Yet another "Help me choose a mech" thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuukon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
Wyoming, USA
Hey guys. Todd here...

Er wait... I'm not Todd.

Ugh, too much YouTube tonight...

Aaaaaaanyway, I'm looking for another mech mod to add to my collection. Clones only sadly, otherwise I'd pick up something shnazzy like a Poldiac. I'm looking for something with a floating pin and a magnetic switch.

I've already got a Sentinel clone, Stingray, 69, and a Pisces-T (again, all clones). I'm really loving the Stingray, but would like another mod actually fairly akin to it, but perhaps a different style. Again, a floating contact pin and magnetic switch are a must. If nothing else, the Stingray has spoiled me in that regard. It's just so nice.

I'm also fine with a side mounted switch. Really love that part of the 69 mod, but that top pin can be a real pain. So side top fire, side bottom fire, bottom fire, all work for me, but it's GOT to be magnetic.

So yeah, there you have it.

And maybe we should start a thread devoted just to this topic and get a mod to sticky it? :)

Ryuukon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
Wyoming, USA
I want to make/modify my sentinel to a magnetic switch. That would be cool as I like everything else about it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I like my Sentinel too, but it's pretty shoddy, even for a clone. The threads on my top cap are about shot, so my Patriot stays on it now full time.

HCigar Windrose Mod? I been eyeballing these the past few days.

HCigar Windrose Magnetic Mods Clone

I was looking at those too, but that pin is just not gonna work for me. I don't see why manufacturers do that when a floating pin is sooooo much more convenient.

I've also been looking at the Panzer clone on FT, but I refuse to order from them. I can handle the long shipping times, but after their first "batch" of Panzer Blackhawks and the bad spray paint job they did on it... They even spray painted the threads... Yeah they're never getting a dime from me.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
I like my Sentinel too, but it's pretty shoddy, even for a clone. The threads on my top cap are about shot, so my Patriot stays on it now full time.

I use mine as a dedicated dripping setup. My nimbus clone rda only comes off for rebuilds. Yeah, aluminum top cap = weak. But it was CHEAP! So that was expected.

The Ministry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Cramlington, Northumberland, UK
I think the V2 has the floating pin - the original V1 didn't - least as far as I know. I was looking into the Magneto recently and some of the reviews of the V1 put me off (I need an adjustable pin) - read further into it and the V2 fixed it by offering an adjustable pin.

Looks like a decent bit of kit

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
Just out of curiosity, why is a magnetic switch "absolute necessary?" You effectively cut off a huge chunk of options, especially since many of them can be fitted with magnets later on if you feel you need it.

I'd say to look at the Tree of Life clone by Infinite. It's by far the best clone I own (and I own a couple you listed), but it doesn't meet your criteria of having a magnetic switch.

Ryuukon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
Wyoming, USA
Just out of curiosity, why is a magnetic switch "absolute necessary?" You effectively cut off a huge chunk of options, especially since many of them can be fitted with magnets later on if you feel you need it.

I'd say to look at the Tree of Life clone by Infinite. It's by far the best clone I own (and I own a couple you listed), but it doesn't meet your criteria of having a magnetic switch.

I just vastly prefer magnetic switches. They seem to jam up less often as the resistance is constant, unlike a spring that you wind up having to stretch back out after heavy use.

And I'd rather have a stock magnetic switch since not all magnet upgrades are worthwhile. A lot of people sell weak magnets or magnets with a bad conductive plating that has a huge voltage drop.

That being said...

Has anybody had any experience with the magnet upgrade kits from FatDaddyVapes? They seem to be quality kits, and if they are, I might broaden my search to include some spring switches that I COULD upgrade later.

Still kind of a stickler on the floating pin though...

Last edited:

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I just vastly prefer magnetic switches. They seem to jam up less often as the resistance is constant, unlike a spring that you wind up having to stretch back out after heavy use.

And I'd rather have a stock magnetic switch since not all magnet upgrades are worthwhile. A lot of people sell weak magnets or magnets with a bad conductive plating that has a huge voltage drop.

That being said...

Has anybody had any experience with the magnet upgrade kits from FatDaddyVapes? They seem to be quality kits, and if they are, I might broaden my search to include some spring switches that I COULD upgrade later.

Still kind of a stickler on the floating pin though...

I have multiple sets from Fat Daddy. He is the best in the biz.

Ryuukon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
Wyoming, USA
I finally just ordered an Infinite Panzer clone along with magnets from Fat Daddy. People are saying that with a little sand paper and some patience you can make the pin into a true floating pin. That along with the magnets should make for a decent mod, and I've heard it's got little voltage drop. Plus I've got my hopes up that with the styling on the top cap I'll be able to flush mount my Winsmoke Squape clone to tighten up the draw a bit while still allowing acceptable airflow. And even if it doesn't that's fine too, but would be a nice bonus.

Guess I'll find out Thursday. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread