Catfish atty mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
For some reason I just can't get my fsm to give good flavor. I've tried dual 28ga, dual 26ga and just wrapped up a dual twisted 28ga, nothing works as good as I'd expect. Any recommendations?

I like smallish dual 26ga tight coils with smallish amounts longish organic Japanese cotton ending up around .7ish. Too hot doesn't hit right for me, normally I like .3ish in atomics and cyclones. I'd say play around with resistance and also coil placement as close to air port without touching but not restricting airflow either.

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
Atomic
Cyclone with ACF
Reactor

... I will be getting at least two LP Reo Grands and probably a third for backup. I like MTL Inhaling, single coil (for now). Can u all give me your best pick bewtween the 3 and your impressions of each. I am going to be spending a lot one like most just wanting to get it right.

I'm a MTL guy, started with RM's and a Cyclone no AFC, my favorite on your list is the Atomic, followed by the Reactor. Both are dual-coil capable, if you desire to try in the future, but single coils work very well in them, the Atomic is easier to build due to the bigger diameter.

The Atomic can hold it's own for flavor against the smaller Atties since you can adjust the draw very tight, I'd recommend this over the smaller ones, including the Divo, of which I own three.

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
A while ago I asked what Chowderhead's thought about the RM2, he couldn't recommend the atty because of it's construction. He suggested I look at the Atomic, since then I did some research, this is what I came up with.

Atomic
Cyclone with ACF
Reactor

Wondering what the cost for each modded atty is including delivery.

I will be getting at least two LP Reo Grands and probably a third for backup. I like MTL Inhaling, single coil (for now). Can u all give me your best pick bewtween the 3 and your impressions of each. I am going to be spending a lot one like most just wanting to get it right.

If I already knew my preferred air flow, and had to choose only 1 I'd go with the reactor. I'm a big atty lung hitter but I hit my reactor for my first thing in the morning Vape. Stock air holes are the smallest I've ever seen on any atty so plan on doing some drilling. I bought 2 so I could have an MTL cap and a lung hitting cap. There's just something about the reactor that produces big tasty clouds for such a small atty. I think it might be the chamber height.

For the Cyclone the AFC cap has a slightly taller chamber than the non AFC. The Cyclone AFC experience was when I first started doing lung hits. After a very short period (maybe an hour) I've been a lung hitter ever since. I loved the cyclone so much that at one point I had 6. I BF drilled most of them myself. This was about the time chowder was coerced into business. ( thanks to chowder for the replacement posts for the ones I snapped my bits off in :) )

You really can't go wrong with any of them for MTL. :)

custom-classic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
USA

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Clarksburg, Maryland, United States

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
If I already knew my preferred air flow, and had to choose only 1 I'd go with the reactor. I'm a big atty lung hitter but I hit my reactor for my first thing in the morning Vape. Stock air holes are the smallest I've ever seen on any atty so plan on doing some drilling. I bought 2 so I could have an MTL cap and a lung hitting cap. There's just something about the reactor that produces big tasty clouds for such a small atty. I think it might be the chamber height.

For the Cyclone the AFC cap has a slightly taller chamber than the non AFC. The Cyclone AFC experience was when I first started doing lung hits. After a very short period (maybe an hour) I've been a lung hitter ever since. I loved the cyclone so much that at one point I had 6. I BF drilled most of them myself. This was about the time chowder was coerced into business. ( thanks to chowder for the replacement posts for the ones I snapped my bits off in :) )

You really can't go wrong with any of them for MTL. :)

Agreed... The tall narrow chamber of the reactor and s a thing of genius. The oddly shaped chamber give a collumnating effect on the vapor. Think of the top of the chamber on a kayfun3. This is also present in the Manta and to an extent in the Rematty. The upside down funnel focuses the vapor where a lot of the super short attys actually disperse the vapor. The Marquis and veritas also did this and I'm a firm believer in that concept. Short stumpy attys are nice but personally I have never really gotten the flavor out of them, I like my Derringer for clouds and being very compact but in actual use I'm more of a tall atty guy.

lyspaere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Wisconsin
HellBoy Round #2 these are in and can be ready to go tomorrow.
1. TheDigital99 (Black)
2. VeeHa (Black)
3. VeeHa (SS)
4. Plumeguy (Black)
5. LR40K (Black)
6. Mantis4343 (Black)
7. supersport13 (SS)

REMatty list *****. 60 REMAttys ordered 5/4/15 final price tbd (95-105) depending on difficulty and parts required. By the looks of it it should be on the lower end of that price.
I'm told these are ready to ship to me and they are coming from California so it could be this weekend.
1. snakedoc
2. penguiness
3. Harleyndn
4. distortoblotto
5. X-Puppy
6. Plumeguy
7. Nautilusfan
8. calpis
9. Kingdal
10. Clark F
11. TheDigital99
12. robbieblood
13. malkuth
14. fairtradesloth
15. inswva
16. Raynman
17. Jeffreyace
18. havok333
19. magnetnerd
20. cd68
21. jhhollier
22. pwheeler
23. freedogg
24. johnnyseeandoh
25. RuDawg7890
26. KenInCT
27. lyspaere

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I think everyone's giving you about the same info - which should start with: "you've got a GREAT list there, for MTL vaping!!".

I've got all three. Here's my thoughts on each in case any of it matters to you:

1 - Cyclone AFC. I use this ALL the time, but I use it WIDE OPEN, and do a lung hit. Back when I started with rebuildables, I liked a TIGHT draw - and liked the Cyclone with the stock cap - TINY little airhole, but leak-proof. The AFC, it's kinda easy to squonk out the airholes...but I'm getting just the hit I happen to like (weird me - single coil, but both airholes open).

2 - Atomic. Might be the most flexible, because it's set up better than the Cyclone for dual coils, and has an AFC, too. But if you're STAYING MTL and single coil, I'm not sure if it's got any advantage over the Cyclone. My opinion here is stilted cuz I keep building my Cyclone single, but keep building my Atomic dual..

3 - Reactor. No AFC. BUT - if you can dial in what airhole size gives you the draw you like, then this atty has a couple advantages. Like no AFC to allow leaking or to change setting on you. And if your airhole's kind of small, it might be completely leak-proof. Also, this thing is built like a solid ingot of steel. Put a Reactor on a Reo, you can pretty much hammer nails with it.

You'll probably end up like the rest of us - with an atty collection.
Pick any one of these, and you're off to a good start!

A while ago I asked what Chowderhead's thought about the RM2, he couldn't recommend the atty because of it's construction. He suggested I look at the Atomic, since then I did some research, this is what I came up with.

Atomic
Cyclone with ACF
Reactor

Wondering what the cost for each modded atty is including delivery.

I will be getting at least two LP Reo Grands and probably a third for backup. I like MTL Inhaling, single coil (for now). Can u all give me your best pick bewtween the 3 and your impressions of each. I am going to be spending a lot one like most just wanting to get it right.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Oh, plus, gotta show off my ingenious drip-tip pairing here, in case you Reactor fans hadn't thought of it. Perfect matchup.

reactor-lokitip_zps9xpd78uz.jpg

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Oh, plus, gotta show off my ingenious drip-tip pairing here, in case you Reactor fans hadn't thought of it. Perfect matchup.

The better question would be why is there a Loki lab logo on my Reactor? Much akin to a Kia logo on a Bugatti IMO.

jhawk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2013
Dauphin Island, Alabama
[quote uid=135963 name="Train2" post=15729084]Oh, plus, gotta show off my ingenious drip-tip pairing here, in case you Reactor fans hadn't thought of it. Perfect matchup.<br /><br />
[/QUOTE]<br />The better question would be why is there a Loki lab logo on my Reactor? Much akin to a Kia logo on a Bugatti IMO.

Lol.

Sent from my Huawei using Tmobile 4G VoLTE

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
I think everyone's giving you about the same info - which should start with: "you've got a GREAT list there, for MTL vaping!!".

I've got all three. Here's my thoughts on each in case any of it matters to you:

1 - Cyclone AFC. I use this ALL the time, but I use it WIDE OPEN, and do a lung hit. Back when I started with rebuildables, I liked a TIGHT draw - and liked the Cyclone with the stock cap - TINY little airhole, but leak-proof. The AFC, it's kinda easy to squonk out the airholes...but I'm getting just the hit I happen to like (weird me - single coil, but both airholes open).

2 - Atomic. Might be the most flexible, because it's set up better than the Cyclone for dual coils, and has an AFC, too. But if you're STAYING MTL and single coil, I'm not sure if it's got any advantage over the Cyclone. My opinion here is stilted cuz I keep building my Cyclone single, but keep building my Atomic dual..

3 - Reactor. No AFC. BUT - if you can dial in what airhole size gives you the draw you like, then this atty has a couple advantages. Like no AFC to allow leaking or to change setting on you. And if your airhole's kind of small, it might be completely leak-proof. Also, this thing is built like a solid ingot of steel. Put a Reactor on a Reo, you can pretty much hammer nails with it.

You'll probably end up like the rest of us - with an atty collection.
Pick any one of these, and you're off to a good start!

I agree categorically... The reasons I suggested the atomic:
The atomic is a bottom end atty with all the features of a much nicer atty; tri-post, lockable afc, mid sized. The mid size being the most important. The atomic will quickly help you figure out if you are a mtl guy or if you need big air. That's something that you have to discover on your own. Anyone that tries to tell you what the best atty for you with no data to make that decision is a fool. I'm not a fool (unless of course you ask my ex-wife). To make a fair assessment I need to know a few things, the atomic is the perfect starter atty and with its mid size you can play with the afc to see what you like. The other attys you have mentioned would make great #2 attys if you discover mtl is your long lost friend. If not you would have wasted $70-$125 on the mtl options. I stand by what I said. I spent nearly $2k on cyclones and Reactors when I started bottom feeding only to learn I don't like mtl. I like the threshold between mtl and just barely not mtl. Point being just because some slapdick likes atty x doesn't mean it's great for you. You need to learn about you first then you can begin your journey. My atomic is identical to the RM4 but with a larger squonker hole for easier squonking and better drainage, and yes mine all have dual drain. Buy mine, Buy Robs it up to you but that's my recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread