Brand new Protank 3 Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

edibowls

Oct 25, 2013
Jarrettsville
I got my Kanger Protank 3, two days ago and the bottom of the dual coil atomizer (that came with it) appears as if the O ring wasn't attached properly (at the base where it screws into the bottom of the tank) because I noticed that was the case with the unused one as well. I believe this is causing a slight leak because I've noticed e-juice down close to the battery, I have the Chi You clone by Hcigar. Bit also the top part of the tank appears to be uneven with the glass chamber. What should I do to fix this?

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
A little juice or condensation at the bottom connector and on the battery terminal is okay. Are you getting gurgling? If not, just maintain the connection by cleaning it often. It should be fine.

I've also noticed that the first Protank II I bought has an uneven glass portion. I assume due to mass production, not all of them come out perfect. It is oddly enough, my best performing tank. Even better than the second one I received.

All in all, if you aren't getting gurgling or beads of juice flooding down there's really not much to worry about. Nearly all BCC will leave some form of juice leaking condensation around that area. Maybe upload some pictures of the faulty O-ring and someone who owns a PT3 can chime in with their expertise.

Vape well, vape often :vapor:

proper403

Oct 27, 2013
Got my protank 3 a few days ago and I'm really disappointed with it. It has a really airy draw compared to the pt2, and flavors seem really muted. One thing I've noticed that really irritates me is how long you need to initially start firing your mod for it to start vaping. On a pt2 (or any of my other numerous attys/cartos etc.), as soon as you fire the vape comes immediately.
Also, the extra head that came in the box was garbage, it had NO draw at all. I tried tinkering with it but to no avail.
I'll keep vaping on my 3 pt2's, Vivi novas and evods - this pt3 has been relegated to nothing but spare parts for me. Such a shame.

fwdkiller253

Oct 18, 2013
seattle
Got my protank 3 a few days ago and I'm really disappointed with it. It has a really airy draw compared to the pt2, and flavors seem really muted. One thing I've noticed that really irritates me is how long you need to initially start firing your mod for it to start vaping. On a pt2 (or any of my other numerous attys/cartos etc.), as soon as you fire the vape comes immediately.
Also, the extra head that came in the box was garbage, it had NO draw at all. I tried tinkering with it but to no avail.
I'll keep vaping on my 3 pt2's, Vivi novas and evods - this pt3 has been relegated to nothing but spare parts for me. Such a shame.

Its works great for me maybe its a user's error.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Another initial experience review. I got the ProTank 3 last night. I have a collection of ProTank-II's for comparison.

I filled the tank, let it sit for an hour or so to juice the wicks, then started vaping. The first draw had very little vapor (2.1-ohm as measured by the ProVari at 3.8v). Maybe it needed more priming (doubt it), but kept vaping it. Second draw started to get a hint of a gurgle. 3rd draw, full gurgle. 4th draw, hot comets. 5th draw, unusable.

I disassembled it, cleaned it out, filled it up, and let it sit upright on some toilet paper overnight. No leaking, no juice in the air tube. Maybe it was the high center post on the ProVari, so I mounted it on an eGo Twist. Same experience as last night on the ProVari.

It's too early to tell what's causing the leakage, but has to be one of 3 things:
1) Heat causing liquid to become thin enough to flood through the massive amount of stacked wick.
2) Very little pressure on the center post breaking a seal somehow.
3) Drawing, even gently, is pulling way too much juice into the chamber.

I'll report back with more findings, which at this point will take some time and lots of experimentation. I haven't installed the 2nd atomizer that came in the package (both were 2.0-ohm, with the first measuring at 2.1). So far though, very not good.

I'm going to try cleaning it out again and starting to vape at 10W instead of the 7W - maybe vaporize more juice and maybe none left over to flood the chamber. That was my experience with the iClear-30, with the sweet spot being around 10W for the dual coils.

UPDATE-1: I just tried 10W (4.6v), and initially did get more vapor than a ProTank-II, but not as much as an iClear-30. But, same as before, started flooding, got less and less vapor with each draw, and at 10W, super hot comets! Guess my next step is to change the atomizer to the 2nd one that came in the box. I'll let you know how it goes...

UPDATE-2: I will add this though... The dual-coil atomizer for the ProTank 3 has no air tube shaft like you're used to on the previous models, making it very difficult to screw into the base - there's nothing to really grab it with. Maybe 1mm of shaft, and the rest is the rubber cover, which twists when you try to grab it to screw into the base. I might break out the pliers to get a better grip and tighten the one that's in there already. More updates to come...

UPDATE-3: Well, I used needle-nose pliers and tightened it as much as I felt I could without squeezing the pliers any more for fear of crushing the air tube. Back on the ProVari at 10.5W (4.7v), as I wanted to vaporize as much juice as possible. With everything I've done so far, I have not experienced any burning - except when the molten comets scorch my mouth. It took longer for the air tube to flood, but still ended up flooding. I tried it a couple times - once with very long draws, and once with very short draws. Both ended up with flooded air tubes.

UPDATE-4: I took Riding's advice below. Since my ProVari was complaining about a low battery, I switched to the iTaste 134. I set it to 12W (5v), then to 12.5W (5.1v) which is the highest setting on the 134. Still never a burned vape, gurgling took a lot longer presumably due to more vapor production, but started getting more and more hot comets as the air tube still ended up flooding. When the ProVari battery is done charging, I'll try bumping the voltage higher and higher 'till it burns, but I'm afraid the results will be the same - it'll eventually flood.

UPDATE-5: I started out with the ProVari set to 6v (17W), but got the E1 error. I backed off 'till I got to 5.6v (15W) and got an E2 error. Finally, it worked fine at 5.5v (14.4W). I couldn't get this thing to burn, which may be a good aspect of the tank, but alas, the air tube flooded.

The only option I see left is to change atomizers, which I'll save for another time - spent too much time with this tank, and need to vape something more reliable. At this time, I not only do not recommend a ProTank 3, I advise staying away from it 'till the bugs are worked out (if they ever are), or until someone finds the magic solution.

I'll reply after doing some more research on others experiences, and changing the atomizer.

UPDATE-6: I changed the atomizer to the other one in the box, and it did improve a lot, but not perfect and also flooded. I was able to vape it for a while before it started to gurgle, then flood. I let it sit for a few hours, removed the tank, cleaned up the juice on the battery contact, and continued vaping. I sure hope they fix this issue quickly, and before the first mass shipment as Riding said below.

Last edited:

Riding Nerdy

Nov 8, 2013
San Diego
I have been using the Protank 3 and talked quite a bit with the guys at Sun Vapers and it seems the new atomizer has really bad production quality. Some of them work amazingly, and some flood/gurgle/generally suck. I would recommend trying the second one that came with it if you're having problems... it may be night and day. I'm still on my first atomizer a week later and I get no gurgling, fantastic flavor, and huge clouds.

The trick to getting this tank to work properly is running it at 5.0+ volts. So it's really not meant for a mech mod. You get a warmer vape, but it's amazing and absolutely my new favorite tank. I will be writing a detailed review on my blog today, which I will post back here assuming it gets approved by the ECF staff.

I am told Kanger will very likely update the atomizers quickly, hopefully before they mass ship them for the first time.

Sd13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
NJ
I guess its luck of the draw with these heads because i've been using it for a whole week now and this is the first kanger coil that gave me zero issues with gurgling, leaks and dry hits. If they make every head exactly the same like the one that i am using now that is right out of the box, this will be the best clearomizer ever made. I hope someone at Kanger is reading this: PLEASE MAKE ALL THE PROTANK 3 HEADS CONSISTENT. Is that too much to ask for? I have a funny feeling that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread