Hand allergy with vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyNY

Apr 18, 2015
I cant imagine it is from vaping itself, but more related due to either getting nicotine on your fingers and not washing your hands right away, or the type of metal your device is made from. Do you have any sort of leaking with your device? I know when I first started vaping high nicotine the inside of my mouth was peeling and it was raw and sore. So this is the only thing i can think of other than dehydration drying you out but if you think it is a chemical reaction make sure your device is not leaking and you don't get nicotine on your hands. When your hands are sweaty and a slight smudge of juice gets on you it is hard to tell it is there. You may also try wearing a glove when you vape to see if that remedies the situation. If it does then it is something that is making contact on your skin not the vaping itself.
I'm vaping a 0 nic 70/30 juice. I just left the doctor and he of course said to stop vaping and the skin condition will go away.

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2015
Fl.
I'm vaping a 0 nic 70/30 juice. I just left the doctor and he of course said to stop vaping and the skin condition will go away.
oh!! well in that case it is most likely an allergy to the metal of the mod doctors are not very helpful unless they want to be but I would try everything before giving it up. Try the gloves and see if it improves before calling it quits. also try high vg, then try high PG, then try no flavors. Try to single out what the culprit is that is causing you issues. Good luck!

Reactions: tvapernow

MikeyNY

Apr 18, 2015
oh!! well in that case it is most likely an allergy to the metal of the mod doctors are not very helpful unless they want to be but I would try everything before giving it up. Try the gloves and see if it improves before calling it quits. also try high vg, then try high PG, then try no flavors. Try to single out what the culprit is that is causing you issues. Good luck!
Thanks. I currently have two iSsticks, the 30 & 50. Do you think I should buy a sleeve for them as to avoid contact with them? Like I mentioned before, what's strange is it's on my left hand and I'm a righty

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
It sounds to me more like a reaction to the mod itself. Try wearing some gloves and see if you skin still reacts the same way. If it was caused by something in the eliquid, I don't think the reaction would be that fast.
The only other thing I can think of is trying a mod made of a different metal or something you can put a wrap on.
You can use duck tape for a wrap. Less expensive than a J-Wrap while trying to figure out what the problem is. And you can use it to wrap almost any device. J-Wraps doesn't have wraps for everything-- well- pert'near.

Heavy_H2O

Apr 27, 2015
SoCal
I have had this. It starts with painful sensation on affected areas. Then blisters form, and when they subside they peel off. It took several doctor visits and tests before finding out I am sensitive to copper and brass. As others suggested, wrap your mods.

If you are curious, test which mods you are sensitive to. For me it was after 24-32 hrs of handling copper mods (heavy use - at least 4 hrs a day) that I feel the symptoms. But I would consult your Dr., if I were you. It may not be metal, and could be something else that you are allergic to

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2015
Fl.
Thanks. I currently have two iSsticks, the 30 & 50. Do you think I should buy a sleeve for them as to avoid contact with them? Like I mentioned before, what's strange is it's on my left hand and I'm a righty
it couldnt hurt I have the 50 and 30 istick as well and I have sleeves for both I only paid 5 bucks for mine on ebay and they fit great! I don't have an allergy but I wanted to protect my devices from scratches. If it is ending up on the opposite hand then I am not sure? Is it just the one or both and one is just worse than the other? I'm not a doctor, so I cant give you medical advice but I would try each aspect seperately and narrow it down to the possible culprit and then eliminate that or at least minimize it. I really do hope you figure it out. Despite my beginning raw mouth problem I really enjoy vaping and I feel much better for it so I hope the same will happen for you.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
You do realize that humans only have three layers of skin right?
Good luck.

How about a little more help and a little less snark when a relatively new member posts about a problem? :facepalm:

Also, since we're on the subject, while human skin is indeed composed of three layers, the epidermis is actually made up of five layers of skin and the dermis is made up of 3. The hypodermis, while still considered a layer of skin, is comprised of fat and connective tissue.

Last edited:

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
How about a little more help and a little less snark when a relatively new member posts about a problem? :facepalm:

Well excuse me. Honestly wasn't intending it as 'snark'. None of my posts
have ever been accused as being 'snarky' before. It was more to the tune
of, "Hey it can't be that bad we have 3 layers here." BUT apologies to the
OP if it was construed as 'snark'. Wanna see snark, peruse through the forum,
it is obvious at times. So glad someone is here to set me straight, have a
great evening. :)

Bootiewootsy

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2014
Port Orange, Florida, USA
I can't imagine what is causing your hands to have such a reaction.. I have many allergies besides asthma, and I make all my own juices, except for a couple I ordered, and I am not that cautious as I should be.. I get alot of pg, vg, and even nicotine on them as I don't wear gloves and have never had a problem.
Were you outside maybe and have gotten into some poison ivy or something without knowing.
I certainly hope it clears up for you.

tvapernow

May 25, 2015
;)

Also, since we're on the subject, while human skin is indeed composed of three layers, the epidermis is actually made up of five layers of skin and the dermis is made up of 3. The hypodermis, while still considered a layer of skin, is comprised of fat and connective tissue.

And we all have some skin in the game, by the skin of our teeth. Begin the skin jokes...;)
Sigh... It's Friday... Dang this juice taste good... Cancer stick?...umm.. no thanks, I'm good:)

tvapernow

May 25, 2015
Hello all, I come here baffled and frustrated. To put it simply when ever I start vaping my hands will start peeling pretty bad. When I start vaping about 3 to 4 layers of skin will come off. And yes some times it will be painful . I'll try post some pictures to show you guys. Posting here was my last resort. If any body has this issue I would like to know. I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe my hands are just super sensitive to some thing in the liquid or maybe even the metal in my mechanical mod. It doesn't look to bad in the photos because I've stopped vaping and it has cleared up ALOT . Usually it's a lot worse. the photo is between the thumb and index finger that spot hurt. I know for a solid fact it's from vaping . When I stop vaping my hands clear up and go back no normal that simple.

And this is really baffling. You really need to go see a good dermatologist. For your doctor to say stop vaping and it will go away, it doesn't seem like he's either interested, or knows anything. You need a good dermatologist and someone who specializes in allergies and skin. This doesn't look like something to take lightly to me.

tvapernow

May 25, 2015
And this is really baffling. You really need to go see a good dermatologist. For your doctor to say stop vaping and it will go away, it doesn't seem like he's either interested, or knows anything. You need a good dermatologist and someone who specializes in allergies and skin. This doesn't look like something to take lightly to me.

I'm also thinking along the lines of a reaction to the juice although reactions to metals are possible, it would seem interesting and somewhat odd to have that just suddenly appear

MikeyNY

Apr 18, 2015
it couldnt hurt I have the 50 and 30 istick as well and I have sleeves for both I only paid 5 bucks for mine on ebay and they fit great! I don't have an allergy but I wanted to protect my devices from scratches. If it is ending up on the opposite hand then I am not sure? Is it just the one or both and one is just worse than the other? I'm not a doctor, so I cant give you medical advice but I would try each aspect seperately and narrow it down to the possible culprit and then eliminate that or at least minimize it. I really do hope you figure it out. Despite my beginning raw mouth problem I really enjoy vaping and I feel much better for it so I hope the same will happen for you.
Thanks. My girlfriend told me that I should try an anti fungal cream and see if that works. It would be such a relief to find out it had nothing to do with vaping. I'll keep you guys posted. Again, thanks all for the input.

MikeyNY

Apr 18, 2015
Ok guys, here's the bitter-sweet result. After using an anti-fungal cream on my fingers for a few days, my fingers healed. I don't know if it's because of the cream or because of time.
So I'm glad the peeling stopped but I wish I knew for sure what caused it & what healed it. Also, I'm still vaping my iStick 30 & 50 watt devices but I'm more cautious as to avoid skin contact with the ejuice.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Peeling skin is a common reaction to a Nickel allergy. Brass is considered a Nickel alloy. Is your mech mod brass or perhaps nickel plated? Also, if your mech mod is brass or nickel plated and you're using a stainless steel, glass, ceramic, or plastic drip tip that would explain why your hands have been peeling but not your lips.

The specific condition is called Nickel Contact Dermatitis.

Nickel Contact Dermatitis Picture Image on MedicineNet.com

Here's an example of Nickel Contact Dermatitis via a wrist watch...

contact-1.jpg

But the symptoms you're having with it only being your hands that are affected, it sounds like an allergic reaction to nickel in your mech mod. If that's the case then you can simply switch to either a stainless steel mod or use regulated mods which aren't made of brass and you shouldn't have any other problems vaping. It's definitely not a reaction to the liquids or your lungs would be getting the worst of it.

And if this is a nickel allergy which looks very likely, I'll warn you now, stay away from temperature control mods that use Nichrome coils. If you're this sensitive to nickel through your hands you do not want to see what it does to your lungs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread