Power and charging

A lot of people have been debating about charging via the USB ports of regulated mods as many appear to have concept taken from AC or mechanical aspects of electrical devices that are not correct.

Here's the run down about this.

Most newer regulated mods have charging circuits that are either similar or the same as per any other electronic devices such as cell phones, tablets, etc.

This circuit manages the incoming power according the the specifications that they are build to do.

Using any power source, either your computer port or a wall socket adapter, normally, the circuits will absorb the power that it's rated and specified to do.

If your mod is rated for 1A, it will charge up to 1A.
If you provide a lower power, such as 0.5A as per a computer port, the mod will simply charge at this 0.5A capacity and just be slower.
If you provide a 1A adapter, it will charge at 1A.
If you provide it with a 2A adapter, it will still be charging at 1A as this is it's maximum charging set, and will simply not take more than that.

For more questions about charging with USB, just read this article: The Basics of USB Battery Charging: A Survival Guide - Tutorial - Maxim

It explains very well how charging units functions... it's a bit technical, but overall it explains how a charging circuits starts off checking the incoming power and limits it quite low, then increases to balance between the available incoming power and how it will increase the incoming load to it's "set" maximum should the incoming power matches (or is higher, which it will cut off).

Another good link I found was this one: How to: Understanding power consumption

Voltage is very important, USB devices are set for 5V, no more, no less, otherwise it's going to be a problem for the device... aka, that's what it's been built to work with.

Amps are taken in... "pulled" or a better word might be "consumed".

Basically, the device is going to take as much Amps as 1) it is set to absorb, and 2) going up to that limit, it will gobble everything it gets (but again, NOT more than it's set to gobble, so if the device can take in 1A, giving it 2A isn't going to change that it's only going to take 1A and never mind the extra, BUT if you give it only 0.5A, it will simply be taking 0.5A as that's all that's coming in, it cannot "force" more Amp. from the adapter, it cannot create a vacuum that would force the adapter to produce more Amps.)

Let me know if I missed something, and please go read and enjoy all my other entries as I'm building my blog, I'm trying to cover every aspect of vaping that I know about. I'll keep adding items as I think of them and have the time to write them.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
Imfallen_Angel
Views
Last update

More entries in ECF Blogs

More entries from Imfallen_Angel