The whole diacetyl thing

I'm re-hashing text I wrote a while back and belongs in a blog instead of where I had it.

Simply: The whole diacetyl thing... if that would be a problem, you'd be dead already if you ever smoked cigarettes.

Cigarettes has HUNDREDs of times more diacetyl and every other chemical that the witch hunt is using to scare people with. But you don't hear that in the news, do you? Ever heard of a single smoker getting popcorn lungs?

What started it all?
It was the court case of the pop-corn factory, where the word diacetyl was "the scary big word" that the lawyers used over and over, and even with NO scientific proof that it was the "guilty" chemical, (and not the other dozens of other chemicals these people inhaled at extremely high levels, plus the fact that they were heavy smokers), the word stuck and any mention of it is an instant association to the pop-corn lung scenario.

What is the actual situation?
There is nothing, not one thing so far, after over 10 years, that has been showed, reported, etc. to be any sort of recognized and proven health issue with vaping. There is yet to be a single proven and solid scientific result about it causing any harm at all and it's been around in food for decades.

Every case of anything relating to popcorn lung or such is always linked to studies and such that always state the word "possible" and usually include a huge lists of other possible chemicals, circumstances, etc. Not a single conclusive confirmation. The only thing in common that I've seen/read about about anyone that suffered from this is that they smoked a lot and were exposed to a lot of chemicals at extremely high levels.

Not one... nope, not a single person admitted to the hospital, treated, found to have any ailment from anything that has to do with vaping.

(I had one member in here stating that his father ended up with this "popcorn lung disease" due to smoking, in a thread discussing the topic, but as this disease is noted to be caused by infection and other criteria, when I tried to ask for more info, he simply disappeared from the thread.)

Worse than that, I've seen that there's been some studies lately that are being worked on that are showing possibilities that vaping is actually helping people fight lung infections, so on top of everything, vaping might actually be healthy for you.

What's in vaping liquid, unless you're getting it in an alley in the back of a truck, there should never be more than 4 things... PG, VG, flavouring, nicotine, the last two being optional, all of them tested and used for decades and proven to have absolutely no ill effect, unless the person has a sensitivity (allergy) to it... and even then, it's just a bit of an irritation, yet to hear anything more than a discomfort or such.

Now I'm not saying that it's impossible that something could have some effect in time, but at this point, it's simply been blown out of proportion. We have many thousands of vapers that's been vaping for close or over 10 years with not a single health issue relating to their vaping and the content of the liquids..

Don't believe me? here's some links:

The Truth About Diacetyl - Mt Baker Vapor
Popcorn Lung & E-Cigs: The Truth About Diacetyl
Should vapers be concerned about vaping diacetyl? - Vaping360

What is the status of diacetyl and other "chemicals"?

Well, the propaganda has died down about it at this point as after a few more years later, there is still not a single case of "popcorn lung" (or any other confirmable ill effect) via vaping that has happened.

Let me know if I missed something, and please go read and enjoy all my other entries as I'm building my blog, I'm trying to cover every aspect of vaping that I know about. I'll keep adding items as I think of them and have the time to write them.

Comments

Blog entry information

Author
Imfallen_Angel
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in ECF Blogs

More entries from Imfallen_Angel