Not open for further replies.

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
Aras:8565212 said:
Neither of these qualify as petitions to the White House. That is my basic point.

I'm not even saying petitions don't work, I'm saying, we are petitioning the wrong person.

We should petition our individual congressman. Hell I can point you to plenty of petitions that worked as well.

READ what it is, I'm actually saying, THIS petition is a waste of time.

You are a waste of time, sir. I'm done talking to you. You are way too negative of a person and should keep to yourself. Just saying.

Wow, this says sooo much about you as a person.

I'm negative. You people need to quit wasting this community's time with fruitless endeavours. You even have admitted that this is nothing more than show, yet you continue to promote this over other, more effective avenues.

So I hope that when you get the canned response you are hoping for, where you are told to trust the FDA, that you and the rest of your kind don't become disenfranchised and useless to the cause.

Ill keep talking to my congressmen and hope for the best.

You have fun feeling like you are doing something.

Last edited:

MaDeuce

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Auburn, OH

I'm negative. You people need to quit wasting this community's time with fruitless endeavours. You even have admitted that this is nothing more than show, yet you continue to promote this over other, more effective avenues.

So I hope that when you get the canned response you are hoping for, where you are told to trust the FDA, that you and the rest of your kind don't become disenfranchised and useless to the cause.

With all due respect, speaking to your congressman will do nothing seeing as how congress is part of the legislative branch of our government. Going to the WH is exactly what needs to be done since that is part of the executive branch of our government and the FDA falls under the auspices of, you guessed it, the executive branch.

Aras

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
USA Pennsylvania
thevaporchef.com

Please go away and be angry somewhere else. You can find someone more negative than you are to argue with and ruin both your days.

448 To go!

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
MaDeuce:8566950 said:

With all due respect, speaking to your congressman will do nothing seeing as how congress is part of the legislative branch of our government. Going to the WH is exactly what needs to be done since that is part of the executive branch of our government and the FDA falls under the auspices of, you guessed it, the executive branch.

Really? So what you are telling me is...that congress makes the laws and the regulations the the executive branch....pres and departments enforce?

You do get this right? The FDA must first submit the regulations for an already legal product to the legislative branch, right? The FDA can not just levy a tax, right? The congress makes laws, not the executive.

Perfect example, the USPS is talking about getting rid of Saturday mail delivary, but congress must first sign off on this.....but wait....the postal service is part of the.....exe.....

feolip

Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
Austin, TX
I like the idea of petitions in general.
I won't be signing this particular one.
For me, the language leaves a bit to be desired.
I'm guessing there will be more petitions especially when more is known on this whole topic.
I consider it likely that I'll be signing my name to a future petition.

Which part concerns you Jman8? Just wondering..

The FDA has repeatedly stated its intent to propose a “deeming” regulation to apply Chapter IX of the FSPTCA to e-cigarettes. But Sections 905 and 910 would ban all e-cigarettes, and other provisions of Chapter IX would also decimate the e-cigarette industry, protect cigarette markets and otherwise threaten public health. The FDA should NOT propose or approve any regulation that would deny cigarette smokers legal or affordable access to less hazardous smokefree alternatives. ~ Bill Godshall

E-cigarettes and associated accessories and liquids are less hazardous than cigarettes and can reduce the risks of smoking. With the use of these devices millions have successfully reduced the use of cigarettes. Don't let the FDA deny us access to these alternatives to smoking.

MaDeuce

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Auburn, OH
Really? So what you are telling me is...that congress makes the laws and the regulations the the executive branch....pres and departments enforce?

You do get this right? The FDA must first submit the regulations for an already legal product to the legislative branch, right? The FDA can not just levy a tax, right? The congress makes laws, not the executive.

Perfect example, the USPS is talking about getting rid of Saturday mail delivary, but congress must first sign off on this.....but wait....the postal service is part of the.....exe.....

There is currently no federal law for the FDA to enforce that taxes or regulates e-cigs or any of their components so why would you be going to your congressman first? Do you go to your congressman every time the FDA wants to allow or disallow a prescription drug to be sold? As long as the industry can prove that they are selling and marketing their products truthfully and without false claims there is no reason for congress to become involved.

And by the way, there is already a law on the books regarding the USPS. You're comparing apples to oranges. And who sir are you to dictate to anybody what is and isn't a waste of time? It's our time to with as we please. If you don't like it than don't sign it and be done with it.

Last time I checked I'm supporting the ECF e-cig forum, not the JKMTWO e-cig forum, unless of course someone handed ownership of this forum over to you and failed to inform everyone else.

Last edited:

MaDeuce

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Auburn, OH
Someone suggested that we should talk to our Congressmen or Senators to resolve this issue about e-cigarettes and their purported regulation. He states that everything else is just a waste of time. Have you ever tried talking to a Congressman or a Senator? Let me tell you that there is no gesture more futile than that, except for addressing a brick wall. I talked to plenty of them in Iraq and in Afghanistan about important things such as better body armor and safer, more secure up-armored vehicles. You know what we got? Smiles, handshakes and infinite photo-ops. Petitioning our government is one of the sacred rights granted to us by our Constitution. And I didn't see a paragraph in there about "talking" to your Congressman to resolve issues pertaining to our government.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
huh - getting a bit hot in this thread. How about we just agree to disagree? Some people thing the petition is junk. Some think it may sit with the saints. And some people think that the petition may or may not work, but anything is better than nothing.
I know about at least 3 FDA hearings where they were considering the deeming regulations. I don't know if they can or can not do it. I hope not.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Which part concerns you Jman8? Just wondering..

The FDA has repeatedly stated its intent to propose a “deeming” regulation to apply Chapter IX of the FSPTCA to e-cigarettes. But Sections 905 and 910 would ban all e-cigarettes, and other provisions of Chapter IX would also decimate the e-cigarette industry, protect cigarette markets and otherwise threaten public health. The FDA should NOT propose or approve any regulation that would deny cigarette smokers legal or affordable access to less hazardous smokefree alternatives. ~ Bill Godshall

E-cigarettes and associated accessories and liquids are less hazardous than cigarettes and can reduce the risks of smoking. With the use of these devices millions have successfully reduced the use of cigarettes. Don't let the FDA deny us access to these alternatives to smoking.

Mainly the underlined parts, possibly other parts.
I understand, I think, the desire to word it this way, and can respect that.
Though not something I'm compelled to get behind / sign my name to at this time.
Again, feel likely to sign a future petition related to this.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I may have to eat my words from the earlier post I made after reading this article in Time magazine - Behind the Obama Administration

Apparently, the White House relishes the idea of having petitions submitted, as they have a real opportunity to give us a specific response. By giving the WH our email address, we have agreed that the WH can communicate with us directly to address out specific concern. And apparently, POTUS & Co. will reply. I look forward to an email from Barry himself. :p

An added bonus to the article is that in the print version (Feb. 11, 2013), the graphics at the bottom of the page actually mentions a petition concerning "E-SMOKING" with 18,053 signatures to "Prevent the U.S. Food and Drug Administration from regulating or banning the sale of electronic cigarettes."1 Not too shabby.

1.Scherer, Michael. "We The People." Time Magazine. Feb. 11, 2013. Vol. 181, No. 5/2013. 34-37. Print.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread