Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
As long as we are throwing out Suggestions.

I would suggest that the OUTSIDE be Removed from the "New Posts" search.

There is No Warning when a person Clicks on an OUTSIDE Thread via the New Posts search. And we All now what is going to happen when a person who is Unfamiliar with the OUTSIDE bops into an OUTSIDE Threads and thinks it will be a Warm-n-Fuzzy "Debate".

;)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If you don't want it to show up in searches, go to the forum and select Ignore Forum.

What shows and does not show for the membership is now left to each individual member to decide what they do and do not want to see.

It doesn't matter to me if I see it or Not. I know what the OUTSIDE is.

Just say'n that the MOD's are going to get Complaints from Unaware .... Hurt members when they get Ganged Up on and Pummeled in the OUTSIDE.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Avatars say they need to be 200px X 200px or less. I have one I've tried to load that I keep shrinking trying to get it to load. It's currently at 178px X 190px and it's still to large. ??? I posted this in the help thread to no avail. So there's 2 things or suggestions that need attention. Avatars and the help thread.

Reactions: Debadoo

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
It doesn't matter to me if I see it or Not. I know what the OUTSIDE is.

Just say'n that the MOD's are going to get Complaints from Unaware .... Hurt members when they get Ganged Up on and Pummeled in the OUTSIDE.
I'm with you on that one. That's why I don't go on other forums. This one used to be different and was the best forum on the web but it's looking like all the others now.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Just my thoughts: The Supporting Members graphic is just fine and dandy with me. :)

The thing to remember is that when it comes to revenue, compromises are part of the equation and always occur. That's why banners and the SM graphics are all large, prominent, and clickable. Communities of this size are very very very expensive to run. Bandwidth costs, multiple dedicated servers, technology, and staff/consultants to fix and maintain things all cost money and as your Community grows in popularity, so due your costs. Think around mid 4 figures to ballpark but that's just a guess from my previous experiences. Might I also respectfully add, no one gets "rich" from the revenue generated by Forums. Except maybe Doubleclick /lol

Which reminds me so please humor me. I have long advocated a "tiered" Supporting Member's model for very high quality and vibrant communities like ECF. Although only a very small % of Forums fit this description and the idea is controversial. Please consider perhaps three tiers, for example and a back of the napkin thoughts:

$100 per year
$50 per year
$25 per year

/the end
:)

Reactions: gerrymi

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm with you on that one. That's why I don't go on other forums. This one used to be different and was the best forum on the web but it's looking like all the others now.

If a person Knows what the OUTSIDE is, and Understands what the Cartel is and Who the members are, then if they want to go to the OUTSIDE, Great. And if they Don't want to go to the OUTSIDE, that's Great also.

But to include the OUTSIDE in the New Posts search so that Unsuspecting members can stumble in is IMO a Mistake.

If the ECF wants to include the OUTSIDE in the New Posts search at least put the Warning that in the OUTSIDE "There are No Victims. Only Willing Participants."

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
But to include the OUTSIDE in the New Posts search so that Unsuspecting members can stumble in is IMO a Mistake.

DITTO! :)

And over time, if the OUTSIDE is part of their initial impressions of ECF, the net net is more newish members may leave ECF and never return. In my own case, it must have been 6 months before I figured out where and what OUTSIDE was /lol

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
When I try to view the "New Posts" link in a browser or in the "Timeline" feature in Tapatalk it only allows me to view up to 200 threads. That's only a few hours in ECF time and I find it frustrating that I can't see new posts in threads beyond that. Is there a user or system setting that can make this list longer? I used to really enjoy scrolling through all of the new activity on ECF and reading the threads that caught my attention. Now I feel that I'm missing a bunch of stuff and I log on pretty regularly throughout the day. I didn't have this problem before the switch over and it's really putting a damper on my enthusiasm for the forum if I can't see activity for threads that I don't know about beyond only a few hours. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help me?

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
When I try to view the "New Posts" link in a browser or in the "Timeline" feature in Tapatalk it only allows me to view up to 200 threads. That's only a few hours in ECF time and I find it frustrating that I can't see new posts in threads beyond that. Is there a user or system setting that can make this list longer? I used to really enjoy scrolling through all of the new activity on ECF and reading the threads that caught my attention. Now I feel that I'm missing a bunch of stuff and I log on pretty regularly throughout the day. I didn't have this problem before the switch over and it's really putting a damper on my enthusiasm for the forum if I can't see activity for threads that I don't know about beyond only a few hours. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help me?

Again. How Tapatalk works is completely out of our hands.

Reactions: clnire

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
DITTO! :)

And over time, if the OUTSIDE is part of their initial impressions of ECF, the net net is more newish members may leave ECF and never return. In my own case, it must have been 6 months before I figured out where and what OUTSIDE was /lol

Yeah... There was a Reason why the OUTSIDE was Not included in certain searches with the Old Forum Software.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
What about in a browser? When I click on the "New Posts" link on my desktop computer it only shows me results for 188 threads, the oldest that dates back less than two hours ago.

The maximum number of results for a search is set to 200. I'll speak with the server guys to see if we'll see any performance issues if that's increased.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
The maximum number of results for a search is set to 200. I'll speak with the server guys to see if we'll see any performance issues if that's increased.

Thanks! I'm pretty certain that the 200 maximum search results limit you speak of equally applies to the limited results in the Tapatalk Timeline that I mentioned along with "New Posts" from a browser in my original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread