obligatory newb post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
hi all, trying to quit analogs & have a prosmoke ecig and nicotrol inhalers. I've had luck with the inhalers in the past but always eventually went back to analogs. just got the prosmoke after being encouraged to try it by my doc & doing a bit of research (or at least attempting to - I'm so overwhelmed!) and I find it to be satisfying my needs. I'm using the inhalers too because I have a young child and don't want him to see me "smoking". So I'm still only going outside to use the vape.

Anyway since I'm clearly new to this and I'm not much of a "gear-oriented" person, I decided to join here to hopefully get some advice for my next ecig purchase. I like the prosmoke but I'm interested in what else is available. But like I said, I'm not too into "gear" and the ecig options and technology is way too overwhelming for me.

tl;dr Hi, need some simple recommendations.

mechanus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2012
Costa Rica
www.mechanus.org
Welcome to ECF! There's plenty of gear out there that can help you out and since you mentioned that you didn't want to vape in front of your kid, you might be interested in the, uh, more exotic forms of APVs (those that don't look like a cigarette).

You might be interested in something like the GLV (http://www.greatlakevapor.com), which may give that feel in between an inhaler and a cigarette - but definitely doesn't look like a cigarette. They're very well made, requires really no fiddling from your end (just choosing between a cartomizer that you would refill when it runs out or an atomizer/cartridge for dripping/refilling). You'd want to get cartomizers (or atomizers) with a 510 connection for this device.

Box-style APVs, which look nothing like a cigarette, are out there. The Reo mods are a good example of these, but require a bit of experience before jumping full-time into them.

If neither of these work for you, you could always go for something like an eGo, which is model/style of batteries. You have a plethora of vendors you can choose for these, from SmokelessImage, MadVapes, Hoosiers, etc. The differences between the vendor models are small - sometimes just the threading on the connector. These are more the size of a small cigar, or a fat pen. May not be what you're looking for, but they're a good alternative to cigarette-look-a-likes.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
If you don't mind the size of a sharpie marker, the KGO at Welcome to hoosier ecig supply - The Best E-cigs, Juices, and accesories is a good PV. Nice battery life, hard hitting, and will last you all day. I'm not an atomizer fan but I really like the Boge 2ohm cartomizers for everyday use. You might consider a box of them and a drip tip...makes for easier filling.

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
Thanks for the welcome and the recommendations. Woke up this morning, went outside with the dogs like I usually do, but vaped instead of smoking an analog and I feel fine - satisfied. I think this is going to work for me :)

So all I have is this starter kit from prosmoke, with a 5 pack of variety flavor carts. I'm going to have to order stuff soon, and not sure I'm going to stick with this company. I did a couple of hours of internet research before going with prosmoke, and they sold me on "made in the USA" and the VG instead of PG. But now that I've read about the difference here, I'm not sure VG is really better. I'm about to go check out the suggestions I got in this thread.

I think I definitely like the cigarette shape, not sure if I'd want anything thicker. My son is 1 year old and is excited by anything that I have and he doesn't, so I'm going to avoid vaping in front of him just like I would never smoke in front of him. I know he'd demand to play with it if he saw the pretty blue light on the end :p

Thanks again - I'm off to continue my research for my next purchase.

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
Welcome to the forum.do you what something that look like a cig or look does not matter?

I want something that I can hold between my fingers like a cigarette (and not like a blunt). It'd be nice if it was available in pink or purple, but black is okay too. I'm definitely turned off by tobacco flavors and the fruity flavors sound interesting to me. I want something that is minimal hassle. I don't mind filling up a cartridge if it's going to last a while, and I'm fine with buying prefilled cartridges too. I don't want anything that I will have to "mess with" while I'm out and about. I want to be able to pop a cart on and vape, doing any maintenance activities (like filling stuff up and charging) at home.

So far with the prosmoke that I have, I've tried the menthol (okay), vanilla (like it a lot), and coffee (okay). I'm afraid to try the tobacco because it smells gross and I only like menthol analogs lately. There's a cherry cart in there that I haven't tried yet.

ETA: I'd definitely be willing to try something that doesn't look like a cigarette. I don't want something that is short with the cigar tip mouthpiece because that's what the inhalers are like and those never leave my mouth and I end up chewing on them, then they get nasty, and I end up getting too much nicotine and I can feel my blood pressure going up. I like this cigarette shape that I have because I can use my old favorite ashtray (totally cleaned out of course), put it on my desk, and basically have a constantly burning cigarette that I will take a couple of hits from every so often. I really like being able to use my ashtray again (haven't smoked in the house for years!) :)

Last edited:

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
So I used the ecig all day with a long drive. I managed to smoke the entire coffee cartridge in about 2 hours of driving. (at least I think it was empty - but it could have been the battery). After a while it started to taste pretty bad, like stinky cheap pipe tobacco. I still feel like I smell odd from it and if I cough I can taste it. It's also giving me a bit of heartburn. So I'm not really enjoying that and I'm back to the prescription nicotine inhaler.

Not sure what I should do at this point, consider another setup, try a different e-liquid and refill these carts or a new setup altogether, or decide ecigs just aren't for me. I'm not opposed to someone telling me what to buy.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Clovery, it sounds like you had some dry hits and burning lol!!! Don't worry, there is hardly a newbie (or and old hand) who hasn't experienced that. The trick is to keep your carto wet!
No, don't give up. It is not impossible to get a reasonably awesome setup. You need good juice, a battery and some kind of cartomizer. That's it really. If you really need a small mini ecig, then maybe a few 808 batteries and some empty 808 cartomizers to refill yourself, will do the trick for now.
If you don't mind slightly thicker (like a sharpie marker) then an eGo battery with a Stardust (latest clearomizer) should do the trick.
I am actually using the latter. No fuss, no dry hits, no leaks and no mess.

-Optics-

Fear the Beard...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
Louisville, Ky
Welcome to the ECF! If you're using the cigarette style from prosmoke and looking for upgrades from there. I'd look into the Volt X2 with a clearomizer from Smokeless Image | It's like a cartomizer that you're using with the prosmoke but with a small refillable tank (1.6ml) with the carto built in. Larger battery, longer life etc. If that's not your idea of fun then I'd suggest trying a tube style mod. Got my Apollo Vtube and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread