Sore throat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone

I bought my first ever e-cig this week and I have found it to be excellent. Haven't had a cigarette since Tuesday morning. But I have a hellish sore throat that started yesterday which is worse during the night. Also have a hacking cough which I didn't have when I smoked! I don't even fancy a real ..., but can't continue with the e-cig if it gives me a sore throat and cough! Any helpful advice?

(Sorry if this has been brought up umpteen times before, I did a trawl through to see if it had but couldn't find anything.)

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
This is pretty normal for most people "making the switch" you kicked a bad habit that had around 4,000 chemicals in it. Gonna take some time to get rid of all that junk in your lungs;)

Other then that your not used to vapor. I dunno what mg nic you are using but that could have a little something to do with it too. Are you drawing the vapor into your mouth then inhaling it or just straight inhaling into your lungs? try a mouth draw then inhale. Way less harsh. These are all "short term issues" when starting and prolly one of the biggest Q's asked by new vapors. Good luck and welcome to the forums:)

EDIT* Drink plenty of water too. That will help the sore throat a bit. Trust me it goes away in time. Congrats on kickin the habit

Last edited:

Bb177

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Wilmington, DE
Congrats on quitting!! Your sore throat can be caused by two things. The fist thing is you need to be sure you are drinking a lot of water, the ingredient pg in the liquid will dry you out a lot. Not only will the water help your sore throat it has cured the headaches I was getting when I began vaping. The second cause is the same as your cough, you coughing could also be why your throat is sore. The coughing you are experiencing is your lungs being cleaned out from the years of chemical abuse your analogs caused. Even tho you are inhaling and exhaling what looks to be a similar product, it's vastly different and your lungs are not used to it, liked they are to the smoke. In my case the coughing lasted about a week and a half, most say it lasts about 2 weeks, but may take a bit longer. Trust me when I say this will pass, just like your coughing passed when you started smoking analogs for the first time.The coughing will be a small price to "pay" when you can finally take deep breaths of fresh air again!! If after a few weeks the problems don't stop, I would revisit the issue, and look into another reason, which could be you are allergic to the pg in your ejuice (a few people are). Again I would like to say congratulations on quitting, and if you have any more questions please ask. Oh and Welcome to the ECF!!

Damnit coil y u so fast?

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
What type of liquid are you vaping? You may well benefit from trying a liquid that has a larger percentage of VG in it, or even as close to 100% VG as possible.

Some people are sensitive to PG. I am one of those, and it give me those symptoms if I have more than 20% or so PG in my liquid. VG generally irritates everyone less than PG.

Everyone will say drink plenty of water, for good reason, too. Vaping is dehydrating. Maybe some throat soothing drinks would help in the short-term.

dekalbave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA, United States
I have to agree with everyone about PG being harsher and more drying for most people than VG. Also the nicotine level affects me, the higher the amount of nic the more likely I am to have a sore throat and a cough. But maybe that's just me.
And take everyone's advice to drink lots of fluids, too.

But also, welcome to the forum and congratulations on finding a place where we can collectively try to help you keep on vaping instead of smoking. It really does pay off!

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
A sore throat isn't uncommon. Don't know about the cough though. Does it let up through the daytime? You might have something that is referred too as smoker's flu but you have the lighter symptoms. Some people get sick when they quit smoking. It's your bodies way of a withdrawal. Drink tons of water and you might want to purchase eliquid in a higher VG ratio and lower mg nicotine content.

You can also read through this thread....http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/...after you get 5 non-spammed post (basically chat a bit with us) you can post in there.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
Hi Everyone

I bought my first ever e-cig this week and I have found it to be excellent. Haven't had a cigarette since Tuesday morning. But I have a hellish sore throat that started yesterday which is worse during the night. Also have a hacking cough which I didn't have when I smoked! I don't even fancy a real ..., but can't continue with the e-cig if it gives me a sore throat and cough! Any helpful advice?
..................................................................................

Advice....Buy a real Mod and use 100% VG e-liquid........

dlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Ohio
Hi!! I'll echo what others have written... pg and vg can really dry you out. You should drink tons of water. It'll help hydrate you and help you eliminate some of the toxins from the tobacco cigs. Most smokers have a cough for weeks, if not months after they quit. Your lungs need to clear themselves of the tar. I am almost 4 weeks in and my cough has decreased tremendously, but every other day or so, I cough up something in the morning. I am also using Biotene to help with dry mouth and throat. Good lluck!!

knitngurl

Feb 24, 2012
The Rocket City
I addition to the excellent advice above I'd also like to suggest going to a lower level of nicotine. I have dropped from 18mg to 8 mg in my carts (which I vape in breaks at work) and at home I vape 0mg continuously. This has helped immensely with the throat irritation for me. It is also cold/flu/allergy season around here, so if your symptoms persist or if you have fever, please see your doctor. Your immune system is still flushing out all the crap from years of smoking, so it will be awhile before your body is at 100%.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It can take a lot of trial and error to find exactly what is right for you. I took to this like a duck to water but it was a whole different story for my husband. Sore throat and shortness of breath were at the top of the list of his problems. We went the gallons of water, more VG and all the other suggestions route. We finally decided that his biggest problem was the filler material in both carts and cartos. He switched to dripping on an atomizer. Worked pretty good but was too hot. We found his sweet spot at smokymizers with 50pg/50vg 24mg unflavored nic juice.
Hang in there and keep on until you find what works best for you. Good Luck.

ProveIt

Feb 21, 2012
United States
From what I can gather, the dry throat is to be expected - consider that what you see when you exhale is cigarette smoke, it is water vapor... almost entirely from your own body (mouth, throat, lungs).

Some withdrawal is expected, but it shouldn't be as nasty as nicotine withdrawal symptoms - all the nasty chemicals in analog cigarettes have their own effect. My nicotine withdrawal symptoms were excruciatingly painful, but I had none after the 1st day of switching to electronic cigarettes.

Coughing is normal when you quit analogs, but if the coughing isn't caused by the electronic cigarette (happens at other times), I wouldn't be concerned.

VapingTums

Verified Member
Apr 21, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
This happened to me and also all my friends I got into vaping. One was allergic to PG and found VG to fix it. For me it was a matter of nicotine level being too high and also just needing to get used to it. Vaping tends to be harsh when the nic gets too high. I have never found analogues to be harsh in that same way, even marlboro reds etc. I feel some people are bit misguided when they keep talking about throat hit and getting a bigger one. It never tends to be realistic like smoking, just harsh.

Ladypixel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
La Verne, CA
Before you start suspecting the PG/VG problems, take a look at this thread. A sore throat and coughing are both VERY common symptoms of quitting cigarettes:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

That will also list symptoms which vaping causes, by the by, and I found it to be extremely helpful when I first started out.

Also, something which is a common cause for coughing/sore throat is if your ecigs do not have enough juice in them, or (in more rudimentary terms) not enough e-liquid in your cartridge/cartomizer. This can cause the wicking material to get a burned taste, and you are then inhaling burning cartridge/cartomizer filling... and trust me, that isn't going to be much better than an analog cigarette. ;) So make sure you have enough juice in your unit to vape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread