(4) Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor
1. Power Source -- Battery or Mod/APV. (APV = Advanced Personal Vaporizer)
2. Juice Delivery Device -- often a clearomizer (a tank that uses premade coils).
3. Heating element. Often called a coil that is located inside the tank. Needs to be replaced when flavors become muted or vapor production falls off. May last 1-3 weeks depending on how much you vape.
4. E-liquid. Often called juice. Contains nicotine of various concentrations.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE:
- 2 Batteries
- 1 Charger
- USB/Wall Adaptor
- Juice Delivery Device (tank)
- bottled E-Liquid
Vision eGo Spinner, Joyetech eGo Twist, or Kanger Evod variable voltage batteries. Need two.
A battery's expected time of use between charges is rated in "mAh". 100 mAh = 1 hour. A 650 mAh battery can be expected to work for 6.5 hours, a 1000 mAh battery expected to last 10 hours between charges. Thus you'll need more than a single battery to be able to vape all day.
The number one rule in vaping is to have "Backups for Your Backups". You can't vape if your only battery stops working, your only tank breaks, your only coil dies, or you run out of juice. Don't give yourself the excuse to buy a pack of cigarettes when your vape stops.
eGo battery charger and USB wall adaptor
The following Tutorial applies to either the Spinner or Twist eGo batteries:
Juice Delivery Devices:
I recommend getting at least a couple of clearomizers. These will be screwed onto the battery device. These are easy tanks for beginners to fill and use. Some are considered disposable, while most have a replacement wick/coil head assembly which can be replaced every 10 - 20 days to extend the life of the tank. These replacement coil heads are not intercompatible between different models or brands, so be sure to order the right replacement heads for your tank. The heating coils of the coil heads are rated in ohms (resistance) and should be available in different ohms to suit your personal preferences.
Lower Ohm Coils Will:
Higher Ohm Coils Will:
- Heat The Coil Faster
- Produce More Vapor
- Drain The Battery Faster
- Use E-Juice Faster
- Produce A Warmer Tasting Vape
- Heat The Coil Slower, Which Will Produce “Less” Vapor
- Provide A “Cooler” Tasting Vape
- Use Less E-Juice
- Prolong Battery Life
Kanger Evod clearomizers
The Innokin iClear 16; Aspire CE5; Kanger Evod, T3S or Protank; or a Mini Vivi Nova made by Aspire or Vision are commonly recommended clearomizers for beginners. You may wish to upgrade to the better (and more expensive) Aspire Mini Nautilus or Kanger Mini Aerotank clearoomizers, which feature air intake control to be able to adjust the draw and amount of vapor.
Whichever you choose, get two; use the second one for a backup or to use with a second flavor. You should also consider getting some replacement coil heads at this time of the particular clearomizer model that you choose (replacement coil heads are usually proprietary for the particular tank you choose).
Evod, Mini Protank, and T3S by Kanger
Iclear 16 by Aspire
CE5 and Mini Nova by Aspire
Nautilus and Mini Nautilus by Aspire
*All the above can be found at most online e-cigarette retailers (ie AltSmoke, Discount Vapers, My Vapor Store, et al). You can buy these parts individually or in a starter kit. The e-liquid will need to be purchased separately.
More Advanced Starter Setups
iStick 30 watt with Aspire Nautilus clearomizer and iTaste MVP 30 watt with iClear 30 clearomizer
Perhaps a more advanced/intermediate battery setup, like the above iStick 20/30 watt or Innokin iTaste MVP 30 watt, would better suit your needs. These use internal non-removeable batteries which can be recharged with a USB charger cord. They will offer:
- Longer battery time between charges (2 - 3 days) than an eGo battery
- Ability to vape while charging the battery (called "pass through ability")
- More powerful battery than an eGo to use attachments requiring more power (RBA's)
- May delay the desire to upgrade to a more advanced setup at a later time.
- Allows the use of super low resistance atomizers (sub-ohm)
- Built-in voltage (battery meter) and resistance (ohm reader) meters
- Variable power settings (variable voltage & wattage).
- More durable than an eGo battery, but this comes at the expense of being bulkier in size and weight, and being less pocket friendly than an eGo pen
Juice, or e-liquid:
For e-liquid, the typical nicotine recommendations are as follows:
1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg
Figure on consuming at least 2 - 3 ml of liquid daily. Bottles are usually 10 or 30 ml volume.
PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.
E-liquid generally has concentrated nicotine, propylene glycol (Pg), vegetable glycerin (Vg) and flavoring extracts.
The ratio of Pg to Vg is known as the pg/vg ratio, and a 50/50 blend is common.
PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin in consistancy.
VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick in consistancy.
Tips for Novices Seeking Tobacco/Cigarette Flavors________________________________
A Word on Vaping Technique
Vaper's Tongue: What is it and what can be done?
I created a picture dictionary of the more common juice delivery attachments. To gain knowledge of how these devices look and differ from one another click on the links below:
Proper Terminology: Is It a Carto? A Tank? Or What? A Primer on Common Juice Delivery AttachmentsTypical starter setups: Ego batteries (fixed voltage) with various clearomizers (first three to the left). Vision Spinner eGo variable voltage battery with Mini Nautilus clearomizer (middle). Eleaf iStick mod with Mini Nautilus clearomizer (far right).
Beginner Guide to Vaping
How E-cigarettes Work
You need to be logged in to comment