Yesterday I got 2 of my 3 sets that I ordered - still trying to figure out a few things ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlazarus

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Ok, my first thread here was http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ay-assistance-needed-few-s-though-thanks.html and again, thank you to all that helped me determine some good equipment to start this vaping journey....

Now I have 2 of the 3 sets in, and have a few questions. I had ordered a Riva 510 Carto Delxue (Dual Coil) starter kit with a bunch of extra stuff (extra batteries, cartos, carts, atomizers, PG juice, etc.). I received that one. I also received the Vapor King from V4L (I believe that's a KR8). I ordered three batteries with that one - a pass thru, a manual and an auto - and also ordered a 5 pack of WOW VG cartos. I have not yet received the E-Power 14560 kit with resurrectors.

1.) Riva 510 - Excited to open package, not so excited to see tons of things with no labeling, lol! I had no idea what I was looking at and took me a while to figure it out, and frankly I still have a couple things I'm not so sure about. For example, I quickly figured out which package contained the Smok Tech Dual Coil XXL cartos I had ordered as extra - these also came with a flat tip thing already on them. However, there is another package of what I assume are the shorter length (Smok Tech Dual Coil XL?) that came *with* the kit. However, these don't have a plastic tip on them, and instead have what looks like a white plastic end cap with a hole in it. Not sure how to fill those? More about these in a minute.....

Now, don't laugh, but in my initial excitement I threw one of the those XL cartos on and turned it on and puffed and yep - duh, no juice, gross burnt plastic taste in mouth. Not fun. Laughed though at my eagerness! So then pulled out the XXL with the flap tip, filled it with PG Chocolate Fudge Cake - I tilted the carto, dropped some juice in, rotated, dropped some more, rotated again, dropped some more, and then noticed juice coming OUT the other end (I don't think that was good!) - got a paper towel, dabbed the end dry, screwed it onto the battery, clicked the button and puffed - and bam....lots of throat hit, maybe too much but woah, loved the taste and with some test puffs figured out how to self-regulate my "hit". This morning after a few drags I noticed a slight burnt taste so I filled it again - wish I understood how to do this better, or how to adequately measure how much I am putting in - again, overfilled (waste of juice!) and dabbed end again...screwed it back in, puffed - all good, but still now taste a slight burnt taste...set it down, and about an hour later picked it up and ACK - juice all in my mouth! Blah! Gotta get the hang of this - can I OD from the juice getting in mouth, lol????

Back to those XL cartos that *came* with the kit (not the xtra XXLs I bought)....tried to figure out how to fill those - assumed I must pull out the white plastic end and fill - I did...but no matter what I do, those taste like burnt plastic. I have tried two of them - trying oh so hard to fill enough but not overfill but still, they taste horid - why?

Also ordered LR atomizers and blank carts - just in case I preferred 3 piece to 2 (since I'm a newb, figured I need to try all alternatives) - having issues with those as well - screwed on atomizer, pulled out blank cart, filled with juice (these are much smaller than the cartos I noticed - didn't take much to "fill" - screwed on and again, burnt plastic taste. When I pulled the cart off to check, the plastic part came off but the polyfill stayed in (stuck inside the atomizer)!! Arrghhh....

So, what is up with the burnt taste? I keep assuming it means I haven't put enough juice in, but when I add more, it obviously overfills because juice runs out back end and/or gets in my mouth. Suggestions?

2.) Vapor King from V4L - we have the pass thru, the auto battery and the manual battery - so far only using the manual battery. Much easier to use since the cartos are prefilled, but don't much like the taste of the WOW tobacco ones we chose....Vapor is MUCH better - but not much throat hit at all. I assume this is because these cartos are VG unlike the PG juice I'm using with the Riva. Here's the funny thing: I bought this one (I thought) for me as an "afterthought" - I had already purchased the Riva 510 and the E-Power 14560 and assumed my husband would use one of those. He smokes WAY more than I do, but when he took a drag off the Riva he literally coughed so hard he had tears coming out of his eyes and sounded like he was choking up a lung. Tried twice again - same freaking results!! It was awful for him! He HATED the Riva 510, BUT then he tried the Vapor King and LOVED IT!!! Much "smoother".....But, the bad thing is, I bought 24 mg nic for the Riva, and only 18 mb cartos for the Vapor King - so he's not getting his nic fix at all (and, subsequently, I think I am getting too much 'cause the 24 seems a bit too much for me - felt a bit "nic high" for a while last night). So, he's still subsidizing his e-cig with an analog. He also says he needs something with a bit stronger flavor and more throat hit, but he doesn't like the Riva at all....He's also convinced himself that he doesn't care if cartos are more expensive he doesn't want the hassle of filling them - he's a very "instant gratification" type of guy :) So now I need to know any recommendations for cartos he can use? Do they make prefilled cartos that already are part PG part VG? 'Cause I'm thinking that if he wants a slightly stronger throat hit, but still loves the vapor he getting and the "smoothness", he may need a blend to really get what he needs. Also I need to up his nic mg on the next order as well - and I need to order quickly because, unlike with the Riva and ordering 5 bottles and umpteen cartos and carts, I only ordered 5 cartos for the Vapor King.

To summarize my questions since this had turned into an epistle, they are as follows:

1.) I obviously need advice on "filling" - I'll start looking at some youtubes but I had done that last week and thought I knew what I was doing and apparently do not :) Any extra advice would be great. I assume the burnt plastic means I'm not doing something right (but if this is a wrong assumption and something else is happening please correct me).

2.) And please comment on whether my assumptions about leaking out the back end and/or the mouth does indeed mean I overfilled, or if that assumption is incorrect and there's something else at play....

3.) Also, when I turn it on, I notice smoke coming out between the battery and atomizer, as well as the end (before I take a drag) - is this normal? This happened with both the 2 piece combination and the 3 piece set up.

4.) Did I read somewhere that if juice leaks out the back end of the atomizer/carto (the part that screws into the batter) that can kill a battery?

5.) Can I get prefilled cartos for the Vapor King that are a blend of PG/VG? I also noticed when ordering that they didn't have much by the way of variety flavor in upper nic levels (which is why I ended up with the WOW Tobacco at 18) - and today when I looked they didn't have ANY VG cartos with ANYTHING over 18 (and I really think he needs something stronger like the 24 or possibly even 36 - he smokes 1 1/2 packs - 2 packs a day) -I hate for him to love that set up but not be able to purchase the nic he needs :(

6.) Alternatively (I figure I could do this at night for him) can I refill the Vapor King Cartos? Or is that bad?

7.) Any ideas on why he had SUCH a bad reaction to the Riva? I can't figure it out other than to think it's the PG? He smokes so much more than I do, I was really hoping he'd take one of the 510s cause he'll need the bigger battery, etc....I just can't understand why I love the Riva (doesn't make me cough at ALL) and it's like he's dying when he drags off it? Very weird!

Thank you all, once again, for reading my huge posts and helping a newb out!!!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
WOW that's quite the order. On an iPhone so I'll a couPlecof questions.
Mega or xxl cartos take A LOT OF JUICE. If not properly filled the first time they will taste burnt or fail prematurely.
The problem is getting juice down to the batt/ threaded end. I've tried all methods and this is the best method for ME. I fill a condom (the rubber cap the comes with the sr cartos) with juice. I then place the carto inside the condom and push down slowly. I repeat until the juice barely comes out the batt/ threaded end. I then blow OUT the batt end into a paper towel. WipE the threaded end off and vape.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Also I never realized the large quantity of juices these cartos held until I actually used the condom method. I was amazed and I Belive that was main my problem when first filling mega cartos. It truly gives an idea of how these things will hold. Day 7 on my SmokTech Mega DC 1.5 and it's Vaping like day 1.

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
A. I recommend simple Boge cartomizers to new vapors, not XL cartos which are harder to fill properly. XL cartos may need 2 methods to fill them with a separate method for the bottom of the carto. Somebody who uses them should be able to help you. At the bottom I'll attach how I fill simple single coil cartos like Boge and V4L (and Bloogplanet and SmokelessImage which are nice cartos you can use on V4L). Boge 510 cartos are very similar to the V4L cartos but threaded for 510.

B. V4L - I use manual batteries and the normal WOW juices and some other juices that are PG w/ 10-20% VG. I started with sample packs (not the VG ones - VG dulls TH). I still use V4L. Note - if he can inhale the V4L VG vapor, if you get some WOW or of the non-VG V4L samples maybe try 1 level lower nicotine because the throat hit will be stronger especially with the WOW juices.

----

1.) Hopefully someone will give you tips on filling dual coil xl cartos. I do not use them. Dual coils use your charge up twice as fast, deliver twice as much vapor which I don't need. I consider them something for people who wants to supercharge their experience, not for beginners. I recommend plain old Boge 510 cartos, the most popular cartos on 510-threaded devices. I use the standard reisstance 3 ohm which are just a bit warm and easier to learn on. Many prefer the hotter Boge 510 LR 2 ohm ones. I will attach how I fill Boge. I cannot help you with XL dual coils.

2.) leaking is overfilling or improperly cleaned up or improperly settled.

3.) Turn which on? Dual coils? I don't know. Does not happen to me in any noticeable way with Boge on Riva or with V4L. But it's cetainly possible since there are channels for airflow there

4.) Juice can kill auto batteries or any battery with an open hole in the threaded end for the juice to get into. I think the V4L manuals look somewhat sealed inside but we don't know how well. The SmokelessImage (and Bloogplanet, Halocigs) manuals are sealed better but have a 5-second cutoff that is a bit too short when using a manual since you want to press 1-2 seconds early and have nice vaper waiting as you start your drag that can leave only 3 seconds for dragging.

5.) Yes. V4L WOW juices to me seems like either 90PG/10VG or thinned 80PG/20VG. SmokelessImage and Bloogplanet are 80PG/20VG. And in other juices I only use PG w/ 10-20% VG. Any thicker ruins the drag some and seems to shorten the useful life of the carto for me. I can get 7 days use out of a V4L or Bloog carto. Try those Bloogplanet or SmokelessImage cartos too - nice bottom coils.

6.) Yes indeed. My instructions attached below (and it's easy after you do it once) - if you read how I do first fill, adding juice is similar but no need to settle because I never run the cartos dry. Run them dry and they get singed and that adds bitter singe to the taste permanently. I can get 7 days use out of a V4L carto and 10 out of a Boge if I keep them damp with thin clear juices (like V4L WOW juices). However, I recommend buying a spare manual battery.

7.) YES! XL dual coil cartos. Try Boge 3 ohm and then if you want hotter try Boge 2 ohm. And don't use 100% PG liquids if they are too harsh. OMG 100% PG with nicotine in a dual coil? I would not be able to inhale that. I recommend 80PG/20Vg for cartos and I recommend single coils unless somebody is looking to supercharge their experience. Boge 3 ohm to start, and for hotter Boge 2 ohm or the Kanger 510 2 ohm horizontal coil cartos.

-----
How I fill Boge 510 cartos and KR808D-1 cartos (V4L, SmokelessImage, Bloog)

With the carto off the battery... Pop out the soft cap with an unbent paperclip in the mouth hole, very careful not to catch stuffing or the wire loop.
Shake and open the eliquid

Fill
Hold a bit of tissue on the threaded end hole, tilt the carto, and add 18 drops per ml of capacity into the stuffing (Boges and most KR8 cartos are about 1ml).
Wait 15 seconds or so then see how many more drops the carto stuffing will soak in easily.

Cleanup
Clean up the threaded end, tilt open end down into tissue, puff into threaded end to clear air channel (Boges and the KR8 cartos I use have a defined center air channel and I want to see light through that) While the carto is still open end down, touch a soft bunch of tissue to the top of the stuffing to get the loose juice - this will help prevent leaks.

Settle (first fill only)
Cap and let it settle - I lay it on different sides for 15-20 minutes to make sure every bit of stuffing gets damp so I won't singe the carto. if you use thicker juice than me (I use 20% Vg or less) then you may need to wait much longer.

While vaping
While vaping, if the vapor gets a bit light or a bit dry or the carto is getting hotter than normal, I take the carto off the battery and add eliquid. Also, I use such light sediment-free juices, I can look at the stuffing and see if it needs juice because the stuffing goes back to near-white.

I often use a plastic or delrin drip tip as a mouthpiece on Boge and KR8 cartos (not to drip into since the juice would head for the central air channel). Easy to pop out to add juice.

Last edited:

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
I used to like the condom method until I tried a syringe.

1. Burnt taste means the wick and filler around the atomizer is dry. You need to make sure your cartos are filled correctly. The filler material has to stay wet at all times.

2. It may be you have over filled or you have juice in the air tube in the center of the carto. Blow gently through the mouthpiece while holding a cloth or napkin over the battery end then blow through the battery end to clear out the tube.

3. There are air slots on the bottom of your cartos that allow air to flow up through the cylinder. You may see a little puff of vapor from there. Make sure you tighten the carto enough to make a good contact with the battery but not too tight as you do not want to damage the battery.

4. Your automatic batteries have a hole in the center, and if juice leaks into that hole it will kill the battery. The manual batteries are sealed and will not be harmed by leaking. You should keep them clean, however, to maintain a good electrical connection.

5. I don't buy pre-filled cartos so I don't know the answer to this one.

6. You can fill pretty much any carto. If they are going to be used on an automatic battery you have to be very careful to not over fill them and make sure the center air tube is free of juice.

7. Higher nicotine will give a stronger "throat hit". You can mitigate that with juice that contains a higher VG content such as 70/30.

jlazarus

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Thank you so much for all your replies!!!!!

Regarding the hubby - Funny thing happened - after that first evening (and after my post here Sunday morning), he gave the Riva another try - and then decided he loved it. I think he was pulling too hard at first, and maybe of course since dual coil was getting too strong a vape at first, but he did get over it and wow - I was so excited because he only smoked 2 cigs the whole day!! Woohoo!!

Unfortunately, he had to leave first thing Monday morning to go out of the country on a business trip so he took reg smokes with him - but told me to go ahead and order him a BIG bottle of juice for when he returns (all I have right now are just a few small sample bottles).

Next on - Filling - I'm getting better, and all your tips on filling are great - except that these XL cartos are indeed slightly different than the regular ones I suppose - i.e., there is no white cap to remove (these came with tips), no condom with them (they just came with the tip on them in individual sealed packages)....but I have figured out how to fill for the most part...I still don't quite understand the "blowing out" the threaded end part but I'll do that on my next fill - I assume wiping it down and tilting the open end down will keep me from getting juice in my mouth when I blow it?

One last observation (and, again, it may be because my last fill still wasn't quite "right" and I didn't blow it out) but I've noticed that this carto doesn't seem to be vaping clean - meaning, it's not making those popping sizzling sounds very well and the juice seems to be "gurgling" a bit....I'll get better at this I'm sure!!!

Thanks all!!

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
However, there is another package of what I assume are the shorter length (Smok Tech Dual Coil XL?) that came *with* the kit. However, these don't have a plastic tip on them, and instead have what looks like a white plastic end cap with a hole in it.

I'm going to guess that those are atomizers with cartridges - not cartomizers. I got some with my E-Power and I just threw them in a box because they intimidate me.

It sounds like your husband may like 24mg Wow juice from Vapor4Life. Too much VG dulls the throat hit and there's not much of a selection for all-VG. I would highly recommend the Wow Coffee. If he loves tobacco flavors I think that V4L makes one that's very good but I can't remember what it's called. People rave about it. Maybe someone will chime in.

2.) And please comment on whether my assumptions about leaking out the back end and/or the mouth does indeed mean I overfilled, or if that assumption is incorrect and there's something else at play....

Did you put the carto back on the rubber condom thingie before filling it? If it's V4L, you need to put the "....-plug" on, then the condom, and no juice will escape.

6.) Alternatively (I figure I could do this at night for him) can I refill the Vapor King Cartos? Or is that bad?

Yes, you can refill them quite a few times before they give up the ghost.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Sandy,
If you have never used the atomizer before, blow thru it holding a tissue at the batt end...all atties have shipping primer fluid in them and not doing this will make everything taste absoutley awful....when done with that, drip 4 drops on atty....let it set a few seconds and vape, slowly at first to make sure you have enuff juice on it. hope this helps...
:)

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
I HIGHLY recommend you fill your cartos with a syringe. Especially the XL ones since they take a LOT of juice. If you drip into the top you are going to have to wait a LONG time for the juice to settle. Youll get that burnt taste if the juice hasnt settled enough. A syringe is much easier bc there is no waiting since you push the needle all the way to the bnottom and fill from there.
Heres how to do it. This is a copy and paste bc Im lazy to type the whole thing. Sorry. Its for a Ressurector carto, but this is really for all cartos. Just put however much juice in the syringe that your cartos hold. If you dont know then put extra and SLOWLY fill them. Youll see the polyfilthat you can see become wet as the juice rises near the top. Once the polyfill looks "slushy" at the top, it is full.
Heres how.

How to fill a cartomizer with a syringe:

"All you have to do is take the dropper part of the bottle off your juice and fill your syringe with 2ml for a new carto. Take the rubber tip off the carto and carefully insert the needle down the side pushing against the metal. DO NOT go thru the filler because it will move it and you could potentially break a connection and your carto. Slide the needle down the side and go all the way to the bottom. Then slowly start dispensing some juice. Dont dispense it all bc then it won't be evenly distributed. Put alittle in, then take it out and insert the needle in a different spot. I normally do it in 3 spots (in a triangle) I found it distributes the best, but you could just do it in 2, on opposite sides. Make sure the needle is at the bOttom bc then you will not have to wait at all for it to settle. Disperse slowly and you will begin to see the toP of the filler become slushy. It is full then, don't put more. If its a new carto is will def hold 2ml, if your refilling it won't take a lot so pay attention and once it gets alittle slushy stop. While your filling hold a napkin or something under the carto bc if you do it too fast a few drops will come out the battery end. If that happens its only bc you did it too fast and the poly fill didn't absorb quick enough.( that happens to me bc I am impatient and fill it in about 10 sec, so I just hold a paper towel or napkin underneath.) wipe up the drops and put the rubber cap back on the carto. Then put the carto between your hands and rub back and forth spinning the carto quickly. This will insure the liquid is evenly distributed in case you put too much on one side from the syringe.
Now you have a perfectly filled ressurector that is ready to be used right away!"

There ya go. I know it seems alittle intimadating at first, but its really easy. Try a few times and youll get the hang of it quickly. This will ensure your cartos are filled correctly and it will def cut down on you potentially getting that burnt taste cause theres not enough juice.

Also I would check out the Ressurector cartos from Crystal Clear Vaping for your Riva. They are incredible. They are
1.7ohm and hold 2ml of juice. They are single coil but many people feel they produce vapor similar to a dual coil, me included. And since they are single coil they wont drain your battery like a dual coil will. I actually like the Ressurectors better than dual coils. I find some dual coils dull the flavors of your juices. The Ressurectors give great flavor.
CCV includes a free syringe with all carto purchases. Its a perfect syringe to fill with. Thats what I use to fill all of mine.
They also have Boges and if you get a 15-pack they give you a free drip tip also. And they have free shipping which is nice.

Hope this helps!
Goodluck!

jlazarus

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Also I would check out the Ressurector cartos from Crystal Clear Vaping for your Riva. They are incredible. They are
1.7ohm and hold 2ml of juice. They are single coil but many people feel they produce vapor similar to a dual coil, me included. And since they are single coil they wont drain your battery like a dual coil will. I actually like the Ressurectors better than dual coils. I find some dual coils dull the flavors of your juices. The Ressurectors give great flavor.
CCV includes a free syringe with all carto purchases. Its a perfect syringe to fill with. Thats what I use to fill all of mine.
They also have Boges and if you get a 15-pack they give you a free drip tip also. And they have free shipping which is nice.

Hope this helps!
Goodluck!
Thanks so much for the instructions for filling the Resurrectors! I don't have them yet, but purchased some last week and can't wait to try them :) Hoping they come in the mail today! I actually also bought an E-Power as well, but I'm really digging the Riva so may use the Ressurectors on that. We'll see ;-)

I am obsessed with vaping, lol!!!

Thanks again!

chatter97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2011
Woodstock Georgia
The initial hit your husband took and experienced is common to people new to vaping, from my experience. When I started a friend who vapes, gave me a glass of water and told me this might hurt the throat the first time. the first two or three pulls were murder and I gulped water immediately after each one. After that my throat adjusted and all was fine. Glad to hear you have allot of patience with figuring this stuff out. If you are using cartridges(atomizer and cartridge) a good thing to do is drop 2-3 drops onto the atomizer each time you do a total refill of the cart. If you are dripping, for a 510 you want to put 3-4 drops into the atomizer, then attach drip tip, let sit for 30 seconds and drop 2-3 more drops in(actually do this before attaching the drip tip). Then you are set to go for a couple of puffs. when the flavor disappears or you get a nasty taste put 2-3 more drops in. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but with practice it gets easier.

Also, when I fill cartos without a syringe, I put 2-3 drops into the top and then shake the carto like you would prime a thermometer. This helps to get the juice lower. repeat. Continue till the batting looks wet and slushy.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
Rob - do you use the large Ressurectors? I don't want to be bothered with a syringe and would rather use the dropper and a regular size carto. Which would you use in that case?
Sandy

The Ressurectors only come in one size. They hold 2ml of juice. Using a syringe is VERY easy and if you follow the directions I gave on how to fill cartos with a syringe you wont have a problem at all. Its actually much easier. If you really dont want to use a syringe then I would stay away from larger cartos bc it will take quite awhile to fill them.
Id get Boge cartomizers if your looking for regular sized ones. They are popular and a lot of people like them. Even with them though I would still use a syringe. I hate that you have to wait so long for juices to settle when you drip into the top.
Plus doing that normally creates a bigger risk that you could singe the wick. If you dont wait long enough for the juice to settle you can ruin it.
CCV(the ones that sell the Ressurectors) also sell Boges. They have free shipping which is nice if you just want to order cartos. And if you get a 15-pack you get a free drip tip too.

What PG/VG ratio are your juices sandybeach?

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Congrats on your new kits! You've recieved excellent tips and advice, and I have nothing to add.
Don't feel alone in your frustration over the lack of instructions. I wish the starter kits came with instructions and find it hard to believe they still don't. What's up with that??? I wish we (ECF) could rally for good instructions to be included in the kits. The cartos are all so different as well, and each has their own style of filling. It's mind boggleing. I wish every vendor had a tutorial on their site, not only for the kit, but for the cartos and attys. They're on youtube, it wouldn't take that much effort to put them on their site.

On the other hand, my Volt came with instructions... and I didn't need them due to having been through the learning curves with previous pv's.
I think from now on, I'm going to only recommend the Volt. Not only is it a great pv, but it also has instructions for newbies.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
haha sorry. Where are your juices from? PG is thin while VG is thick. So if the juice is fairly thick, it prob has a good bit of VG in it. If they are thick, then dripping in the top will take a LONG time to settle.

I know filling with a syringe seems hard and intimidating, but it really is very easy. If you follow the instructions I gave you will be able to do it no problem. Any cartos you get from CCV come with a free syringe. I recommend that you at least TRY filling a carto with a syringe. If you dont like it, then fil another way. But I think you should at least try it once.
I think youll surprise yourself with how easy it is.
What I would do is at least use a syringe for the FIRST fill. The first fill is very important and takes a good bit of juice to fully saturate the polyfill. Plus it needs to be filled correctly the first time so you dont burn the wick/ruin your carto.
So what I would do is use a syringe for the first fill and then you can periodically keep adding some drops into the carto with a dropper bottle.
If your juices are fairly thin, this works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread