Department of transportation rule would prohibit use of e-cigarettes on airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashinbrn

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
south-east Texas
CRASHINBRN.NET
found this today

Source: tobacco Law blog— Troutman Sanders LLP
Date: 2011-10-11 Author: Troutman Sanders tobacco Law Team
tobacco@troutmansanders.com
Department of Transportation Rule Would Prohibit Use of E-Cigarettes on Airlines — Troutman Sanders Tobacco Team
ID: 327364

The U.S. Department of Transportation has issued a proposed rule to amend its existing airline smoking rule to explicitly ban the use of electronic cigarettes (“e-cigarettes”) on all aircraft in scheduled passenger interstate, intrastate and foreign air transportation. The smoking of cigarettes has been prohibited on airlines for a number of years, and the proposed rule would treat e-cigarettes the same as tobacco products.

The Department of Transportation indicated that it was taking this action because of the increased promotion of electronic cigarettes and the potential health and passenger comfort concerns that they pose in an aircraft. The proposed rule noted that “[e-cigarettes] are marketed as being permissible in places where cigarette use is prohibited.” The Department of Transportation went so far as to comment: “We see no reason to treat electronic cigarettes any differently than traditional cigarettes.”

The comment period on the proposed rule ends on November 14, 2011.

Last edited:

TUS172

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2011
Tucson
Yeah it sounds like a typical lazy bureaucratic interpretation... Call it a cigarette and it is not allowed. No research, lots of misunderstanding and final judgment without consulting anyone who knows anything about it. Based on the assumption that it would offend those others on the aircraft who know nothing about what an E-cigarette is. It looks like smoke therefore it is evil, nasty and will harm everyone in the compartment.

AngelsRUs

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
Montana
Why is it that they focus so much on cigarettes and/or vaping? I find it slightly ludicrous that alcohol creates quite a stench in the air and that is allowed and there are plenty of people who get belligerent while drinking...I'm not against people drinking either just wondering why one is allowed and the other demonized.

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
Does anyone involved in rule making have one iota of common sense or rational thought?
Seriously it sure doesn't seem that way and this is happening from the government on down to website owners.
I honestly cannot understand why being rational or sensible is so hard to implement whatever someone is involved in.
C.B.

KimberlyM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2011
The Land of Confusion
This is really one part of the proposed "ban" that I am not sure I have a big problem with. Face it - you havent been able to smoke on an airline in years. We managed to do just fine on flights before e-cigs. Also, there is generally some smell associated with e-cigs. In an enclosed space with recirculated air it might bother others. I always was a considerate smoker and try to be a considerate e-cig user. Although I HATE to fly - and think my e-cig could improve the experience - I will just wait till I land.

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
I literally am on 8 different flights every month commuting from my home in the FL Keys to my office in LA. I vape on every flight. BUT, to avoid problems, I don't billow vapor. I hold it then blow it down my shirt or into the blanket. 9 months of doing this on AA (already banned on AA). Only once did I have a FA say anything. The rules may suck and we should fight them. But if you're cool about it you can get away with it.

sheik124

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2008
Tampa, FL
I posted this in another airline thread, but is it that tough to go to the lav and vape? The sink drain does a nice job of drawing all the vapor out of the bathroom.

If it's a US flight, it's 3 hrs long max, one or two trips to vape, if it's transatlantic, well, you could use the walking anyways, DVT/leg clots aren't fun.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Last flight I took, I was discreet, but the key lime freeze I was vaping must have had a little scent when the flight attendants walked by me. When I went to use the lav at the back of the plane the flight attendants asked me if I was vaping and about e-cigs and how they worked. I happened to have 5 or 10 starter kits in my carry-on. I gave out starter kits to the flight attendants who were all happily sneaking puffs in the back of the plane near where they prep the food stuff. Some took kits home to give to thier spouses. I got a lot of free drinks on that flight :)

I can see the logic in what DOT wants to do and how a billowing cloud of vapor and the scent could be alarming or offensive to some passengers but even if passed it won't stop me from discreetly vaping or using the lav for a few puffs. There are worse smells on an airplane.

hoog

Last edited:

pumasforpets

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
NWI
Last flight I took, I was discreet, but the key lime freeze I was vaping must have had a little scent when the flight attendants walked by me. When I went to use the lav at the back of the plane the flight attendants asked me if I was vaping and about e-cigs and how they worked. I happened to have 5 or 10 starter kits in my carry-on. I gave out starter kits to the flight attendants who were all happily sneaking puffs in the back of the plane near where they prep the food stuff. Some took kits home to give to thier spouses. I got a lot of free drinks on that flight :)

I can see the logic in what DOT wants to do and how a billowing cloud of vapor and the scent could be alarming or offensive to some passengers but even if passed it won't stop me from discreetly vaping or using the lav for a few puffs. There are worse smells on an airplane.

hoog

And if you're going to the lav to vape...there are certainly worse smells :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread