REO Woodvil & Derringer - Adjust to sit flush, help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
Use the allen wrench that came with your woodvil to adjust the 510. It is reversed, so right is loose and left is tighter.

Thank you! Okay...so, I adjusted the REO as mentioned, but the Derringer still will not flush mount. Can the Derringer be adjusted? The REO is all the way to the left.

Reactions: keepsmiling

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
I notice my derringer sits a tiny bit off the deck of my tmod also.A friend suggested i leave it that way to avoid the swirls.
Hope someone else can help you out.

Thanks...that helps to know that mine is not the only one that does not sit flush. Mine is actually more raised than I thought it would be, so I am hoping it can be tweaked a bit!

freedogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Erie,Pa
I am having the same problem.

I have 17 bf attys and none of them is even close to sitting flush. The center post that the adjusting screw fits in is too high. Don't know if that's adjustable.

I'll wait till Rob gets back from his fishing trip then give him a call. The new Woodvil is a beauty tho.

Reactions: JC Okie

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
You can also get a pack of various grade wet/dry sand paper (say 220 to 600 grit), wet the sand paper and lay it on a flat surface, hold your Derringer (or any rda) upright as possible and run the 510 end in a figure "8" pattern on it. The figure "8" will keep the bottom of the 510 relatively flat and true (good enough anyway). I've done this to a number of RDA's, (and I've taken apart many many more) I've yet to come across one that you can't safely take 1 mm or so off the end of the 510. Just make sure you finish with the 600 to get the smoothest surface you can on the center pin, you don't want to create excess v drop.

Just check it often on the Woodie, you don't want to go any more than you need...some center pins have a shoulder you don't want to get too close to but a Derringer (even the new 2 piece center pin version) you'll be fine.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Hi All -

I just received my Woodvil and my Derringer. Unfortunately, the RDA does not sit flush. Can some one post a picture or two of how I can make adjustments so a flush mount can be accomplished?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided!

Hey Kori, congrats on the new Woodvil...:) I knew you would wind up with another Reo after purchasing that one from me. I knew there was still some Porkie dust on it when it left here. Sorry to hear about the problem with the Derringer though. Have you checked out the video by Russ, (Super_X_Drifter), on how to adjust the new 510's? If you need the link I can get it for you. I am awaiting my Woodvil which will be here tomorrow. I noticed you haven't checked in to the roll call thread either. Just a quick post is all it takes... Here's a link...

Reo Roll Call | Page 143 | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: JC Okie

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Hi All -

I just received my Woodvil and my Derringer. Unfortunately, the RDA does not sit flush. Can some one post a picture or two of how I can make adjustments so a flush mount can be accomplished?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided!

My fix is to use the Derringer on something else and get an RM7, it's a great little rda.

Reactions: Fuzzy Bruce

d4gger

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Tom (Chowderhead) tends to run his 510 pins a slight bit long, giving a slight gap between a fresh Reo and and the atty base. I don't mind it too much, I don't actually ever look at it from an angle to notice and it doesn't affect firing or squonking. If it bothers you, sanding as above is probably the easiest fix.

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
You can also get a pack of various grade wet/dry sand paper (say 220 to 600 grit), wet the sand paper and lay it on a flat surface, hold your Derringer (or any RDA) upright as possible and run the 510 end in a figure "8" pattern on it. The figure "8" will keep the bottom of the 510 relatively flat and true (good enough anyway). I've done this to a number of RDA's, (and I've taken apart many many more) I've yet to come across one that you can't safely take 1 mm or so off the end of the 510. Just make sure you finish with the 600 to get the smoothest surface you can on the center pin, you don't want to create excess v drop.

Just check it often on the Woodie, you don't want to go any more than you need...some center pins have a shoulder you don't want to get too close to but a Derringer (even the new 2 piece center pin version) you'll be fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. If I do sand, I risk filing out the notches on the center pin. Does that matter?

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
Hey Kori, congrats on the new Woodvil...:) I knew you would wind up with another Reo after purchasing that one from me. I knew there was still some Porkie dust on it when it left here. Sorry to hear about the problem with the Derringer though. Have you checked out the video by Russ, (Super_X_Drifter), on how to adjust the new 510's? If you need the link I can get it for you. I am awaiting my Woodvil which will be here tomorrow. I noticed you haven't checked in to the roll call thread either. Just a quick post is all it takes... Here's a link...

Reo Roll Call | Page 143 | E-Cigarette Forum

Hi Mike - thanks for chiming in! I have not seen the video on how to adjust the new 510. I would love to if you have time to send the link.

Also, I followed the link above for the REO roll call. Thanks for sending it over.

Hope you like the Woodvil. They certainly are beautiful! Best to you....

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Mine's like that, so long as it doesn't leak under the 510 I'm totally cool with it though. Looks like it is levitating like a holy ghost. Adds to the whole sacred vapor concept of my mod :)

Doesn't seem to be leaking...out of 4 reos, only one of my 510s leak, and I've gotta run an o-ring on that one.

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
Lol...I am all for levitating, but this seems kind of high to me. Does this look similar to yours?

6e5be863ff97ee9b4d7016a2ceef78c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
I do not own a woodvil but, I can see an advantage to having any atomizer sit a little above the device. I would think that a flush atty could possibly cause some scratching of the wood around the 510 connection. This marring of the finish could be a bad thing not to mention not looking so pretty.

But hey, what do I know, I think the woodies are spectacularly beautiful but not durable enough for my derelict lifestyle.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Thanks for the suggestion. If I do sand, I risk filing out the notches on the center pin. Does that matter?

Not at all, in fact I've often wondered why the center pin is notched...it really serves no purpose unless decreasing the surface area of the connection point and increasing v drop is the goal?

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Hi Mike - thanks for chiming in! I have not seen the video on how to adjust the new 510. I would love to if you have time to send the link.

Also, I followed the link above for the REO roll call. Thanks for sending it over.

Hope you like the Woodvil. They certainly are beautiful! Best to you....

Here's one...

Here's another...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread