Cold Pen-Style Atomizers. Broken wiring? NOPE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

parapo

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Greece
i did several cleaning methods and not one had a noticeable difference.
i tried cola yesterday,and other than a placebo effect at first, thinking it was better than before,it did nothing more.

i don't say it does not work in general,it just didn't work for me.
maybe there is more to it, e-juice used ....frequency of vaping....etc.

i will try a few more...

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Sun - it is ridiculous to say 'Vinegar is out'. It worked for me. Coke also doesnt work for everyone. Coke and vinegar are basically the same thing - a weak acid.

I said to you try those same atomisers with coke. Did you ?

YOu also said that you couldn't even chip off the deposits with a screwdriver so it is clear these were a severe test case.

Try those atomisers in coke then come back to say that 'Coke is out'. If you won't do that test, people might think you just set out to discredit alternatives to a favored method.

kinabaloo--meant to say it did not work for me--maybe it is just these penstyles--I do not know but I am determined to find a way--thanks --Sun

Recycled

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
quoting myself...oy...
... brand new back-up and...one cart later...hardly any vapor. Fresh battery. Still nothing. Take off the cart, and under the bridge...Bright Red Glowing Red Volcanic Red--scary. Now it's dead. (...gotta be defective.)

But... Soaked the old atomizer in Coca Cola for about an hour and a half, washed it off. It fired up like it is new!quote]

Well...the thing bogged down a bit the next day, but a soak in vinegar fixed it completely and little black specks came floating out. (easier to see in vinegar, maybe there were some in the coke)

and that 'defective' atomizer works now. (?) It must have been going through some kind of birthing/break-in process.

So I guess the problem was like that computer term, PICNIC: Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

PIVNIC: Problem In Vaper, Not In Cig.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
***This was an experiment--read disclaimer at bottom of post people***

Terrapon first suggested the use of Colas for cleaning our atomizers and he hit the head right on the nail to get things started. Colas have since been reported as working for some and not for others. In a search to expound Terrapon’s hard work, many ideas and thoughts were thrown around. The perfect cleaning solution would be one that only required placing the atomizer in that safely dissolved the residue.

Last week Stone posted that while in the business of refrigeration, there was a cleaning solution that they run through Ice Makers to clean the lines and the coils and suggested that this be investigated. As it turns out, the solvent he was referring to, phosphoric acid, is the same thing that is in Colas only much stronger and contained no sugar. While colas have a 2.5% concentrate of Phosphoric acid, this compound which is FDA food grade approved has a 75% concentrate.
This is the solvent and its write up:

liquid_iceMach_cleaner.jpg

Liquid Ice Machine Cleaner

Liquid Ice Machine Cleaner is formulated for 75% phosphoric acid for removing scale deposits from ice machines and coffee urns. It is a food-grade liquid acid that is fast acting yet safe to use in this equipment. It does not give off any harsh fumes or contain chlorine or chlorides that would attack stainless steel. It is available in 8 fl. oz. bottle and 1 gallon bottles.

Taking Terrapon’s original ideal and using the following product I dismantled a RN4072 atomizer that went cold months ago. The coil had a very heavy residue build up. I placed the solvent in a glass jar and placed the atomizer in it. After 2 hours, I took it out and inspected it only to find that at least 60% of the residual was gone from the coil and there was no residual in the solvent that I could see. I then placed it back in for another 2 hours only to find that the coil itself was now visible and over 75% of the residual was gone. Again I placed it back in and left it to the 7 hour mark to find upon inspection that 90% of the residual was gone. I then left it in overnight for a total of 14 hours to find that almost all the residual was gone. I could now see why the atomizer failed in the first place. The residual built up underneath and around the coil to to point that the residual actually lifted the coil up and forced the coil to break loose from the contact point on the left side. I could not see this before the residual was dissolved by the solvent.

Today, I took 5 "whimpy" atomizers that were from months ago and placed them in the solvent for 10 hours. I then took them out, rinsed them throughly. I then re-primed them and all 5 atomizers worked like new. I further took one of the 5 apart to inspect and it the coil was clean and all contacts were solid. I can state that this solution does in fact take Terrapon’s original idea of the use of phosphoric acid in a much more concentrated formula not only works, but needs no heating. It was interesting to note that there is no deposits in the solution at all–hence the solution dissolved the residual.

I would note that this solvent does have, like other solvents many safety disclaimers when using it. I would further note that I was willing to try it as it is used in the industry to clean out ice makers and hence I conclude must rinse clean off otherwise it would taint the ice. This is the first very viable and hassle free solvent I have used that actually worked for me.
It clarifies that Terrapon’s original idea was in fact leading us on the right road. I wish to thank all members who have attempted to try different approaches to make these atomizers not "consumable’ parts. I also thank Stone for the idea of this product and Kinalooboo for all of his thoughts and advise with regards to this effort. Remember that this is not the intended purpose of this product by any means and I only am reporting what worked for me. There is an inherent risk to using any solvent--so use at your own risk. —Sun

DISCLAIMER: This was an experiment and I choose to use it as suggested by Stone: Remember, that these are chemicals and it is not the indented purpose of the product. So do not use if you do not want to take any risks. I am not advocating its use and only reporting my findings as Stone reccomended this product and I thought I would give it a go, I used it because I think that it rinses clean and leaves no residual and the logic being that if you are going to run it though an ice maker and then conume the ice after is is rinsed out, then it should not be leaving a residue. But that is me and my logic (a desperate soul looking for an way to save my may be soon banned atomizers from demise. we are not telling anyone else they should use it. It is dangerous and not advised and anyone that does not heed to warnings does so at their own risk. Again people, these are experiments!!.

See Nu-Calgon: Products: Ice Machine Filtration

Last edited:
Excellent news :) I had suggested the same thing, though different supplier, of a smoke-machine cleaning fluid. An obvious thing to consider really - wonder why we took so long to think of it ;)

Deserves a new thread I'd say. It's a real step forward. We now have this powerful and seemingly super-effective overnight clean, and H2O2 (or even cola, vinegar or lemon juice) on an activated atomiser as a quick clean.

And very interesting that just about all the deposits disappeared; technically not 'dissolved' but reacted with. This really suggests that the deposits are very largely inorganic minerals and organic / carbon. And as such, throws some positive light on worries that PG or VG might be breaking down in the atomiser.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing the testing Sun. Any before and after photos?

I suspect this may not be easy for all of us to get and probably comes only in large sizes. It would be nice if retailers, of juice say) would make smaller quanties available so we can order one (100ml, say) when we order our juices. For a reasonable price of course! And if this can be safely shipped.

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
OK to add to the madness, I am using the cola method because this is just too easy. I am going to finish it up with vinegar bath to get any remaining stuff out of it, like cola residue, etc. I am not very confident about heating up my atomizers to glowing and tossing them into water yet. BUT I am going to get some ice machine cleaner.

It's sold on Amazon.com :p

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Excellent news :) I had suggested the same thing, though different supplier, of a smoke-machine cleaning fluid. An obvious thing to consider really - wonder why we took so long to think of it ;)

Deserves a new thread I'd say. It's a real step forward. We now have this powerful and seemingly super-effective overnight clean, and H2O2 (or even cola, vinegar or lemon juice) on an activated atomiser as a quick clean.

And very interesting that just about all the deposits disappeared; technically not 'dissolved' but reacted with. This really suggests that the deposits are very largely inorganic minerals and organic / carbon. And as such, throws some positive light on worries that PG or VG might be breaking down in the atomiser.

As long as it doesn't turn into whatever really nasty stuff VG does at a higher temp, I am all good. PG seems to be all good.

Wow. This is kinda harsh for the people with PG allergies that have to go on VG, though.

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
BTW - one more idea I am going to try out - I bought a box of 20 mule team Borax. This is something available in the states. It contains boric acid, which I am not completely sure is more effective than the other weak acids we all have been using. However, it is realitively safe and is traditionally used as a laundry cleaner. You use it to boost the effectiveness of your laundry liquid. It's made of a mineral element and that's about it.

If I have much success, I will post another thread. Borax came to mind once we all started working on the weak acid theory - like using vinegar to clean a coffee maker.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
initial results :

Right well i had a collection of 6 wimpy 901 atomizers and 2 classic ones.

Im an all or nothing kinda guy, so all 8 have gone into a glass of coke cola classic.

Its been 1 hour and i removed one 901 atomizer to check progress. Rinsed it out under the tap and dried it out, attached to the screwdriver and heated it red hot and quenched in cold water , I heated and quenched 3 times.

Loaded it up with a little juicie , around 6 drops ( thirsty little sucker) then popped in a fresh cart, let it sit for a minute or 2 and gave it a go .

Works great now , I would say about 80 % new function , great stuff.

Gonna let the others sit in the coke for a couple more hours and try another one .
Update later ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread