Enook 40A 2600mAh 18650 Bench test Results...ridiculously overrated, poor performing 20A battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is a very poor performing cell with exaggerated current and capacity ratings. It has only 1/2 the capacity (684mAh) of the Samsung 25R5 (1350mAh) at 20A continuous down to 3.2V due to the large amount of voltage sag. When discharged continuously at its claimed 40A rating it almost instantly dropped to just above 3.0V and reached my 2.8V cutoff a few seconds later.

Its appearance doesn't match any Samsung/Sony/LG/Panasonic/Sanyo cell I have and appears to be of Chinese manufacture. It has the classic roughly done top crimp of many cells made in China. Both of the cells I tested had signs of improper storage (rust).

I am rating this Enook at 20A and 2400mAh but it sags badly. The 18650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulse-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached 2181mAh. This is truly terrible performance for a 2600mAh cell at 10A so I am rating it at 2400mAh.
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 77°C. This is just below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR) and is an indication that we are operating near its true rating.
    • At 40A continuous, the cell's rating, the voltage instantly collapsed to just over 3.0V and quicly down to 2.8V. This is quite clearly not a 40A cell.
    • I am setting a CDR of 20A for this cell but its performance is terrible above about 10A. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage, I would expect ok cycle life at 20A continuous.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...afety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7566/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...fety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7554//

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Looks like a no-go for any vaper! Thanks, Mooch for all your comprehensive battery tests. Thanks to you we are all buying the best batteries with the knowledge that our money is spent wisely. I view your testing as the Consumer Reports lab for 18650 batteries.

Based on your testing I ordered a couple of Sony VTC6's for my Pico. I charged them up and put one in last night about 2 hours before bedtime. I'm around 3 hours of vaping at 10W so far and the battery display is still showing almost full charge. I may get a whole day of vaping out of a VTC6!

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    I remember a thread where the OP was asking about these cells, I said they probably wouldnt be 40A or 2600mAh (It was just an educated guess on my part,lol), I was pleased he went for 25R's instead.
    Stay away from re-wrapped batteries and only get authentic Sony, Samsung or LG from reputable sources (stay away from eBay and Amazon) and you'll be fine.

That and of course stay up to date with Mooch's recommended battery list.

opticruby

ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2015
    UK
    Stay away from re-wrapped batteries and only get authentic Sony, Samsung or LG from reputable sources (stay away from eBay and Amazon) and you'll be fine.

That and of course stay up to date with Mooch's recommended battery list.

I always steer everybody away from rewraps of any kind, this is why he went for 25R's.

I wouldnt go anywhere near rewraps myself either.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    At the risk of highjacking your thread, Mooch ... I've got to brag a little.

Update on my new Sony VTC6's. I went from 4pm one day until about 5pm the next on one cell in my Pico at 10W. I popped it in the charger at 3.5v and put the next VTC6 in because I had to leave and go somewhere. These are noticeably better than the LG HG2's or Samsung 25R's I've been rotating in and out of the Pico. Of course new cells are always better than the old, well used ones they replaced.

Reactions: Mooch
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread