Efest Metallic Purple 15A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...accurately rated 15A, looks like 30Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Efest. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This new Efest is accurately rated at 20A and 3000mAh. Its appearance is almost identical to the Samsung 30Q but it performs a bit better. This Efest still has the useless 35A "pulse" rating in large lettering on the wrap but does list both the continuous and pulse ratings, a welcome change for Efest. These new metallic wrap 18650's ship with a plastic battery case for each pair of batteries.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached about 2800mAh. This is average performance for a 3000mAh cell at 10A so I am rating this cell at 3000mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 67°C. This is below the average temperature of a cell running at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 81°C. This is a bit above, but close to, the temperature of a cell running at its CDR and is an indication that this is the cell's true rating.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 95°C. This is way above the average temperature of a cell running at its CDR and is an indication that we're above the cell's true rating.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Spirometry

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 13, 2014
    New Orleans
    Congratulations Mooch.
    I believe it is your constant testing and educating others that most likely put a dent in Efest sales. Forcing Efest to make some changes.

The name "Mooch" has turned into quite a phenomenon. You can't find a youtube reviewer that hasn't mentioned your name. This in turn has created a trickle down effect. Even companies selling batteries are spreading the word. I found this over on the Illunm site.
    *Manufacturer reported specifications
    NOTE: Efest has been known to overestimate battery ability. Refer to known battery testers like MOOCH for information about these specific batteries

With any luck, we hope Efest doesn't pull some of their other known business practices and do the ever so popular switcheroo.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Congratulations Mooch.

With any luck, we hope Efest doesn't pull some of their other known business practices and do the ever so popular switcheroo.

That's my concern too. I will be retesting the metallic 18650's later this year to find out.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Texas
    Why would you buy from anyone that has been caught lying about the abilities of their products?

There are more honest vendors out there and battery safety, especially with the vaping world under a microscope just now, is the highest priority.
    i don't trust to luck with these things. Nor should anyone.

T

Assi

Multiple ID Suspension
    Jun 2, 2016
    There will be only 3 reasonable Arguments for me to prefer a rewrap battery on OEM:

1. There are many fakes of genuine OEM batteries on the market and on some local market places in China you can buy "genuine" Samsung, LG and Sony shrinks.

2. Many Dealers sell old batteries. There are many left-overs of old batteries on the market, that just Change Hands. These are not fakes and not B, C, D, or Z -grade batteries...they are just old and very often were stored inappropriate.

3. Although my eVic Mini is great, and eventhough I was very careful...the battery got a crack from a sharp edge of the device. A good PVC Shrink (like in flashlight batteries with protection) would hold that, but not the very thin industrial "Skin"

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    So.. One of these will be here tomorrow (Efest IMR 18650 LiMn 3000mAh Battery - Flat Top - 20 Amp) and will go inside a PICO..

I'm expecting a battery capable of a continuous 20a, buuuut.. I guess I can't expect that?

I'll only be asking 9-10a from it (0.5 ohm coil @ around 42 watts).

As long as it's not the 10A version that was around a few months ago it should be a 20A battery, either the HG2 or 30Q.

Reactions: m1ke

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    As long as it's not the 10A version that was around a few months ago it should be a 20A battery, either the HG2 or 30Q.

Right, but is there anyway to confirm what version it is?

Or am I just gonna have to use it and see how warm it gets? I mean, if it's a 10a rated battery and I pull 9a from it, I'm guessing it'll run much hotter than a battery that's rated for 20a.

I don't think I'll be buying anymore Efest batteries after this one just because of the uncertainty. This is my first 18650 I've bought.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Right, but is there anyway to confirm what version it is?

Or am I just gonna have to use it and see how warm it gets? I mean, if it's a 10a rated battery and I pull 9a from it, I'm guessing it'll run much hotter than a battery that's rated for 20a.

I don't think I'll be buying anymore Efest batteries after this one just because of the uncertainty. This is my first 18650 I've bought.

Good idea.:)
    There is a way to identify the 10A version as its 3-prong top contact is smaller than the 20A version. Here's more info...

WARNING: Efest Purple 35A 3000mAh is now a 10A battery!

If your Efests have 4-prong top caps then they are the 20A versions....or, they were. You never know for sure with these rewrapped brands.

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    It came with a plastic case for two cells, the wrapper looks the same, and the top cap too, so it looks like I got one like you tested. I got this from myvaporstore.com FYI. They seem to be a proper company.

I guess eFest had to step up their practices since you started exposing the true continuous discharge rates of their previous cells.

Still, I'm not gonna buy anymore of their cells.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    So.. what's your opinion on this one? The authentication was confirmed, but what does that really mean with an efest..

I'll be adding pics in a minute.......

The authentication is useless and would only tell you it's a genuine 10A Efest.

That battery you show pictures of is the newer one with a completely different wrap. I am only aware of it existing as a 20A battery.

Reactions: m1ke

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    Mooch, does the number on the negative end of the battery mean anything specific? H11 is on mine. H9 is on the one you tested.

Nevermind. I just found the exact battery and you tested it! This Efest I have is a re-wrapped Samsung 25R Blue Wrap 20A 2500mAh.

Samsung%2025R%20Blue%20Wrap%20Bottom.jpeg

Samsung%2025R%20Blue%20Wrap%20Bottom.jpeg

Attachments

• unspecified.jpg
      unspecified.jpg
      173.5 KB · Views: 115
    Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I only own a couple of Efest purple 18650's. Both have performed well over 2 or 3 years, but I seldom use either as long as I have newer ones charged and ready. Both are highly overrated on the heat shrink label, but they perform about as well as any of my other batteries for approximate hours of 10W vaping time.

I ordered my first pair of Sony VTC6's this morning. I'm looking forward to a little more vape time compared to the HG LG2's and Samsung 25R's (which have both been good cells for a year and a half).

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mooch

WheresPup

Jun 8, 2017
    Hey Mooch

I was re-wrapping some of these Metallica EFest and noticed 1 has a "3" on the bottom negative and the other has "H4" in the same spot.

Not really good with markings but these came in the same holder together. Are these totally different rewraps or do not all type batteries (example 30Q) have the same markings?

Hoping event isn't pulling a fast one...but I wouldn't be surprised. As long as they're around the same performance idc but I figured I'd ask and mention it

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hey Mooch

I was re-wrapping some of these Metallica EFest and noticed 1 has a "3" on the bottom negative and the other has "H4" in the same spot.

Not really good with markings but these came in the same holder together. Are these totally different rewraps or do not all type batteries (example 30Q) have the same markings?

Hoping event isn't pulling a fast one...but I wouldn't be surprised. As long as they're around the same performance idc but I figured I'd ask and mention it

The can counterstamps can change for a single model of cell but they are also different between each of the Samsungs. I can't say anything more really.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread