Status
Not open for further replies.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I emailed Jay and suggested he consider having some tubes cut to fit the 18650 IMR with The Kick - even if only a few to see if people want them. It cannot have the resistor - needs to be an unregulated device. I do not know if he is considering having some cut that way or not. I'd probably get one. :vapor:

Jay, if you want to cut one to test it, I have a kick (about a hair over 17mm) and I'd be happy to test it for you. PM me if you want more exact specs.

Last edited:

brodie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2011
MI
I live down the street from Great Lakes Vapor, have (2) GLV2 and 1 GLV XL Mini 18650 and have enjoyed chatting with Jay and Sara (who happen to be great people!!). I don't speak for them but I'll give you my observations.

The heads on the GLV2 and GLV XL Mini 18650 are physically different diameters based on the tubes they fit (dictated by battery diameter). In addition, GLV2 head is regulated, the GLV XL Mini 18650 is not.

I'm planning to try the kick on the GLV XL Mini with a 18490 but I don't see how it will work on a GLV2.

NebulaBrot- are you thinking of "extended" tubes cut to length for a 18650 + kick to mate up with the GLV XL Mini head? That might be pretty cool:)

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I live down the street from Great Lakes Vapor, have (2) GLV2 and 1 GLV XL Mini 18650 and have enjoyed chatting with Jay and Sara (who happen to be great people!!). I don't speak for them but I'll give you my observations.

The heads on the GLV2 and GLV XL Mini 18650 are physically different diameters based on the tubes they fit (dictated by battery diameter). In addition, GLV2 head is regulated, the GLV XL Mini 18650 is not.

I'm planning to try the kick on the GLV XL Mini with a 18490 but I don't see how it will work on a GLV2.

NebulaBrot- are you thinking of "extended" tubes cut to length for a 18650 + kick to mate up with the GLV XL Mini head? That might be pretty cool:)
Yep. I am not sure about the internal diameter of Jay's 18 series tube but the closer the diameter fit to the battery the better for the kick (over 19mm gets sloppy and can be too roomy). I did not make your GLV2 clarification (even tho I thought "2" was for the resisted cap w/16 series tube) because I was unsure if he might have been using that designation on other versions. But the tube would have to fit the 18 series IMR batts, the cap would have to be unregulated/unresisted and having the length cut to fit the 18650 +Kick would provide for the extra mah of the IMR 18650 over the IMR 18490/500.

brodie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2011
MI
I just did a quick measurement on GLV XL (18 series) tube. Down and dirty measurements with an inexpensive digital micrometer was 18.28mm ID.

Edit: You mentioned you have a kick. I won't ask how but what are your thoughts on it? I was a bit disappointed the other day when someone suggested a 10 watt max. that means the upper limit would put me right about where I'm at now with the standard GLV2 5V. Don't get me wrong...that is a great spot to vape at but I was hopping to try a bit more.

Last edited:

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I am testing it for Evolv and have had all the various versions of the prototypes. The Kick does an amazing job of duplicating the Darwin vaping experience. It is essentially the same Power Regulation design and delivers the same consistency of vaping hits. It detects the resistance and automatically adjusts the volts and amps to deliver the user set watts level. Without the screen, settings are not as precision exact (Darwin sets in 0.1 watts increments) but it is amazingly accurate. Using an under-load meter (with atty/carto attached) allows users to see the under-load voltage automatically change as they swap out various resistance attys/cartos. Kick also has all the operational features of Darwin with low batt cut-off and short circuit detection/activation prevention. That short circuit protection is sensitive and may prevent activation on an atty/carto that may still fire on an unregulated device but that sensitivity is needed to protect the circuitry on the kick (same as Darwin).

The watts range is 5-10. However, many Darwin users find they adjust their vaping watts down a bit due to the accuracy and consistency of the Power Regulation. On Darwin, that adjustment is super easy (just a turn of the wheel). It is equally as easy on the Kick but requires opening the device to access the adjustment. On top-loading devices, this is as simple as removing the top-cap and then making the adjustment (can just leave the kick sitting right where it is in the device) and replacing the to-cap. Some will complain about "using a screwdriver..." but the Variable Voltage users are frequently having to make adjustments. As atty/cartos age, the resistance drops and Kicks/Darwins automatically detect the change and adjust accordingly. With Kick, once you find your sweet-spot, it is pretty much set it and forget it. Some, like you, who prefer a warmer vape, may just leave it a the max setting and enjoy the boosted consistency of Power Regulation using a single IMR cell (no risk of stacking). IMRs are safer chemistry and IMRs have more than enough amps to handle the Amps demands of boost and LR combined. Due to its built in safety features, Kick offers additional protection as well.

Devices vary in conductivity. Some are lossier than others. The production version of the Kick is even more efficient than the prototypes were and may well help compensate for the more lossier devices.

Brandon has stated that the 10 watt max is there due to a variety of manufacturing decisions. They could make it higher but the smaller components of the Kick, and the dynamics of prism (cylindrical) style batts, left them feeling it was best all around to cap it at 10.

Last edited:

brodie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2011
MI
Awesome write up. Thanks!!!
I completely understand the rationale in designing the 10 watt max. In a perfect world, I would like to experience the higher range but I think 10w will give sufficient range for the majority of users while still offering a factor of safety on the max battery draw.

I keep watching the threads... anxiously waiting for the release of the Kick. I'm looking forward to picking one up and think the GLV XL Mini will be a perfect companion.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
i rekon it could be possible to fit one to a GLV-2 normal. The headcap will easily fit the kick in width. With the right machine work you could create some sort of extension to house a kick and connect to your normal GLV bottom.id love to get one working with a supermini.
Not sure I understand what you are saying. Must be a single 18 series IMR batt and must be unregulated. Only goes to positive side of the battery.

Someone did modify an 18 size Helix tube and used it in a helix with 26 series batt but that would be at your own risk. It is designed to be used as I described in above posts.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
"I emailed Jay and suggested he consider having some tubes cut to fit the 18650 IMR with The Kick - even if only a few to see if people want them. It cannot have the resistor - needs to be an unregulated device. I do not know if he is considering having some cut that way or not. I'd probably get it."

Great suggestion! I'd pre-order that!

arth_d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2011
Australia
Im saying the width of the headcap hole is wide enough to fit an 18mm battery in it, but it wont let the threads close but the kick will actually fit in the hole. If some smaller not so wide threads or thinner metal was used or some other mechanism was used to close it. It COULD be possible. But anything is possible.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Must be a single 18 series IMR batt and must be unregulated. Only goes to positive side of the battery.

Someone did modify an 18 size Helix tube and used it in a helix with 26 series batt but that would be at your own risk. It is designed to be used as I described in above posts.

brodie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2011
MI
As luck had it, I was able to order a Kick today from the first batch at Nhaler and followed it up with an order from Super T for some AW 18500 and another TR003 charger. Looking forward to using it with the GLV XL Mini! I've thought about a Provari for a bit but I just love the way the GLV's feel in my hand. This should be the perfect solution. Now where is that mailman........

brodie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2011
MI
Well it figures, kick came in the mail today.....but the batteries are a day behind.

I was unsure about the purple IMR from Nhaler so I opted for AW IMR from Super T. Hopefully they will be in tomorrow. Dry fit of the Kick in the GLV XL Mini is perfect with respect to diameter. Hopefully I can try it out tomorrow!

brodie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2011
MI
Alright. It's confirmed. The Kick works great with the GLV Mini XL.

Not that there were any doubts but I figured I would follow up here. Everything fits well. No slop or rattles when you shake it and it works as expected. I confirmed with an in line 510 connection volt meter that the kick is working as planned. Looking forward to this :)

I'll post again later today just to confirm that the voltage (wattage) held steady over the battery discharge.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I very much like the GLV form factor. I knew the kick would function well in the GLV unregulated device. I just want to be able to use a larger 18650 in it before I plunk down the coin for another tube device. I hope Jay decides to cut tubes to fit the kick with the IMR 18650. I would love to bring GLV back into my collection but I only use Power Regulated technology now (most consistent vaping I have found and I have tried most). I already have three other tube devices I can use the Kick in but those only accommodate the kick and 18490/500. I WILL have one that will fit the kick with 18650 (several device manufacturers are designing longer tubes and/or extensions). I would prefer the GLV - just need the longer tube. Jay - how about it?? 17 more MMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread