Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Well, I have had the most un-fun weekend it may be possible to have. Sunday morning about 4am, I woke up feeling awful, sick at my stomach, feverish, ......... This persisted the entire day, during which I stayed in bed *the entire day*, not sleeping much, due to increasing abdominal pain. I did not vape at all, all day long -- and really didn't miss it, which I know would not have been the case when I was a smoker -- I'd have been out there on the porch no matter how awful I felt, or if the nausea was so bad that I didn't dare, I'd have been pining for a smoke with every breath.

Monday morning around 3am, the pain had increased so much that I could not stand, sit, lie down, without bellowing in pain, so, even without insurance, I had no choice at all but to go to the emergency room. They basically do the same hurry-up-and-wait as the military, but they did give me some morphine, since it was clear that I was in agony. And they finally did the CAT scan of my abdomen and determined that I was suffering from acute appendicitis. It was 8 hrs from the time I arrived there, till they actually took it out, during which I was parked in a private emergency room -- which is all this hospital has, a real advantage over the cloth walls that so many offer. So, during that 8 hrs, since the nausea had eased, I was able to take a few stealth vapes -- which would also not have been possible with cigarettes, of course! I kept the wattage set very low, so there wasn't much vapor at all, and of course my regular Virginia has little if any smell, so no one was ever the wiser.

It was also terrific fun to tell the hospital personnel that I had stopped smoking "109 days ago" (which was the count, on Monday) and enjoy their approbation. My husband later said "you didn't tell them how you did it," to which I replied a) they didn't ask, b) it's none of their business, and c) it doesn't matter HOW, just that I DID QUIT.

After the surgery (laparoscopic), I was able to breathe despite the general anesthesia -- which was always difficult when I was a smoker, since I have asthma, necessitating "breathing treatments" and probably admission to the hospital at least overnight. My lungs are so much clearer now, they let me go home once I was able to stay awake, speak sensibly, and walk a little. Admittedly, the after-pain this morning is pretty bad, and it's keeping me from coughing as deeply as I know I need to, even after 110 days smoke-free -- because of the asthma -- but I have some pain pills, and as I get acclimated to them (so they don't make me nauseous), I'll be able to do whatever coughing needs to be done, once I'm well-medicated on those pills (hydrocodone+tylenol).

So... it's been awful, agonizing, pure hell, really... but it would have been so much worse as a smoker. And now my appendix is blessedly gone, so any future pain in that area of my abdomen is definitely NOT appendicitis. :D

Just wanted to report on all this, for any former-smoker-now-vaper who finds themselves in a situation requiring surgery -- it's so much easier as a non-smoker. Even as a mostly chain-vaper, it's so much easier to just leave it alone than cigarettes ever were, none of that "cigarette bullying"... instead of "do it RIGHT NOW!" it's more like "I'm here waiting, as soon as you feel like vaping. No rush." What a blessing!!

An appendix-free
Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Yowzaa, Andria!

Heck of a way to get out of wishing your hubby happy fathers' day :facepalm:

Glad that you're ok, and don't start going around now saying that to quit smoking you need to have your appendix out! :laugh:

Heh.. it's funny, Monday morning 3am as I was agonizing in pain, and on over whether I really wanted to go to the hospital, given the lack of insurance, I had my first cigarette-craving in quite a while -- probably due to stress, would be my guess. So I vaped instead of course, and as usual, the vaping shoved the thought of a cigarette right out of my head.

Same, for the very few stealth-vapes I had while I was parked in the emergency room -- by that time I was on morphine, which *helped* but did not eliminate the pain. I was so stressed about the whole thing -- the pain, the anticipation of abdominal surgery, of whether or not they would let go home afterward or admit me, and of course the lack of insurance -- that now and then I just had to fish my vv3 out of my purse and have a few hits -- thank god I had one of my kayfuns on it, so that even at 6.5w, I was able to get a vape that satisfied, even if there was very little vapor. But over that entire 8 hr period, I only did that 2 or 3 times, as that's all I really seemed to "need" -- a very far cry from the cravings I would have had as a smoker. To me this absolutely PROVES that nicotine by itself is quite a bit less "addictive" than the whole chemical cocktail one gets from cigarettes. It also demonstrates very clearly that should I decide I need to stop vaping, it will be a great deal less difficult than quitting smoking by any means -- this is in fact a *dependence* not an addiction. :thumb:

Andria

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Glad you are OK, Andria. I had what was left of a ruptured appendix removed when I was 5 years old because the doctor misdiagnosed my condition when I went in for acute appendicitis.

Even if you quit smoking and switched to nicotine vaping it's a good idea to let doctors know that you use nicotine if things get serious. Just how serious things have to be before disclosing this is a judgement call.

I let the orthopedic surgeon know I was vaping nicotine before surgery for a broken leg last fall. I had a metal rod and screws installed in my right tibia. Nicotine will slow down healing of bone injuries. I vaped zero nicotine for a month after surgery.

zeronic.jpg

Last edited:

drksideken

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Syracuse, IN, USA
I had my gall bladder removed about three years ago. It was very infected. In fact it was so bad that the Dr. told me if it didn't come out when it did, I'd have most likely bought the farm. I only wish I had discovered vaping then. When I got home and had to cough it was horrible. (I have COPD so it was a lot of coughing.) Here is to you and your better health :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread