What is the most similar to a 510 Joye with a boge cartomizer taste wise...?? Please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah Kemp

Oct 24, 2008
I've tried so many different e cigs now, from the Joye 510 with a tank to a riva 510, however...

So far all I can really enjoy is the 510 joye, with a standard resistance boge cartomizer on it, when I put the same carto on a riva for example it tastes so different.. why is this?

Can anyone please reccomend me a large battery that can use standard resistance boge cartomizers without a problem please??? Something similar to the Joye 510,

Slim Batz

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
batteries produce electricity ... no other magic forces involved :) ... so the Riva is either running at a higher voltage (my guess) than the 510, or lower. Keep in mind that the voltage of a power source when no load (ie your cartomizer) is attached can be different than when the load is attached so to truly know you would have to measure the voltage of the battery while "under load" ... powering the cartomizer.

GotSigs

Verified Member
Feb 13, 2012
Northern VA
I believe the standard Joye 510 fires at 3.1v under load. Most larger batteries especially in mods fire at 3.7v under load, so you will be vaping at a slightly higher wattage, e.g., hotter.

The ego and ego-T batteries are 3.4v under load, while the ego-C is 3.5. These will be closer to the 510 battery.... or just go all out and get the variable voltage like the provari and find your personal sweet spot (my plan :))

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
Interesting... If your 'sweet spot' is at such low power (the only other explanation is that the Riva is somehow defective which I doubt), then you'd feel like wasting a lot if you get a variable voltage... It's not a problem, really, just that everyone is different. The large mods are probably going to power the standard res carto pretty much at the same level as the Riva. Does anyone think the OP could try an HV atty on her Riva to emulate very low power vaping, or would the Riva not be able t opower the HV at all?...

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Interesting... If your 'sweet spot' is at such low power (the only other explanation is that the Riva is somehow defective which I doubt), then you'd feel like wasting a lot if you get a variable voltage... It's not a problem, really, just that everyone is different. The large mods are probably going to power the standard res carto pretty much at the same level as the Riva. Does anyone think the OP could try an HV atty on her Riva to emulate very low power vaping, or would the Riva not be able t opower the HV at all?...

That's kinda what I was thinking but I'm not sure what's available, never having explored this sort of thing before. If you could find, say, a 3.5 ohm carto it might get you closer to what you've been getting on your cig-sized battery (that's off the top of my head; too caffeine-deficient for math right now). I really don't know what's out there other than the stuff I've used which is mostly LR or occasionally Boge 3.0 cartos. Good luck & Happy Vaping! :D

Slim Batz

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Just noticed Sarah joined back in 2008 and only has 2 posts ... where you been? :) I think 280mah batts are kinda made for standard resistance cartomizers so the 2.7-3 ohm ones are correct. I have a couple packs of the boges you use that I got just to try, I like the kanger SR horizontal coils though ... the few kangers I've measured come in about 2.7 ohm and are available in 510 thread. Cheers.

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
Lower than ~250 mAh batteries should not be used with low resistance cartos. You don't have to use low resistance on any setup. Bigger batts can use whatever you like. Low resistance is meant to simulate higher voltage on low voltage batteries, but they tend to drain the battery fast so it's recommended that the battery is at least 220 mAh or so. However, low resistance will also give you shorter battery life. Best option for low resistance is at least 650 mAh.

The stuff below is oversimplifying, but kinda ok for vaping purposes:

mAh - battery capacity (how much electricity it holds); also very small batteries can't cope with high power demands

Volts - the intensity of the current put out by the battery - bears no relation to the mAh; certain devices can bump up the volts put out by the battery while others can use more batteries and then regulate down the voltage put out - these are the "variable voltage" mods. Others are just tubes that let you stack up two batteries to get a higher voltage output.

Ohm - the resistance of the load - the lower the Ohms the higher the power that could be put out at the same voltage if the battery can cop with it

Power - is linked to the above by the relation Power = Volts x Volts / Ohms

Hope this helps

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
A Joye Ego with the same Boge cartomizer would be most similar - at 3.4v Ego is just a bit higher voltage than 510 and with the cone off should be similar heat to slim 510. You could also experiment with other cones. Maybe the shorter thread cover cones at Madvapes would give a bit tighter draw without adding much heat, more like small 510?

The Riva 510 kits at Liberty-Flights.com (i.e. new stock made by Eastmall) are 3.7v and noticeably warmer than slim 510 batteries. But it's still nice with the standard resistance Boges which are what I use (because I move them between my slim 510's and my Riva, and slim ecigs should only use standard resistance around 2.5 to 3 ohms). But my Bogse do feel warmer and more vapory on Riva (especially a freshly charged Riva which is higher voltage fresh off the charger). Note - I ALWAYS top off my carto before putting it on a freshly charged battery so I don't singe the carto and make it bitter.

The Riva 510's elsewhere may be 3.4v ones (I think the SLB-made ones are 3.4v like Ego as are old-stock Eastmall ones). The Riva 510 SE is always 3.7v (and made by Eastmall)

And if you really like the feel of slim 510, the 280mah Joye 510 mega manuals are the same but with longer charge.

One other suggestion - if you are using thicker juices then a slight increase in battery heat might cause singeing. If you are getting bitter taste then try harder to keep your cartos damp and try thinner juice. I use 80PG/20VG and I avoid dark/cloudy/opaque juices which can clog cartos.

Last edited:

Sarah Kemp

Oct 24, 2008
so if i get some
Electronic Cigarette - Cartomizers - Kanger Cartomizers

these kangers, they are 2.0 ohm, but it doesn't state they are low resistance.

can i use this in my 280 mah 510 battery that i'm ordering?

will they be comparable to a 2.7 ohm boge? to be fair they are not my sweet spot, 1.7 boge is a bit too much throat hit and 2.7 is a bit too weak so maybe 2 will be good for me?

OR shall i go for
http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=158

SOrry for so many questions im just sick of spending so much cash on products i dont like :-(

also edit: why are my posts appearing all over the place and not at the bottom? O_O

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
No - 2.0 is low resistance and should be used on 450mah+ batteries. 2.5 to 3 ohm (single coil) cartomizers are standard resistance.

That said - you can put whatever you want on your batteries - you just might damage or kill the batteries.

And I do not understand. If you only like Boge standard res on slim 510, and don't like them on hotter batteries, then why would you buy even hotter 2 ohm cartos?

Last edited:

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
so if i get some
Electronic Cigarette - Cartomizers - Kanger Cartomizers

these kangers, they are 2.0 ohm, but it doesn't state they are low resistance.

can i use this in my 280 mah 510 battery that i'm ordering?

will they be comparable to a 2.7 ohm boge? to be fair they are not my sweet spot, 1.7 boge is a bit too much throat hit and 2.7 is a bit too weak so maybe 2 will be good for me?

OR shall i go for
Electronic Cigarette - Cartomizers - Eliq Cartomizers

SOrry for so many questions im just sick of spending so much cash on products i dont like :-(

also edit: why are my posts appearing all over the place and not at the bottom? O_O

I would not use anything below 2.5 ohm resistance on a slim battery. The 2.0 are LR, whether is says so or not. Happy Vaping!

Sarah Kemp

Oct 24, 2008
But if i get a 280 mah battery, that is still considered a "slim?"

Ok how about if I get

http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=154
?

This runs at 300 mah, i love it's style too.. so this will last longer than my other (Crappy) 180 joye battery and give equivalent power output to a 280 that i was close to ordering????

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Yes a 280mah Joye 510 mega battery is still slim. I just used "slim" as a descriptor because all slim batteries are under 450mah. Batteries under 450mah are supposed to use standard resistance. However a few people do use 2 ohm cartos on the mega 280mah 510. They probably won't kill it immediately but will degrade the battery faster.

450mah+ batteries are Ego, Riva 510, mods etc. Those can use stuff under 2.5 ohms. And even then, stuff under 1,7ohms can be damaging to some batteries.

And maybe I have your goal confused.

Is your goal for the slim ecig to feel like Riva 510 (in which case I recommend V4L.com instead - 3.7v slim batteries and the WOW cartos and Bloogplanet's cartos are close to 2.5ohm, but not the same threading as 510).

Or is your goal to find a big battery combo that will vape like a slim 510 w/ a standard resistance Boge? (what I thought your goal was)

Last edited:

Sarah Kemp

Oct 24, 2008
im trying my riva with a lr cartomizer right now and i like the throat hit, but for some reason I get strange muted flavours through the lr carto, almost like a burningy plasticy taste and not sure why this is ;( could it be my boge cartomizers are not good at low resistance? even in my normal 510 i get the same taste....

god this stuff is so confusing !!!! :)

im starting a new job soon and really dont want to smoke real cigs so need a reliable set up but i cant seem to find one ;(

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
Cartos work on passthroughs. If it's a 5V passthru you must use standard resistance.

Are you sure you the cartomizer is filled properly? A Boge LR carto should give great flavor, really. Maybe you have a dud, or it's not correctly filled?

IF you allow a cartomizer to dry too much, it will immediately singe the wicking / filler and will give out a burned plastic taste forever (no way to fix). That's when the term disposable becomes very relevant about cartos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread