Status
Not open for further replies.

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
Hi,

I just tried a friends Provari and thought it was terrific; amazingly well built and so tempting! However, buying one Provari is not an option, as my partner also vapes. So, if I did buy a Provari, I would have to come home with two and that is over $400 and a little steep for my budget.

Is there a really good alternative out there to the Provari? I would also be interested in something smaller - say the size of a Provari mini. Would like to keep the cost to $100 or so, per mod.

Any help and insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
I have heard good things about the Evolv dna-20 chip. There is no "official" DNA-20 mod as far as I understand. The chip is used in a few different mods. Maybe do some googling on that.

I don't know if you can find something DNA-20 as small as the Provari Mini, for a lower price than the Provari Mini, though, but I'm sure some quality time with Google will help you along.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
It depends on what you want. A big part of the vape experience in the Provari is due to the electronics. A stock PWM APV is producing a "fixed" voltage at at rate of 33 Hz, while the Provari is creating that same voltage up in the 500 Hz range. In that respect there aren't a lot of devices out that that can even come close to providing a similar vaping experience. On the 33 Hz mods it's called the "rattlesnake" effect and a lot of people can both hear it and taste the difference in the experience.

There is a list on here - somewhere - that was started for APV's that don't use the low budget 33 Hz PWM chips. Those would be your best bet if you want a close - but not identical - vape experience to a Provari. I think the MVP 2 is on that list. If I can locate that thread with the list I'll post the link to it.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
I believe I read here somewhere, but can't find it now of course, that the Innokin products filter the output or do some other sort of voodoo that greatly reduces the 33 hz rattlesnake effect. I own a Vamo V5 and Smok SID and don't notice the effect, more accurately I know what people are talking about but it doesn't matter to me, and I can say that the vape I get from the Innokin MVP V2.0 is different. Not saying better or worse in my opinion, but toppers behave differently compared to the others. These all can be found for about $40 with a bit of patience and would be a good start to vv/vw devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Big Southpaw

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2013
Richmond, VA
Personally, the Provari is a little bulky for me. That said, there is occasionally blemished ones new from Provape for $150. I am actually following this thread with interest as I am wondering the same thing. I normally use stick batteries. Recently bought a Vamo but have been unhappy with the battery performance.

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
It depends on what you want. A big part of the vape experience in the Provari is due to the electronics. A stock PWM APV is producing a "fixed" voltage at at rate of 33 Hz, while the Provari is creating that same voltage up in the 500 Hz range. In that respect there aren't a lot of devices out that that can even come close to providing a similar vaping experience. On the 33 Hz mods it's called the "rattlesnake" effect and a lot of people can both hear it and taste the difference in the experience.

There is a list on here - somewhere - that was started for APV's that don't use the low budget 33 Hz PWM chips. Those would be your best bet if you want a close - but not identical - vape experience to a Provari. I think the MVP 2 is on that list. If I can locate that thread with the list I'll post the link to it.

I've heard very good things about the MVP 2 and DNA-20 chip that Dampmaskin mentioned. Have a look on YouTube. I can certainly say I've experienced the rattlesnake effect before though. I kept thinking I had air in my atty or a faulty battery, but could only trace it back to the frequency. I'm sure you could get used it it though.

For a beginner I would certainly go variable rather than mechanical straight away. Although I love my Magneto, I've been spoiled by the comforts of VV!

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I personally believe (and being a ProVari owner) still believe that the MVP2 is essential Vape Gear for anyone.

I am a converted ProVari owner. Had to spend some quality time at a vape meet with one. But I do realize they are not in the budget for everyone.

However, I can not think of a situation where an MVP2 is not a must buy. Even people who "hate box mods" find the MVP 2 comfortable to use, and the built in 2600mAh battery lasts for days before needing recharging. This serves to make the unit last and last.

Yes, it is "disposable" but at 40 dollars to 60 dollars you are looking at less than 5 dollars a month or 17cents a day cost of ownership And that's based on the unit only lasting a year. There are MVP1's out there going strong after a year, so a 1 year life time is conservative.

Yes, you can get a Sigelei, Vamo, or similar tube mod with "replaceable" batteries, but a lot of these units have other issues such as substandard 510 connectors and poor control board and button mounting configurations that make them wear out before your batteries do. So what's the point of having a mod with replaceable batteries if you have to replace the mod before the battery?

The MVP2 works great and lasts long enough to be of great value, then you get another.

For more info, read my review here.

I absolutely love my two MVP2's and use them more than my ProVari.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../503162-innokin-mvp2-essential-vape-gear.html

Last edited:

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
Hi,

I really appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. I do own an MVP which I have been happy with. I do, however, appreciate the quality of the Provari and did notice a different vape with the Provari. I can't say "better" as a whole, but for ME, I did prefer it.

That said, $400 plus for two of them is steep. Still looking for options :)

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Hi,

I really appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. I do own an MVP which I have been happy with. I do, however, appreciate the quality of the Provari and did notice a different vape with the Provari. I can't say "better" as a whole, but for ME, I did prefer it.

That said, $400 plus for two of them is steep. Still looking for options :)

The problem is that you are entering the "dead zone" of vaping. There are plenty mods between 0 and $100. And then you hit a big blank area between 100 and 160. Then at 160 you start with ProVari's and move upward.

The iTaste 134 mini is a well built 18350/18500 variable wattage mod, but it's looks may be a turn off to some (very militaristic) The VTR is popular but it's bigger and heavier than an MVP.

There just isn't a lot in the range you are looking for. I personally believe the MVP is the best performing vape in it's price range. If you are looking to up your vape quality, then perhaps you should look at upgrading your Topper and then saving up for the ProVari.

To be honest, moving from a Protank Mini to a Kayfun clone was much more dramatic than moving from an MVP to a ProVari. Sure, my Kayfun on my ProVari is near perfection for me, but my Kayfun on my MVP2 is no slouch.

And building coils was nowhere as difficult for this 48 year old penguin as I expected it to be.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The iTaste VV3 and MVP2 use the higher frequency PWM similar to the Provari, so to avoid the "rattlesnake" 33.3 hz chips at a sub-$100 price range, those two will be your only options. The other Innokin regulated mods use 33.3 hz - 46 hz PWM, as do all the other China-made mods.

(Edit: The Evic uses a 120 hz PWM, but it's build quality leaves much to be desired.)

You'll not find another regulated mod with the build-quality and durability of a Provari. There's a reason why it costs as much as it does. Quality parts & materials, high quality control, and a company that supports the product for life comes at a price.

Why Provari?

A Mini-ZMax might be worth looking into. It will have the size and form factor of a Mini Provari and will be in your price range. I had one gifted to me that I really tried to enjoy, but having 3 Provari's and an MVP, was disappointed in its performance due to the 33.3 hz chip. I ended up giving it to my daughter who was using a couple of small mechanical mods, and to her its an upgrade.

ZMax Mini.JPG Segelei Mini Zmax and Mini Provari.jpg

Last edited:

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
The iTaste VV3 and MVP2 use the higher frequency PWM similar to the Provari, so to avoid the "rattlesnake" 33.3 hz chips at a sub-$100 price range, those two will be your only options. The other Innokin regulated mods use 33.3 hz - 46 hz PWM, as do all the other China-made mods.

(Edit: The Evic uses a 120 hz PWM, but it's build quality leaves much to be desired.)

You'll not find another regulated mod with the build-quality and durability of a Provari. There's a reason why it costs as much as it does. Quality parts & materials, high quality control, and a company that supports the product for life comes at a price.

Why Provari?

A Mini-ZMax might be worth looking into. It will have the size and form factor of a Mini Provari and will be in your price range. I had one gifted to me that I really tried to enjoy, but having 3 Provari's and an MVP, was disappointed in its performance due to the 33.3 hz chip. I ended up giving it to my daughter who was using a couple of small mechanical mods, and to her its an upgrade.

View attachment 313239 View attachment 313240

Besides the obvious; shape, build quality, etc., given the chip similarities, should there be a difference in vape quality with the MVP and the Provari? As mentioned in a previous post, I thought there was, but it could be my mind playing tricks on me - kind of like sitting in a beautifully appointed Mercedes and sitting in a fully functional, reliable and practical Honda.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Besides the obvious; shape, build quality, etc., given the chip similarities, should there be a difference in vape quality with the MVP and the Provari? As mentioned in a previous post, I thought there was, but it could be my mind playing tricks on me - kind of like sitting in a beautifully appointed Mercedes and sitting in a fully functional, reliable and practical Honda.

You pretty much nailed it.

From my personal experience, the "vape quality" is on par between an MVP and a Provari. I do seem to notice a difference in voltage regulation when the MVP's battery voltage drops at the end of battery life. On the other hand, the voltage regulation in the Provari's is superior, with the last puff as good as the first.

Although I don't mind the box mod shape of the MVP, I much prefer the feel of the Provari's in my hand. Ergonomically it fits my hand perfectly. They are the right weight, form factor, texture of the surface, & button placement for my preferences. The MVP fire button requires a little more pressure, more than I would like. The buttons for adjusting voltage can be accidentally pressed while holding it causing an unwanted change in voltage.

MVP_in_hand.jpg Mini Provari 2.jpg

Last edited:

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL

The ProVari is the most accurate device made. It has the best voltage regulation numbers of anything I have seen. It also keeps those numbers consistently through out the discharge cycle. Other mod's do experience some sort of voltage lag throughout the discharge. On something like the VV3, it's noticable because of it's 800mAh battery.

On the MVP2, its harder to pick out due to it's massive battery. However, I did notice when my MVP2 needed charging. I could taste that it wasn't quite hitting it's numbers.

On the ProVari I noticed it.....when it ran out. I mean this thing hits like it's fresh from the charger each and every pull.

And of course, the balance, quality build and other "appointments" on a ProVari will definitely play to your psyche. Like knowing this thing is a tank and will last a lifetime.

But there is a difference in vape quality. Some say it is significant, I say it's more subdued. The difference, however is most apparent as the battery discharges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread