Best straight to USB, no battery product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish to connect a kanger evod clearomiser as directly as possible to a USB port - I have seen an option on a certain website I really liked, very compact, just a long cord leading to a short base with a button 510 threaded (don't remember if ego threaded or not)... but I don't remember which site it was or the name of the product. Although there are likely threads on here and other places on this subject I cannot for the life of me find them.

I just want something bare bones and simple so I can connect it to a computer USB port or a car cig lighter -> USB adapter and vape with no battery. The majority of my vaping is near a computer or in my car so I could get one of these for the car, one for the computer then just use little 650mAh ego batteries for on the go.

Product names or websites or links or anything really would be a great help.
Thanks in advance.

HyperRealist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2012
Erie, PA
I just ordered one of these. Might be what you are looking for. I haven't got it yet but I don't think it is a battery. It looks too small and looks like the cord is permantly attached.
Variable Volt 510/eGo Passthru - High Desert Vapes

IMG_4148__60179_zoom.JPG

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
You can't do that, not without a battery involved anyway. The current output of a computer USB port is only 500 mA. Max. Vaping draws a lot more current than that, even if it is in very short bursts when you push a button. You would be frying out computer USB ports right and left if you tried to vape directly off a computer port without a battery acting as a "current buffer" so to speak.. Is it worth it in order to avoid a battery?

I have only seen one place selling a passthrough with no battery. (And it's a misnomer at that point to call it a passthough when there is no battery in it.) That particular device relies on using a high current - 2 amp or more - power supply in order for it to actually work. You would also need an equally high current 12 volt to 5 volt DC adapter to use it in a car as well. I don't recall who is selling it, but they didn't even sell the power supply you need to go with it.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Several places have them. google "mini VV", images, and you can narrow down from there. That's what I did.
Anywhere from $10-$20, so shop around. I got mine from High Desert Vapes too. I have one in my car on a 1 amp lighter plug(because I can't find my 2 amp) and it works great.
I think Madvapes has 2amp plugs. I saw one on DX that was 3amp.
I don't plug ecig stuff into my computer, I use a 2 amp wall wart.
The only thing I wish it had was a coiled cord, but hey.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I have found car cig lighter -> usb adapters that will output max 1A and 5v... will 1A do? These are the adapters commonly sold on ecig sites I see around and are brightly coloured. The passthrough I wish to use is the one linked by SupplyDaddy and HyperRealist, only sold by an alternative site in New Zealand to reduce shipping times.

My objection to a simple USB passthrough battery is that I hear you will kill the battery quickly if you vape on it while it's full/nearly full and plugged in. I also like having as short a battery as I can - a USB passthrough 650mAh seems around the size of a 800 or 900mAh non-usb.

EDIT; just saw that it has been successfully used with 1A output. Sweeeeeeet.

Last edited:

73ckn797

Resting In Peace
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Care Freeville
Last edited:

73ckn797

Resting In Peace
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Care Freeville
You need to be careful with some USB connections to a computer. What will the amp draw be? I have a stand alone USB 4 port hub that is powered independantly and not even connected to a computer. I am a realist also.
Unless it comes with instructions that say not to, I'm just plugging mine into my PC....

Last edited:

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I am considering on of these also. Let us know how it works.
It works good. I don't leave batteries in my car so I was going to make a passthrough to just leave in it. Then I saw this and it was perfect and cheap. Works great. Is smaller than I expected, but once you put something on it, it's perfect. No battery to worry about, just straight from a lighter plug. The cord is actually too long, but maybe not for some...

73ckn797

Resting In Peace
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Care Freeville
Your comments are just what I was thinking about.

I drive all day and don't need to be swapping out a battery while driving. I only have to keep all of the wires untangled, what with keeping my laptop and camera batteries charged up between stops.

I will probably die in my car. I drive about 1k miles around the Atlanta/N. Georgia area a week. Pity me should it be because I am swapping batteries between the eGo and a charger while negotiating I-285.

I have a pass-through but it is a cig-a-look size type using an adapter to fit the 510 threaded accessories.

It works good. I don't leave batteries in my car so I was going to make a passthrough to just leave in it. Then I saw this and it was perfect and cheap. Works great. Is smaller than I expected, but once you put something on it, it's perfect. No battery to worry about, just straight from a lighter plug. The cord is actually too long, but maybe not for some...

Last edited:

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
They make 2-3amp 12v - USB adapters (have a dual port one myself). Make sure its got a fuse in it...some of the cheaper ones don't bother and IMO that is a cheap enough safety feature to always warrant having one.

Unless it comes with instructions that say not to, I'm just plugging mine into my PC....

I really wouldn't recommend it, but its your hardware.

Even at 1amp, which is the most USB 3.0 can push, it probably won't supply a great vapor.

A reasonably cold vape at 3.7v & 2.8Ω is still too much at 1.3Amp.

Last edited:

Herennow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2012
Washington
I've had this for a while, used only in the truck with Usb/12v adapter.
Has worked amazingly well! Just figured it has capacitors & Circuitry that let it work.
Variable Volt Passthrough $15 Shipped Free
http://www.vaporbeast.com/product_p/sk49.htm
Energizer Universal USB Charger $7 S/F with Prime
Output: DC5V 1 Amp
Amazon.com: Energizer Single Universal Usb Car Charger, Pc-1ca: Health & Personal Care

Just plug into the USB slot of your PC or or car adapter. Screw on your carto, CE4, or tank and you ready to to enjoy variable voltage vaping! The benefit of this device is that you will never run out of power so long as it's plugged in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread