Wicks in clearomizer turning brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgallagher

Verified Member
Oct 29, 2012
Cleveland
So I tried a new clearomizer and I used a Tropical Punch liquid. The liquid is clear. After vaping it for a little bit I noticed the wicks in the clearomizer turned all brown. They look almost like they were burnt. It changed the color of the juice a bit but it has not changed the taste of the juice. It just seems odd. I added some more juice to the clearomizer and the majority of the brown color went away. Can anyone explain this?

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Yep that is what happens over time. Try cleaning it in grain alcohol. I 'd normally use just rubbing alcohol but if you don't have a rebuildable the use grain alc. Then rinse it good with water. Water picks do a good job. If you have a rebuildable then just leave the tank off and take off the tip of the head the silicone thing and do a dry burn to burn off any crust on the atty. Then rinse it again.
It will extend the life a bit. At some time you will have to toss it or if rebuildable replace the head.

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
I made some peppermint juice about a week ago that stayed clear for that whole time in a vivi nova tank. Today I decided to put a little sweetner in it (couple of drops in about 8ml) and it is beginning to turn brown. I've had lots of juices do this and always assumed that the people who said that the brown was a reaction of heat and light on the nicotine were correct. That is NOT true. It's the sweetner in the juice being super heated by the coil. Just like if you put sugar and water in a pan and put it on the stove. The sugar is gonna turn dark every time.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I made some peppermint juice about a week ago that stayed clear for that whole time in a vivi nova tank. Today I decided to put a little sweetner in it (couple of drops in about 8ml) and it is beginning to turn brown. I've had lots of juices do this and always assumed that the people who said that the brown was a reaction of heat and light on the nicotine were correct. That is NOT true. It's the sweetner in the juice being super heated by the coil. Just like if you put sugar and water in a pan and put it on the stove. The sugar is gonna turn dark every time.

Yea I have that problem I want things like peppermint to be sweet. I use sucralose, ezsweetz or ethyl malto. I use to use agava nectar and it would really gunk up and the juice turned brown. So i stick to the others. I do find that the sweeter it is the more i have to clean. IME.

cghildreth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Central Texas
Try cleaning it in grain alcohol.

+1

I drop my Vivi heads in grain alcohol for a couple hours/overnight after each tank. I've found that this helps tremendously in maintaining flavor production. You can do a dry burn after the soak, but I don't think the dry burn is absolutely necessary - just pat dry the wicks and the head, blow it out, set it on the counter to dry for an hour or so, and its ready to go again.

robtest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
atlanta, ga metro area
Its the sugar in the juice that is "caramelizing" on the coils. Its not usually a big deal, but you may need to clean the wicks/coil more often.

I have been cleaning my clearos after every couple refills, they always turn back to white after rinsing with hot water.

yes, caramelizing of the sugars jumped to mind for me too...

hopefully a good cleaning in hot water will take care of it

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
I rinse the heads, let them dry, do a dry burn and drop them in vodka for a few hours. Take them out and pat dry then let them dry under a student lamp which really gets hot if you bend it down close to the desktop where the heads are.

I'm REALLY po'ed at myself for believing the light and heat story about nicotine. Dumb........really dumb on my part.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
I'm REALLY po'ed at myself for believing the light and heat story about nicotine. Dumb........really dumb on my part.

There is actually some truth to that. Nicotine will 'tan' when exposed to oxygen. Sort of on the same principle as metals 'rust'. If you ever make DIY juices, the mix starts out fairly clear (urine colored) than turns a light golden brown or orange after a few days or weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread