My newb experiences. TW/510/JC/Glycerin/snus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all, and thanks for the treasure-trove of knowledge!

I thought i'd go ahead and register to post my experiences thus far, in hopes of helping myself, and others, to learn more.

(hopefully I won't write a book here) (I think I will - i'm quite bored, atm) :D

Less than two weeks ago I had some heart problems - palpitations or high blood pressure - something. (i'm fine atm) I guess this is embarrassing to admit, but it could save someone else by telling of my experiences.

I've become a 2-pack-a-day (lights - Marlboro/Seneca) smoker and 6-pack to 12-pack-a-day caffeinated soda drinker. Not a good combo, amongst other things. I've had only 3 caffeinated drinks since then (no problems there) and need to reduce my smoking too. One thing of note, and a warning to others is that nicotine is bad for the heart, as well, so I eventually need to get off of it but that will take some time. I've tried to quit multiple times over the years, as most smokers have, i'm sure.

So, last friday or so, I googled e-cigarettes and began my journey. I read this forum for probably 20 hours. I learned more about smoking in 3 days than i've known my entire life. I've been smoking, regularly, for over 20 years, and bought my first pack at 12 years old. Ahh, the joys of peer pressure. :)

I still had $220 in christmas money stashed and decided to give it a try. But, which e-cig?! Wow, so many choices. Like DonDaBoomVape, I wanted the Blu......

"blu holds a rather special (albeit strange) place in my heart. It was the first e-cig I was really attracted to … but upon researching it (for example here on ECF) I came to realize that it was not right for me (it might be for you, however). What a tension between the inner child and the sensible adult! I still have wistful feelings about the blu, kind of like those for that pretty cheerleader I was too timid to ask out in high school." - DonDaBoomVape
...Oh, how sexy she was, but, no! Gotta research! :) So, I did. Seems the Blu had some problems; slow shipping, small battery, small cartridge, auto battery being the biggest problems, I suppose. But, it had the PCC, the smaller size - more like an analogue (btw, whoever started using that word for traditional cigs is very clever. :) I roflmao'ed the first time I read that.) Did I mention how sexy the Blu looked? I had to fight multiple urges to impulse buy and continue my research.

Closer to the point now: I decided on the Totally Wicked 510 Titan starter kit. I purchased it last Sunday. It arrived on wednesday. I was afraid that I was spending a lot of money on a piece of junk, but it seems like a sturdy quality e-cig, so far. Granted, it's only been a few days of puffing, still.

I was afraid I wouldn't like it. I smoke very different from anyone i've ever met. Probably the lightest smoker. I take very light drags and smoke in a very relaxed style. (I could never smoke a cig after anyone else because they would hotbox it) Many of my smokes burn out in the ashtray before I remember them. I was also afraid it would be too long and, mostly, too wide. I always hated smoking Camel Wides (feels like I have a fat-lip) and was sure it would be similarly irritating. I was wrong; the 510 titan is wonderful, so far. It's pretty much like a short ink pen, and can be mistaken for one. So, no complaints in that department.

I had already cut down on my smokes a surprising amount before it's arrival (I can already see this is going to be a book, after all) When it arrived, I had to light an analogue, of course. :D I think I smoked 2 analogues while playing with the new toys and charging batteries (though they were fully charged already - I had to make sure) I tried to blow one atty out to remove the primer and give one a try. It was amazing. I knew that this could definitely simulate smoking a real cig.

I smoked vaped on it for a bit, without inhaling at all, at first. I then began inhaling and testing it out more. I, simultaneously, began to forget that I was supposed to be smoking (analogues). I vaped it for 2 or 3 hours, taking care to not inhale but occasionally, so that I didn't disturb my blood pressure with too much nicotine, when I realized that my smoking of analogues had been reduced by like 75% during that time! I had mostly forgotten to smoke them.

I tried smoking... (old dogs, and all that jazz) ...vaping more but I came to the conclusion that I did not like the juice from my starter kit. Maybe partially due to the PG (though I have no known allergies to anything, not even pollen or poison oak/ivy - i'm very resilient). It did bother my throat a bit, but that could just be because i'm used to the smoke instead, etc.. At first I swore the carts/juice tasted exactly like maple and brown sugar oatmeal that I had been enjoying the night before :) when I started to realize that I just couldn't take the taste of it at all. It was kinda chemically and perhaps even a little nauseating. Probably just that it's new and different. But, anyhow, I guess i'll figure all of this out as I go.

I then realized that I needed some juice, and asap! I returned to the forum, of course - what juice do I get?! I felt safer trying a non-Chinese juice and had heard of the Johnson Creek brand, so I did some research for hours. I finally realized that I had to place an order asap so that I could, possibly, get the juice before Sunday. I decided to give the JC a try. (I need to shorten this book!) I decided against the sampler because I figured I wouldn't like most of the flavors (not big on fruits and stuff) and was concerned about the actual amount of juice I would receive in it. I decided, then, to go with the Trio of 10ml bottles at 10% off. (I thought I should try reduced PG and probably lower nicotine to spare my heart. At first, I thought 18mg) I ended up purchasing reduced PG/11mg in Original, Tennessee Cured and Black Cherry (I am a cherry fan, though - as I take a swig of my non-caffeinated cherry Crush soda) :D

Maybe too little nicotine. I guess we'll find out. I read that the juice was too thin, also. I guess i'll find out. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

I also enjoyed many videos made by the various vapers/reviewers on Youtube. A special mention to Tropical Bob's superbly-done videos and tips. I now know what Snus is, lol.

I remembered seeing the Camel Snus in a nearby store and decided I wanted to try using some, for juice or to soak and put in a cart. (too big though, I bet) So, I needed VG.

I visited about 5 stores today and no one had, nor had heard of, Vegetable Glycerin (And I started second guessing my memory - "is it Vegetable Glycol?" I told the pharmacist, lol. (Actually my first stop did have Glycerin, but not vegetable - I kept hunting.)

I remembered to try Wal-Mart/WallyWorld - my last and final chance. I asked a lady that was stocking and she seemed really eager (overly-eager) to help me find some. Maybe because she was intrigued when I told her that I wanted it for smoking (oh, if only I could go back and strike that, as easy as in a forum post:D:D) ...in an e-cig and that I had no clue what it was really supposed to be used for, in reply to her query. Back and forth through the store twice, and nothing. I thanked her graciously and went on a solo hunt. I found Glycerin in just a few minutes and returned to show her what it was and where I had found it. She didn't seemed too thrilled at the thought of me smoking (arrgh) it. I replied, "It can't be worse than smoking cigarettes". :) I thanked her again and went on my way.

I also searched for Snus all day and finally had to go to the store near my house and get it. I also got some distilled water.

Still not sure (even after reading many of the VG/G threads) if it's safe, or what I needed, etc. I'm willing to try it out though.

Now, another problem... I stupidly mixed it by the instructions on the bottle (you can laugh at with me, now rofl) So, I assume i've wasted my Glycerin and a whole can of snus. 50/50 with distilled water. But, would like to note how cool it is to watch the tobacco juice flow out of the snus packets into a bowl of glycerin. (I was planning to try a pouch out after many hours of soaking, and mostly to soak the whole thing for a long time - perhaps a month, even, in a dark cabinet.) I guess i'll have to try again. After only 7 hours, the glycerin/water mix is black. (15 snus packets)

So, I guess that's the most of it. I'm chain-smoking these fire-safe (carpet glue) cigarettes analogues cancer sticks coffin nails for the moment and occasionally playing with my new toy, but not too interested in inhaling. And a snus in the lip is different. (of course I bought 3 cans. :)) Been years (back in high-school) since I used dip.

One last note: I don't think the FDA/Big Tobacco/Big Pharma have much to worry about, any time soon. Most of my friends and family wouldn't have the fortitude (maybe not the right word?) to smoke vape e-cigs. They'd say it's too much trouble. Too much to buy, too much to learn, too much to do. Too hard. In fact, my mom and brother would quit if there were no more Marlboro Lights. They refuse to even smoke any other brand/kind. :confused: (I posted a link to the TW 510 starter kit on my Facebook and no one has said one word yet. :confused: (actually, though, my mom has quit cold-turkey for the second time. It's been probably a year, now.)

P.S: My user name is the name of an awesome (at least, according to me) Russian, sci-fi movie that can be viewed on Google Video - with subtitles. And, it's also the name of (I think) a grass grown in Georgia (no, not that Georgia :)) that people smoke. So, perhaps quite apt. Though, not as apt as "Verbose" would have been. Is that name taken? :p

Ahh, and my first battery (been using both, though) is dying (for the first time), as I edit - time for the charger. :) Seems to last for a good while.

Vidyut

Jan 14, 2010
Mumbai
www.wide-aware.com
Hi Kin-Dza-Dza

I'm a newbie too. Just did my first refill.

I used to smoke quite heavily and am finding that just trying my e-cigs out and figuring out how they work, e-liquid, etc in preparation for the big shift has helped me cut down smoking by (like you said) simply forgetting to smoke.

My plan right now is to ditch the analogs and nicotine at the same time. I think I may make it if I keep my vapes interesting. The shift from analog to 'e' is going to take some acclimatizing anyway, just keeping my fingers crossed that my body doesn't understand that that I'm cheating it out of the nic in the process. The way I figure, there's no point adjusting to 'e' first and then to 'e nic-' again in the future if I can avoid it....

Just an idea, since you're getting into it for health reasons - maybe tobacco flavor or something to fool yourself? Not preaching or anything.

I guess its easier for me as its more about the action than the nic for me. In fact, I have realized that it isn't even about the amount of smoke/vapor, as I smoked and was fine with a little vapor too.

Lol. I should just have used vicks smeared inside drinking straws to quit :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread