Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
thats like saying dirt on the outside of a garden hose reduces water flow.....

Its not huge, but if you let a coil get buildup on it for some time, you might see, for example, a .21 ohm build increase to .22 ohm. Take the wick out and heat up the coil to clean it and it will drop back down to .21. This isn't something that I just made up because I thought it sounded good.... I have done it before.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I think that everyone should vape at exactly 11.2638 Watts. No more, no less.

Seriously, if one is concerned that running at too high of wattage could cause one to ingest formaldehyde, then TURN DOWN YOUR POWER. If you feel smoking is bad for you and you no longer wish to smoke, then DON'T. If you feel that vaping could be bad for you (which I personally don't see vaping as such) then DON'T VAPE.

Why does everyone make this so difficult? I will continue to vape within the limits of *MY* tolerance. Y'all knock yourselves out :)

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
To minimize the risk of scorching my Aspire BVC coils (which happens very easily and once it's done it's done), I tend to keep my power <= 6W. Vaping cool not only extends coil-life and maintains the best flavour, it also prolongs battery life and ensures safety. I've truly never understood people who go over 10W: it's completely unnecessary in my view, not to say wasteful of expensive components.
I like vaping at higher wattages because of these:
8a15bdf20adacf6025d0e6b8d85f1e9a.jpg

That's a dual 24g .3 ohm build in my Dark Horse at 65w on my 150w IPV3...good clouds and superb flavor....wide open airflow on the Dark Horse also makes for a cooler vape and deep lung hits possible...
l vape subtanks like the Starre with the .25 ohm coil at around 55w for thick clouds as well.... Higher wattages work great for me..
BTW, this build shown here is 2 weeks old and still hitting like the day I installed it. A bag of cotton balls and a spool of 24g kanthel
cost me under $12 that's good for at least 25 builds... A quality vape that's extremely enjoyable and affordable...I wouldn't have it any other way[emoji41]

sent from my XT1080 via dualtalk

Last edited:

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Time to beat the dead horse some more. That will vary based on two things:
1) Personal preference (large clouds, medium clouds, small clouds, warm vs cold vape, difference in flavor, etc.)
2) Resistance of coil(s)

Personally, I build 1.2 ohm coils and vape at 14-15W
With NI200, I stick with a .16 ohm coil, 420 degrees (f), and 14W

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Time to beat the dead horse some more. That will vary based on two things:
1) Personal preference (large clouds, medium clouds, small clouds, warm vs cold vape, difference in flavor, etc.)
2) Resistance of coil(s)

Personally, I build 1.2 ohm coils and vape at 14-15W
With NI200, I stick with a .16 ohm coil, 420 degrees (f), and 14W
Okay I get your point, but what is your personal preference?
Low watts? Small vapor or just flavor?
I guess it all speculative but out of all the ways I've tried to stay tobacco free vaping at the higher wattages always gives me a good nicotine fix that I crave...without going overboard on how much nic is in my juice...
But I won't beat the dead horse anymore, lol
I am kinda curious of your setup though...

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
To minimize the risk of scorching my Aspire BVC coils (which happens very easily and once it's done it's done), I tend to keep my power <= 6W. Vaping cool not only extends coil-life and maintains the best flavour, it also prolongs battery life and ensures safety. I've truly never understood people who go over 10W: it's completely unnecessary in my view, not to say wasteful of expensive components.

Your beliefs are wrong.

Vaping at too low of a wattage is just as bad for the coils and wicks as vaping too high. Instead of burning the wick you'll flood the coil and gunk them up faster with a syrup-like goo because you're only converting part of the liquid to vapor and simply reducing what is left to a thicker substance. You'll get more spitting, leaking, and gurgling from running it too low as well.

Specifically with Aspire Nautilus BVC coils the ideal wattage is between 10W and 20W, with 15W being just about perfect. That's what Aspire themselves recommend, and running them below recommended wattage is potentially damaging. Personally I run them between 15W and 19W depending on the liquid I'm using. 15W for 60VG/40PG mixes with dark colors or more sweetened flavors, up to 19W for 50/50 mixes with clear colors and little to no sweeteners. I'm able to run between 120ml and 180ml through a single coil at those wattages, depending on how thick and how darkly colored the juices are. That's 5ml per day for 3 weeks to a month at 15-19W on a single coil. I seriously doubt you're running significantly more juice through your coils than I'm running through mine, in fact I would be willing to bet that yours are only lasting around half to 3/4s of that.

I've never understood people who contradict the manufacturer's recommendations and believe they know better than the people who designed and built this stuff. If you know more about coils than Aspire then why are you using retail coils at all instead of building your own?

I also find it funny that you talk about vaping at 3.6V while having a mech mod as your avatar. Surely you must know that a fully charged battery in a mech mod puts out 4.2V, which would put you at 11W with the 1.6ohm coil and 9.8W with the 1.8ohm coil. You must also know that to hit your "ideal" voltage with a freshly charged battery you would have to use a regulated mod with buck circuitry, in which case your "safety" statements are moot. Any regulated mod will take care of all of the battery safety for you. It's not a concern.

Last edited:

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Your beliefs are wrong.

Vaping at too low of a wattage is just as bad for the coils and wicks as vaping too high. Instead of burning the wick you'll flood the coil and gunk them up faster with a syrup-like goo because you're only converting part of the liquid to vapor and simply reducing what is left to a thicker substance. You'll get more spitting, leaking, and gurgling from running it too low as well.

Specifically with Aspire Nautilus BVC coils the ideal wattage is between 10W and 20W, with 15W being just about perfect. That's what Aspire themselves recommend. Personally I run them between 15W and 19W depending on the liquid I'm using. 15W for 60VG/40PG mixes with dark colors or more sweetened flavors, up to 19W for 50/50 mixes with clear colors and little to no sweeteners. I'm able to run between 120ml and 180ml through a single coil at those wattages, depending on how thick and how darkly colored the juices are. That's 5ml per day for 3 weeks to a month at 15-19W on a single coil. I seriously doubt you're running significantly more juice through your coils than I'm running through mine, in fact I would be willing to bet that yours are only lasting around half to 3/4s of that.

I've never understood people who contradict the manufacturer's recommendations and believe they know better than the people who designed and built this stuff. If you know more about coils than Aspire then why are you using retail coils at all instead of building your own?
My hats off to you Average! I couldn't have said it better myself! Very cool [emoji41]

Reactions: Ohm Gnome

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Okay I get your point, but what is your personal preference?
Low watts? Small vapor or just flavor?
I guess it all speculative but out of all the ways I've tried to stay tobacco free vaping at the higher wattages always gives me a good nicotine fix that I crave...without going overboard on how much nic is in my juice...
But I won't beat the dead horse anymore, lol
I am kinda curious of your setup though...

With non-temp control devices, I build my coils at around .7-1.2 ohms. At .7, I'll vape at 25W, at 1.2, I'll vape at 14W. I prefer higher ohm builds, vaping with lower watts.
With temp control devices, same thing: 420 degrees (f), higher ohm coils (1.2) and lower watts (14-16, typically 14).

With the aforementioned, I tend to get decent clouds, and awesome flavor. The only time I go for larger clouds is when the Miss tells me to stop "steaming up the house" :D

Reactions: smacksy

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
With non-temp control devices, I build my coils at around .7-1.2 ohms. At .7, I'll vape at 25W, at 1.2, I'll vape at 14W. I prefer higher ohm builds, vaping with lower watts.
With temp control devices, same thing: 420 degrees (f), higher ohm coils (1.2) and lower watts (14-16, typically 14).

With the aforementioned, I tend to get decent clouds, and awesome flavor. The only time I go for larger clouds is when the Miss tells me to stop "steaming up the house" :D
You state 14 watts on TC Ni200 builds, to use Ni200 on my IPV4 it reads in joules, not watts...also I have to build between .12-1.0 ohms for the TC (joules) to work..thought all mods uses joules for TC...At least my two do...
BTW, personally I don't use Ni200 or TC much..I get way more vapor/flavor with A1 Kanthel... Usually 24-26g for VW and 22-24g in my mechs...but its still all good! Lol

Last edited:

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
You state 14 watts on TC Ni200 builds, to use Ni200 on my IPV4 it reads in joules, not watts...also I have to build between .12-1.0 ohms for the TC (joules) to work..thought all mods uses joules for TC...At least my two do...
BTW, personally I don't use Ni200 or TC much..I get way more vapor/flavor with A1 Kanthel... Usually 24-26g for VW and 22-24g in my mechs...but its still all good! Lol

He is probably using a DNA 40 which uses watts instead of joules. But if you want more vapor with temp control, the IPV4 isn't the device since .12 ohms is a restriction. You can build some decent dual coils with the SX Mini or Snow Wolf since both can be built as low as .05

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

Reactions: GrandSam

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
He is probably using a DNA 40 which uses watts instead of joules. But if you want more vapor with temp control, the IPV4 isn't the device since .12 ohms is a restriction. You can build some decent dual coils with the SX Mini or Snow Wolf since both can be built as low as .05

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition
Lower resistance doesn't work for me on my regulated mods... And the SX Mini is a single batt mod that doesn't last too long on a single charge.. The 200w Snow Wolf is overkill on power.. I mean like who in the hell vapes at 200w?? Not me, that's for sure..that and the fact these made in China mods are pricy, S130- $200... No sir, I'll stick to what works great for me personally..and keep my money in my wallet..BTW,
A .3 dual kanthel build produces more vapor/flavor at 65w on the IPV3 than a .12 buiid at 75w... But I reckon its all speculative.. It's what I can afford and continues to keep me satisfied and tobacco free that is important..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread