Would this be a good battery for a VV pv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
AW 18650 3.7v 2900mah protected battery. Built with LiNiCoO2 NNP cells. I know the brand is good, but not familiar with the LiNCo02 NNP cells build. According to the Battery article in the ECF library, these could be what is called L-Ion. RTD has these and another AW that does not state this build, so I'm just wondering. Would either this battery,or the other be suitable for a VV pv?

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
Depends on what vv mod you're using Oplholik (sir or Ms.?). If you're using a provari, no. They put out a max current of 5.8a if I remember correctly. High drains are usually the best for vv's...

Currently what i have is a 3.7v, 18650 batt. NoEgo from Jazz Carto Pipe. When they get the VV switch module, then I'll have a VV.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
IMR batteries are the definitive high drain. You have to go by charge capacity. For the IMR batts, it's 8C or 8 times the charge. For an IMR 14500 with 600mAh, max drain is 4.8 Amps. For an IMR 18650 with 1600mAh, max drain is 12.8A.

The Panasonic NCR batts (with the long chemical name) have similar charge density to that of lithium polymer or LiPo. Since LiPo batts are not currently available in a round cell, the Panasonic NCRs are the highest capacity round cells out there. I believe AW's 2900mAh 18650 uses the Panasonic NCR cell. However, they're not particularly high drain. Although safter then ICO cells (LiCo), they should be used protected. They have a max drain of 2C or 5.8A. That's a little low to use in a booster mod, but may be okay. You'd have to try them. It's actually not the constant draw that's a problem. It's the surge currents that occur during booster startup that can trigger protection.

Last edited:

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
IMR batteries are the definitive high drain. You have to go by charge capacity. For the IMR batts, it's 8C or 8 times the charge. For an IMR 14500 with 600mAh, max drain is 4.8 Amps. For an IMR 18650 with 1600mAh, max drain is 12.8A.

The Panasonic NCR batts (with the long chemical name) have similar charge density to that of lithium polymer or LiPo. Since LiPo batts are not currently available in a round cell, the Panasonic NCRs are the highest capacity round cells out there. I believe AW's 2900mAh 18650 uses the Panasonic NCR cell. However, they're not particularly high drain. Although safter then ICO cells (LiCo), they should be used protected. They have a max drain of 2C or 5.8A. That's a little low to use in a booster mod, but may be okay. You'd have to try them. It's actually not the constant draw that's a problem. It's the surge currents that occur during booster startup that can trigger protection.

So, it sounds to me that the AW IMR 18650 1600mah would be a good one to go with? All this battery talk makes my head spin. LOL

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
All this battery talk makes my head spin. LOL

Hehe, it does get to be a bit much sometimes. There is a handful of commonly used Li-Ion chemistries (and even a few uncommon ones). Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Li-Ions are on the forefront of energy storage right now. Researchers are aggressively experimenting with this type of battery. The main push is to develop a truly practical electric car, but handheld applications are also a big motivator. We're getting there. Just need to get the cost down and the cycle life up Right now, a Li-Ion battery pack for an electric car costs around $30k and only lasts about 3 years.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
If the vv mod is using only one 18650 then you want to go with IMR as it has higher current drain capability. A single Li-Ion will work in this case but you may not get the full range your vv device is specified for.

If the mod uses a pair of 18650s then Li-Ion or IMR will be fine.

As you go down in battery size to say 14500 then it's recommended to use IMR even in pairs as they don't have the current draw capability of the larger batteries.

Yes IMR is not protected but it is a safer chemestry battery in comparison to Li-Ion

Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
IMR batts are typically not protected because protection circuity is cost and size prohibitive for drain limits that high. They are fairly safe to use unprotected since the chemistry itself is much less volatile. However, you do need to be aware they can vent (emit hot gasses at a high rate) when shorted or over-charged. You need to be more careful with them than a protected cell.

Verify your charger is working properly by occasionally measuring battery voltage when one completes charging.. Should be 4.2 Volts within a few hundredths either way. Don't leave them on the charger unattended for long periods. Don't charge them next to anything flammable as a safety precaution in the unlikely event of a problem.

Your mod should have a master switch close as possible to the battery positive or negative terminal to shut the device off quickly in the event of a short. In general, be careful not to inadvertently short a battery.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
Ok, now I know what batteries to order. I think I'll order from the AW guy here on ECF, but I'll read the procedure tomorrow for ordering, when my headache subsides. He recommends an AW approved charger, and I have a WF-188, is that suitable? Not sure which one he sells that is AW approved for these batteries. Ok, now I gotta go take a Motrin. Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread