The "95%" safer than smoking thing....

First I must state the disclaimer that we do not know the range of how "safe" vaping is to an absolute. I'm going with info that I've read about from reliable sources throughout the last few years, but I didn't bookmark them at the time otherwise I'd post the links here. I will post a few that I do have.

That said: vaping is NOT 95% safer, it is AT LEAST 95% (actually it's now more like 99% now, see below)

That 5% was about "unknown possibilities" (and partly about nicotine). It could be 5% but it could be 0.0000001%, and the more science coming through and the more test done... the more that percentage shrinks.

That original 5% number it was only given as a "safety" margin.

There's been more research and new data since the UK's Royal College of Physicians original report.

This relates to:
  1. the potential that nicotine isn't as addictive as always believed as there's starting to find that it's a combination of the other chemicals in cigarettes that enhances this dependency.

And most long term smokers can tell you that even with nicotine to almost overdose levels, they still go through withdrawals, and then later on, they tend to lower the nicotine level more and more and ween themselves off it completely... something that if it was the nicotine only, no one would be able to manage it.

2. research about the potential that vaping might actually be "good" to fight off infection, as PG IS an actual anti-bacterial agent.

This jives with what I've seen... my wife would get pneumonia 2-3 times a year (she has MS, so prone to lung infections, plus the smoking didn't help) and since vaping, she's had 1 or 2 in nine years.I've had a other few people reporting very similar experiences
  3. vaping has been around for a longer time than most realize... so there's plenty of example / test subjects
  4. PG has been used since the 1950s in many ways, including as an aerosol in hospital to "clean" the air (anti-bacterial properties)... via the air systems. There is a long of historical research done to back the effects of PG and VG on living tissue, including animal research since the 50s... which is why it's 100% approved by all health institution as regarded as completely safe.
  5. More research was done lately looking at the affect from exposure in lung tissue.

Here a link to one of these studies: Comparison of select analytes in aerosol from e-cigarettes with smoke from conventional cigarettes and with ambient air

It's not one of the ones that I've read before (I should have bookmarked them) but the point is the same. They found no DNA mutation, no effect, etc. Basically, no difference between the lung exposed to vape compared to regular air we breathe...

In other words, walking next to cars on a busy street is worse than vaping.

In conclusion (for now)

New reports about this "5%"
(my thanks to another member for providing me with these links real quick)

The second link is a direct link to a PDF document found in the first link, pertaining to that 95% thing we started with, and states: that it is now regarded as below that, even stating 1% or less (already!).

" The estimate that e-cigarette use is around 95% safer than smoking is based on the facts that:

1. the constituents of cigarette smoke that harm health including carcinogens are either absent in e-cigarette vapour or, if present, they are mostly at levels much below 5% of smoking doses (mostly below 1% and far below safety limits for occupational exposure)
  2. the main chemicals present in e-cigarettes only have not been associated with any serious risk"

And what about second hand vapor?

Here you go:
  • Solving the myths of Second Hand Vapor

Here's a sample of their conclusion if you don't want to click: "Currently, new bans are going up all over the place, and now in National Parks, but the reality is, the big RV that’s driving through Yellowstone, will be harming the air you breathe far more than anyone who is using an electronic cigarette. Yes, we know e-cigarettes are safer for the environment (not to mention how much less trash is created, and fewer trees cut down) but in the second-hand sense, they are even less harmful than what you breathe when you are parked in traffic or pumping gas into your car."
  • Is second hand vapor harmful? - Vaping360

Lots of links to studies, but again, here's their conclusion (sample): "But there is no proven health risk to secondhand vapor. Despite what the paranoid proponents of denormalization say, there is no vape smoke. That said, we still face adoption of laws that make it illegal for private businesses to allow vaping on their premises, which implies that there is some danger to secondhand e-cig vapor."

The whole diacetyl thing.... I've done a separate blog about that, go read it if interested.

More links for reading about research done about the health impact, or replies from experts about so-called research that makes vaping look bad.:

Let me know if I missed something, and please go read and enjoy all my other entries as I'm building my blog, I'm trying to cover every aspect of vaping that I know about. I'll keep adding items as I think of them and have the time to write them.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
Imfallen_Angel
Views
Last update

More entries in ECF Blogs

More entries from Imfallen_Angel