apprentice is a winner! It tastes just like real watermelon, the rind & flesh etc - spot on. Doesn't taste like "candy" watermelon. I was rather amazed that they got the real taste of real watermelon so accurately. The only possible quibble is that it could stand to be a smidge stronger. At 15% of the mix, it's at times a tad too subtle. Though so far I find it's very nice as a milder vape. I'll try 20% next time, but either way it's a keeper.

I think it's safe to consider myself a confirmed DIY-crazy in the making! :D It's fun to experiment with different flavours, and have options over the strength of both the flavour & the nicotine. To make as little or as much as you want. I've already ordered a second batch of flavours from Jack at Happyvaper (which should arrive today! truly amazing speed & kind, friendly service!
huggy.gif
). I look forward to mixing two of them together (another first): Capella's French Toast with FlavourArt's Maple Syrup. :D Also ordered Grape Juice, Key Lime, and the intriguing Pizza from the Perfumer's Apprentice flavours.

Tobacco: Eww
Re: 'tobacco' flavours...you were right, mom_life_love, and I should've listened to you. After first quitting smoking, I was sure that cigarette flavours would be my primary flavours of choice. And now, just like you, I have a bottle of tobacco e-juice here that I don't want & find unpleasant. :lol: Lesson learned (the expensive way). :D

A Question
OK...so I do have one question. It's re: voltage. So far, I'm very pleased with the vapour production from my 'Happy' Joye 510 automatic batteries. But several of the videos out there seem to show people producing more vapour than moi on their 510's (at least, more consistently)...like huuge clouds...but maybe it just looks that way, or maybe they're mixing VG with their PG, or maybe it's the lighting or something).

But anyway, I hear people going on about 3.7v, 5v, etc etc etc. My thus-far limited understanding is that higher voltage produces more vapour...can affect flavour...and also means greater risk of cartomizer burnout (???).

So here's my question: if I want to buy a 5v battery, are they only available in huge clunky sizes? What I mean is, is voltage just a matter of internal difference, or is the external size and/or weight of the battery bound to change when the voltage is different? I'd be more inclined to buy one if it was basically the same physical size as my current batteries. Thanks in advance for clarification.
huggy.gif

I'm really glad to be a non-smoker now...and a happy vaper instead! Couldn't have made it here without this community, without all of you. Thank you.

Rachel : )

Rachel...first of all...I love that movie...Bill Murray is sooo funny in it! The Dinner scene on the porch is my favorite...mmmmmmmmm
Congrats on sticking with it and getting a week under your belt! I have been without an analog for two and a half months now...it's great isn't it?
I started out with an automatic M601 which is fairly similar to a 510. I do love the auto 601. But now I also have a manual eGo, and I must say I like the manual device better. Mostly because of the leaking issues with the auto's...not that big of a deal, it's just a pain :p
There are some tobacco flavors out there that are good. I didn't like most of them at first either...then I found RY4 and it's my "Go To" juice now!
I don't know much anything about the differnet voltages but I do know that you will get way more vapor with VG based liquids compared to PG based. I use both and the VG liquids produce way more vapor.

Again...congrats on your success

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
hey welcome to ecf (coming from another noob). I started vaping about a week ago too and also got my first kit with Jack at HV. I got the eGo though and think it's great! I started out with 0mg, but recently got some nicjuce at vapables.... I'm very interested in looking into mixing my own, but have done zero research on it... I know it'll be cheaper in the long run, you just have to be patient I guess.... so that being said, do you have specific links that helped you out with the mixing or getting started? (ie. what exactly do you need). Is it just a strait flavourless PG/VG mix with strait flavourless Xmg PG/VG and a concentrated flavour?

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
hey welcome to ecf (coming from another noob). I started vaping about a week ago too and also got my first kit with Jack at HV. I got the eGo though and think it's great! I started out with 0mg, but recently got some nicjuce at vapables.... I'm very interested in looking into mixing my own, but have done zero research on it... I know it'll be cheaper in the long run, you just have to be patient I guess.... so that being said, do you have specific links that helped you out with the mixing or getting started? (ie. what exactly do you need). Is it just a strait flavourless PG/VG mix with strait flavourless Xmg PG/VG and a concentrated flavour?

Hi burnbabyburn and Fitdiculous!
huggy.gif
I agree, BBB - hilarious film! "MmmmMMMMmmmm MMmm-!" "Will you STOP that please?!" :lol:

I actually quit smoking cold-turkey for 11 or 12 days before my vaping goods arrived. No gum, no patches...nada. The first week was a lot of suffering. Now I'm totally over it. I'm a non-smoker. And a happy vaper! Despite making use of nicotine now in my vapes, I no longer feel the kind of insatiable need that I felt before with analogs. It's good to be free! :laugh:

To answer your question, Fitdiculous...DIY is easy as pie! :D The e-juice calculator here (todmuller.com/ejuice/ejuice.php) is a good tool. Helps you figure out exactly how many drops of what you need to mix, based on the percentages of your choice. I've been taking the flavourless PG (28mg nicotine strength) that I bought from Evapers & diluting it to the nicotine strength I wish by adding some of the flavourless PG (non-nicotine) from Shoppers Drug Mart, and finally adding the desired percentage of concentrated flavouring. Super simple.

The little dram bottles that I bought from Happyvaper are perfect for mixing in, too. And anything from one of those disposable wooden Starbucks stirsticks, to the blunt syringe that I got from Happyvaper, takes care of stirring it together in the bottle. (The blunt syringe, the metal end bit - it works perfectly for popping the white cap off the end of my cartomizers too!) I also let the liquid sit for awhile after mixing, before using it. Lets the flavouring properly dissolve into the liquid I think.

DIY just requires a bit more effort than using a ready-to-vape juice, but I think it's totally worth it. : )

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
Hey Rachel

That's awsome, I'm glad to hear a noobie vaper has started DIY'ing so quickly.. I did buy some 3ml syringes from HV, but thought I was use it more for filling carts and cartos. But after finding out how many different ways there are to fill these things I don't really need to use the syringes.

What would you say is essential for me to START DIY mixing? what equipment/liquid amounts/flavouring amounts would I need? Also what do you estimate you're saving when making your own juice vs pre-flavoured nicjuice? ie. if on average it's $.75 per ml for nicjuice what would DIY stuff be (after the initial purchase of bottles, syringes etc)

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Hi again Fictidulous.
huggy.gif
Well I haven't worked out any specifics per mL re: savings, especially not re: DIY vs ready-to-vape juices. But I can say for my part that the flavourings are so affordable, they almost feel like they're free. $2 to $3 from Happyvaper for various 3mL bottles of concentrated flavourings. You can't go wrong.

Filling one cartomizer takes about 18 to 20 drops. So for example, let's say you want to mix together 2mL (40 drops) of DIY juice, using flavourless PG at 28mg nic strength. Let's say you also want to reduce the nicotine level to 18mg. And let's put the flavouring at 15% of the mix. That would be:

- 26 drops of the PG with nicotine
- 8 drops of the PG without nicotine
- 6 drops of flavouring

The e-juice calculator I mentioned before makes any variation on amounts, percentages & drops extremely easy to calculate.

There are definitely savings to be had - think about it; if you buy a 30mL bottle of ready-to-vape e-juice & don't like it...that sucks, and you're stuck with a big useless bottle that you don't want to vape. Ready-to-vape e-juice is far more expensive in the long run when it comes to trying out new flavours for the first time. With DIY you can avoid that, testing a flavour by making only a tiny sample first. If you don't like it, no prob. Worst case scenario, you're only out the $2 or $3 you spent on the flavouring (plus a tiny number of drops of PG). DIY is affordable & sensible, given how we'll all invariably find some flavours wonderful, and some flavours awful.

DIY means the freedom & fun of being able to try out so many flavours affordably (and even combine flavours); it means having options over the strength of both the flavour & the nicotine as well; and it means you have the option to make as little or as much as you want at a time. : )

P.S. All you need to start DIY-ing is exactly what I bought. Flavourless PG with nicotine (I bought mine from Evapers & will continue to do so) and/or flavourless PG without nicotine (I'd recommend going to Jack at Happyvaper for that, he offers it in 30mL and 120mL bottles)...the concentrated flavourings of your choice...a few dram bottles (again, Happyvaper has 'em)...and a 4-pak of the 3mL syringes that you already know about. The blunt metal syringe tips make a perfect tool for removing the white caps from cartomizers, and the syringes also work better for filling cartomizers precisely & cleanly than the eyedroppers included inside the dram bottles do (that's just my opinion). If you want VG (vegetable glycerin) either instead of PG or to mix with your PG, you can easily get a large, affordable bottle of it right off the shelf in Shoppers Drug Mart - no need to go to the pharmacist. Hope all this helps! :D

Last edited:

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
that's a great way to look at it... so it seems that the most expensive thing to buy with DIY is the flavourless PG WITH nicotine? you mentioned you got yours from evapers? $18.99 for 30ml seems a bit much no?

so 2ml would be a perfect sample size then eh?

So what would I need then? let's say 5-8 different concentrated flavours at $2/3 a piece... some PG with nic (how much is this going to run me?) and PG without nic (How much would this run me?)

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Thanks guys
huggy.gif
...I'll consider trying to salvage that juice down the line as you suggested, but the tobacco one really really didn't agree with me. My inclination is to swap it or give it away...but we'll see.

Anyway - I had a question yesterday that got lost in the mix, so I'd like re-ask it now. ;)

Re: voltage...so far I'm very pleased with the vapour production from my 'Happy' Joye 510 automatic batteries. But several of the videos out there seem to show people producing more vapour than moi on their 510's (at least, more consistently)...like huuge clouds...but maybe it just looks that way, or maybe they're mixing VG with their PG, or maybe it's the lighting or something).

huggy.gif

My feeling is that I probably won't ever need a higher-voltage battery than the ones I have now...and that adding a bit of VG will satisfy the desire for even more vapour. But yeah.

Again, really glad to be a non-smoker now...and a happy vaper instead! I couldn't have made it here without this community, without all of you. Thanks
huggy.gif
: )

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Thanks guys
huggy.gif
...I'll consider trying to salvage that juice down the line as you suggested, but the tobacco one really really didn't agree with me. My inclination is to swap it or give it away...but we'll see.

Anyway - I had a question yesterday that got lost in the mix, so I'd like re-ask it now. ;)

Re: voltage...so far I'm very pleased with the vapour production from my 'Happy' Joye 510 automatic batteries. But several of the videos out there seem to show people producing more vapour than moi on their 510's (at least, more consistently)...like huuge clouds...but maybe it just looks that way, or maybe they're mixing VG with their PG, or maybe it's the lighting or something).

huggy.gif

Again, really glad to be a non-smoker now...and a happy vaper instead! I couldn't have made it here without this community, without all of you. Thanks
huggy.gif
: )
The size of the device is dependent on which batteries are used to achieve said voltage. If you are asking will it be the same size as a stock 510, the answer is no.

To achieve 5volts 2 x 3volt batteries need to be used and regulated down to 5volt. There are devices that use a high drain battery (18650) which is then regulated up. I have a 5volt batt box I made myself, it is slightly larger than 3 AAs side by side.

Don't worry, you will grow into them. I never thought I would move away from the 510. I went to the eGo, then to a 3.7v box mod, to a 5volt box mod, to a Chameleon (3.7, 6 or 7volts), to a Precise p18 (3.7, 6 or 7volts).

Whatever you do, stay away from any device that uses the 10440 battery. They are small and sleek, but like everyone else, you will be POed with the battery.

BTW if you make the meet on the 10th, you will get to see all these devices. I will also have the p18 with me. The P18 is the smallest large battery device on the market, at this time, and I doubt anyone can make one smaller. Battery duration ??? dunno 2 days +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread