Wicking material....and more questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clo

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
Tuttle, OK
www.facebook.com
I am generally a Kanger gal and I notice for the single coils their wicking material is silica. I recently purchased an aspire nautilus mini and the website says their coils use ceramic as their wicking material, but in my last post many were saying the coils are organic cotton now. I haven't received it yet so who knows what I am going to get. Ok I need some education about the wicks. What's better overall? Any weird health concerns from these wicking materials? I think some don't care for the ceramic, but I'm not sure why or if it's bad for you. I'm trying not to overthink everything but also trying to make as educated choices as possible. Thanks for any help!

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
there are 4 general wick materials used...
cotton
silica
rayon
ceramic
and a slew of oddball items such as
quartz crystal
bamboo
hemp fiber
wire rope
SS mesh
etc...

the ceramic doesnt wick well, cotton can leave one with a wet T-shirt flavor, silica has a muting characteristic, rayon is man made.... I personally prefer rayon.. my second choice is natural sea sponge collected from the north coast of Hawaii by red headed mermaids during the full moon of the grunion runs ( and that is a rare occurrence) :)

Reactions: MotherOfCats

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Aspire quit using the ceramic in their coils around February. Everything made since then is using organic cotton now.

Neither should be of any real concern, but some people were worried that the ceramic fibers would break apart and then be inhaled from the ceramic wicks. I don't think that was a legitimate concern, but it created enough bad press that Aspire switched to the cotton to keep from losing sales.

Clo

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
Tuttle, OK
www.facebook.com
Ok so it sounds like the website was not updated at Mt. baker to reflect the change in wick material for the nautilus mini. The more I learn the more confused I get because it just opens a whole other can of worms-questions I have. Lol. All I've used are the silica wicks that are in my kanger coils for my evods and protanks so I have no clue about what would work better for me. I will get to experiment with that next week!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I like Organic Cotton and Rayon. I use both. They're not *quite* interchangeable parts, but close. Some of my juices seem to like one or the other better, for reasons I don't understand. I have never tried a ceramic wick. I'd like to, but I rebuild and they won't go in a rebuildable unless you use a genny.

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
I build coils and use the Cellu-Cotton. Its the rayon they're talking about. It can purchased it at most beauty supply stores. As for the heads in tank systems I would suggest you try and get the OCC or organic cotton coils. I think most prefer them for both taste and health in general purposes. Good luck. By the way the Cellu-Cotton is way cheap. You can get several hundred feet for a few dollars and it will last several years.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Ok so it sounds like the website was not updated at Mt. baker to reflect the change in wick material for the nautilus mini. The more I learn the more confused I get because it just opens a whole other can of worms-questions I have. Lol. All I've used are the silica wicks that are in my kanger coils for my evods and protanks so I have no clue about what would work better for me. I will get to experiment with that next week!

Mt Baker Vapor just hasn't updated their website. I can assure you that you'll get the tank with cotton coils.

Compared to the Silica wicks you'll find the Nautilus cotton coils give MUCH better flavor. However, before you use them I recommend dropping 3-4 drops of juice directly into the top of the coil and then apply a small amount of juice to each of the wicking holes on the side. Then install it into your filled tank and give it around 10 minutes or so soaking time before you start using it. When you're ready to use it take 2 or 3 puffs without pressing the fire button on your mod to make sure you've sucked enough juice into the wicks and they are fully saturated.

After that it should work great. I use the full sized Nautilus as my tank I take to work. My boss lets me vape in my office, but wants me to keep it low key. No subohming and no strong smelling juices. The Nautilus works great for me for that purpose, and yet it can still put out some impressive sized vapor clouds.

I'll bet you Evods never did this...

20150401_1547581.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread