New Protank broken! Weak threads. Buyer beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digs

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Ohio
I bought a Kanger ProTank after hearing so many good things about it but today my ProVari fell off my nightstand onto the carpet and the bottom threads of the tank snapped off leaving them inside my Provari's connection. This is the first time I've dropped my ProVari with this tank and I'm pretty upset that it couldn't take a 2 foot fall onto carpet.

I've dropped my ProVari on CONCRETE with my ViVi Nova's many times and never have they broke. They've came apart before but never has the metal snapped in half like this tank.

Anyways.. I just wanted to vent my frustration with this tank and let others who may be considering buying it know that the metal connection is cheap and will probably break the first time you drop it.

Tempus Fugit

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2009
Mos Eisley, Tatooine, Outer Rim
I'm usually a dripper, but I have found that I like the Protank better than all of the other disappointing tank type things I have tried. I have been extremely careful about dropping it because riding on top of an eVic, it feels like it weighs about two pounds. I have dropped it a couple of times on carpet with no damage, luckily. The Protank does not seem very portable, even though that's mostly what I use it for. In your case, I guess you are lucky that only the threads broke and not actually the glass.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I think your frustration will help to remind us all to treat them like the delicate flowers they may be!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I bought a Kanger ProTank after hearing so many good things about it but today my ProVari fell off my nightstand onto the carpet and the bottom threads of the tank snapped off leaving them inside my Provari's connection. This is the first time I've dropped my ProVari with this tank and I'm pretty upset that it couldn't take a 2 foot fall onto carpet.

I've dropped my ProVari on CONCRETE with my ViVi Nova's many times and never have they broke. They've came apart before but never has the metal snapped in half like this tank.

Anyways.. I just wanted to vent my frustration with this tank and let others who may be considering buying it know that the metal connection is cheap and will probably break the first time you drop it.

Must have been the Provari protecting them..................LOL J/K

Seriously the ViVi does not have a cupped out base to allow a coil to be mounted. BBC=tighter/thinner machining.
NOT DESIGNED FOR DROPPING ON CONCRETE or even carpet;)
It is all in angle of attack
Designed for Vaping :D

Honest question
Would you complain if your cell phone was trashed from dropping on concrete? As Vapers we sure do complain a lot about things that are kind of expected to happen.

Last edited:

Cyia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Independence, Missouri
Had that happen to my husband. His Segeli V3 fell off his desk onto tile floor and bam, snapped that base connector and left it in the 510 connection. Thankfully we pulled it out and it wasn't wedged in there but now we have 1 protank without a bottom.

I know discountvapors sells replacement bottom caps but they are 95% of the time sold out and when they get more in, they are practically gone that day.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Yep - a couple of us were comparing notes the other night about Protank threads bending or breaking off. I thought it was funny that Discount Vapers sells replacement bases (currently OOS), but notes:

Due to overwhelming demand only 5 bases at a time may be ordered in this run.

Hmmm...kinda says something, doesn't it?

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
As usual its made from as cheap as materials as they could find. Quality was not a top or even a middle priority with this product. If you want quality grab a Kayfun or a Ithaka or comparable, but you gotta pay un fortunatly we dont seem to have many middle ground priced Items. You have high end or cheap. I did see there is a Kayfun Clone for about 60 or 70$ cheaper than a kayfun. I see a few mechanical moders are making some reasoniably priced mods hopefully some attys will follow.

Cyia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Independence, Missouri
As usual its made from as cheap as materials as they could find. Quality was not a top or even a middle priority with this product. If you want quality grab a Kayfun or a Ithaka or comparable, but you gotta pay un fortunatly we dont seem to have many middle ground priced Items. You have high end or cheap. I did see there is a Kayfun Clone for about 60 or 70$ cheaper than a kayfun. I see a few mechanical moders are making some reasoniably priced mods hopefully some attys will follow.

That's kind of my deal. I'm only willing to spend so much before my Vape budget hands come out. I'm splurging on a mod come next month, and there are a few things I will continue to buy for quality over quantity but a tank right now for my budget is about the $20 range, cheaper if I can find it.

Also for giggles and fun, where might I take a look at a Kayfun and the clone at by chance?

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
The quality of the bases seems to very, I had one of the first runs of protanks and the base and threads were a bit thicker, I got three that were noticeably thinner than another that was thick again. Not sure what this says but if your really worried about it and like the protank
Tatroe tank bottom cap
and if you want bullet proof you can get this to go with it.
Tatroe Tank 3.2ML Smooth

I'd much rather it was my protank that broke in a fall instead of my Provari's 510 connector. Something has to give.

Last edited:

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
I was going to say that, you beat me to it, I just got a confirmation that my two tanks with bases, shipped today, from cig techs, on sunday they shipped them! I am off work til tuesday, and I was hoping they would make it by then. I think that they are closed on sunday, I am impressed, I might still get them in time.

The quality of the bases seems to very, I had one of the first runs of protanks and the base and threads were a bit thicker, I got three that were noticeably thinner than another that was thick again. Not sure what this says but if your really worried about it and like the protank
Tatroe tank bottom cap
and if you want bullet proof you can get this to go with it.
Tatroe Tank 3.2ML Smooth

I'd much rather it was my protank that broke in a fall instead of my Provari's 510 connector. Something has to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread