e-cig that works in freezing conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
How "freezing" are we talking here? I don't know a lot of mods that have been rated to work in, say, sub-zero conditions.

Additionally, I'm always mindful of the temperature of where I'm leaving my e-cig. Like leaving it in the car on a freezing cold day or, adversely, a really hot day will likely do something funky to the juice or the electronics, one way or another.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
From what I've read most people who work in freezing temps keep their e cig in an inside pocket (shirt pocket under a coat) and take it out to vape. I looked at the "Faze" e cig, is it like the first one on the left in the picture below?
My%20Vape%202%20007_zpst1e620rm.jpg

Far left is my beginner CE5 with 650 mah, The second is th4e Aspire ET-S, 3rd from left is the Smok Micro coil BDC, the tall one in middle is a VV 1600 mah with an Aspire Nautilus Mini, the black box with the tank is an iStick 50W with the Nautilus Mini.

garyshiz

May 27, 2015
Sanpete County, UT
From what I've read most people who work in freezing temps keep their e cig in an inside pocket (shirt pocket under a coat) and take it out to vape. I looked at the "Faze" e cig, is it like the first one on the left in the picture below?
My%20Vape%202%20007_zpst1e620rm.jpg

Far left is my beginner CE5 with 650 mah, The second is th4e Aspire ET-S, 3rd from left is the Smok Micro coil BDC, the tall one in middle is a VV 1600 mah with an Aspire Nautilus Mini, the black box with the tank is an iStick 50W with the Nautilus Mini.
Yes, the one on the left is the one I have.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
When I walked into a vape store for the first time the girl asked what I was using. I pulled the one on the far left out and she said "You'll throw that away." I was kinda surprised because I really liked it. As you can see in my progression, she was right. It's really technology from a few years ago.

When you get to the point you want to upgrade (I'd recommend skipping upgrades #2 &#3,) you can look here :

FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals | E-Cigarette Forum (go to last couple pages)

Other than keeping it in a shirt pocket for warmth, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
Are you also using the faze e-cig?

No I use a 150 watt box so I am probably less susceptible to the issues you are seeing.

VG= vegetable Glycerin PG= Propylene Glycol. These are the two base liquids used to make your vape juice. The VG is much thicker and turns to almost a jelly like consistency when it cools. PG is much thinner and runs almost like water. The side of your juice bottle should tell you what percentage of each it has it will say something like PG/VG ratio 60%/40%

Reactions: nyiddle

garyshiz

May 27, 2015
Sanpete County, UT
When I walked into a vape store for the first time the girl asked what I was using. I pulled the one on the far left out and she said "You'll throw that away." I was kinda surprised because I really liked it. As you can see in my progression, she was right. It's really technology from a few years ago.

When you get to the point you want to upgrade (I'd recommend skipping upgrades #2 &#3,) you can look here :

FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals | E-Cigarette Forum (go to last couple pages)

Other than keeping it in a shirt pocket for warmth, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck.
Thank you

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
In below freezing temperatures most vapes will have some issues. It may even potentially cause damage to the battery, which is no good.

I agree with others, keeping it in your pocket or something would likely help. Also, the Faze (which is basically just an Ego battery + clearomizer) is sort of a replaceable unit. As @Sir2fyablyNutz said:

You'll throw that away.

I can't guarantee it, but another device might work better in temperatures. You may even consider something like the E-LVT (55$), which is supposed to be particularly good with shock/water/etc. damage. I have no idea how it'll withstand to freezing temps. In general anything with a screen is gonna have some problems in freezing temperatures, but for the most part if the screen is on the device is technically functional (you'll be able to vape on it even though the screen lags or whatever).

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    @nyiddle, you bring up a good point about the batteries. The electronics should be good to just about any temp we can survive on. Even the displays can handle -30C (if your device has one)! But the batteries can gave lots of problems.

Even if it's not cold enough to actually freeze the electrolyte (a very bad thing) the battery's internal resistance skyrockets when cold and its voltage under load plummets until it warms up. If operating near the high end of the battery's ability to deliver current then the voltage can instantly drop too low (when firing) to power the device's electronics.

Some times doing short draws a few times until the battery warms up a bit can help. It doesn't draw the battery voltage too low but still draws some current to heat things up. Or, dial down the voltage/power/temperature until the battery warms up. But, this means messing with your flavor...probably not at all acceptable. :)

Some batteries are better in cold weather than others. The lower the internal resistance the better.

Reactions: nyiddle
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread