RDA Looking for a good clone RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike89

Apr 25, 2015
I'm not worried about the build design but after your comments, more concerned about the heat you mentioned. It's one of the reasons I'm getting rid of the Tugboat V2 clone. I mean if anything more than 20 watts almost burns your lips even with plastic drip tips, I don't see much use for it. Well I guess the new one coming can't get any worse than the last one.

Smeef

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Williamsport, PA
I've tried both single coil and dual coil builds at around .5 ohms. Any higher than 20 watts on this thing and it just gets too hot, even the drip tip burns the mouth.

The Tugboat V2 is a tighter airflow which will result in a warmer vape. If you're just getting into it or like a cooler vape, it probably isn't going to be for you and may steer you away from RDA's. There are others out there with a good amount of airflow adjustment to suit a number of tastes. Mutation X V2 or V3, Dark Horse or Troll may be more up your alley. You can have more airflow options to suit what you like.

Dunno about RDAs yet in this part of my vaping journey, have to play around some more I guess. It's alright but it's not blowing me out of the water like I was expecting from watching all the vids I've seen of the die hard RDAers.

What are you expecting to get out of it if I may ask?

Mike89

Apr 25, 2015
What are you expecting to get out of it if I may ask?

For me I'm expecting both flavor and vapor. My bar right now is my Atlantis at .5 ohm at 35 watts. Very pleasureable vape in both categories. The vids I see of it rank it high but always mention it's not in the same league with an RDA on both counts. So I think if my Atlantis rocks, an RDA must Rock more. My first RDA experience with this clone didn't show that at all. It was no where near the Atlantis in flavor and in the enjoyment of vaping itself. Like I said, if I went above 20 watts with a .5 ohm build I couldn't vape it for much more than a second before it started burning my lips. 20 watts and I could hit it a few seconds and then had to wait a minute before I could do it again because of the heat. That's much different from just a warm vape.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'm using it on a Istick 50 watt. Tried a 6 wrap 26 gauge Kanthal dual coil build and a single coil Parallel 5 wrap build with same wire.

I vape on 30 mm veritas; got 3 of em.

As for things getting hot, it's all dependent on the wire gauge you use.
26 gauge needs about 20 watts per ohm.
use the steam engine calculator when building.
the heat flux thing on the right shows you how hot your build will be.

Current might be a more intuitive way of thinking about it.
gauge ----- current (Amps) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.2
32 ----- 1.7
30 ----- 2.4
28 ----- 3
26 ----- 5
24 ----- 7
22 ----- 10
20 ----- 13
Kanthal A1
gauge ----- watt per ohm (per coil) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.4
32 ----- 3
30 ----- 6
28 ----- 10
26 ----- 23
24 ----- 45
22 ----- 91
20 ----- 182
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

RichJr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boston Ma.
I have to recommend the Yep V1. It's simple, pretty and quality made.

E2nCOkzm.jpg

Lb8y1j5m.jpg

Heat sink on top and bottom. Chuff cap. Copper contacts. I've put over 100 watts through it and it's perfect. Not expensive either.

Smeef

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Williamsport, PA
I'm using it on a Istick 50 watt. Tried a 6 wrap 26 gauge Kanthal dual coil build and a single coil Parallel 5 wrap build with same wire.

What is your coil placement like in relation to the airflow holes? Also what does your wick job look like?

Sent from deep space via telegraph.

Last edited:

Smeef

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Williamsport, PA
I'm not doubting your building/wicking skills. I'm just trying to help. Something isn't right and I doubt it's the fact your atty is a clone. I can rip 90W on a .18ohm build on my clone Dark Horse all day and it's never as hot as you're describing. I've ripped on my buds Tugboat V2 with the same exact build and it's perfrectly vapable. I have a clone HAZE which is probably the closest I own to a Tugboat airflow built at .2 and it's fine. Maybe your airflow needs enlarging? It's hard to say without a pic though.

Sent from deep space via telegraph.

Mike89

Apr 25, 2015
I wasn't taking any offense and thanks for the help. Lots of different clones and they are not all created equal. Dunno about mine and don't care anymore as I already sent it back. I have two more clones coming, a Veritas clone from where I bought this one (replacement for the Tugboat) and a Plume Veil I bought from Fasttech. Time to play again when they get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread