PART 6 -The Official MyVapeJuice Family Room (Crazy Chit Chat Thread - Live LAUGH Love and Vape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
My brother and I watch one tear up a neighborhood about 2 blocks away from the front window of our house when we were little kids then mom came along and made us go to the basement :laugh:

I much prefer them to be at a distance... but I'm not scared of them as much as have a great respect for them. The closest one I was in was just across the driveway from the house I was in with my brother and his first wife... I was told it was a 1/2 mile wide one but it'd only dropped down perhaps a mile from us ( if that )... I suspect it was only a 1/4 mile wide at the most at that time. The only thing I could see was the rain going sideways. After it had passed ( and we got out from under the couch )... we found where a satellite tornado went on the other side of the house. The next day, while going into town for supplies since we had a lot to clean up, we ended up having to jump a washed out double tin horn bridge about the length of two cars wide... the road was way too muddy to be able to stop by the time we'd seen it so it was go over it or crash into it.

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    The one I was talking about was in the early 60'S it tore up a bunch of St Louis we were lucky to be on the outside edge of it with brick buildings between us and it,I can still remember seeing roof's and other stuff go flying it was quite a sight to watch.

rdsok

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Norman, Ok
    The one I was talking about was in the early 60'S it tore up a bunch of St Louis we were lucky to be on the outside edge of it with brick buildings between us and it,I can still remember seeing roof's and other stuff go flying it was quite a sight to watch.

The other's I've seen were all at a distance where I couldn't see damage being thrown. The last one I was close too was 1-2 miles away and all I could see was the wall cloud portion since there were trees between me an where it was. The other one that same night ( the night my friends were meeting before my friends memorial ) was within a mile also but all I could see was the torrents of rain coming down at about 45° and had all of the bigger floods around here and almost couldn't get home from all of the water. We almost called off that meeting but thought it was over with after the first one passed by.

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    The one I watched happen in the afternoon or early evening with lots of daylight left guess that's why we could see it so well,I also saw a few while at sea but those are called water spouts ships just turn away from them but the are cool to watch :)

rdsok

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Norman, Ok
    keep safe both you guys, I know you've seen it all before, but this year, man...

I tell ya... this has been an active year. OBG is in the thick of it now it looks like... It's mostly clear here and I'm just reminiscing I guess.

Weather intrigues me and tornadoes are certainly exciting... but I keep up with what is happening and where. 95% of the time ( if not more ), I know of an active area of circulation well before the TV weathermen start to even talk about them because they are focused on the "big" one ( lately, that's usually been the plural ones ) that's happening. When a storm is in progress ( if I'm home ), I'll have a Nexrad radar screen running on my computer, a Velocity radar on my smartphone and the TV weatherman on the TV.

The last one I described in the last post... I saw it coming 15 minutes before it was due to arrive and I headed to work where I've got a basement to get into ( that's 10 minutes away ). Of course, if I don't have enough warning, there is always the inside closet to duck into...

rdsok

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Norman, Ok
    Something's missing here tonight. Oh yeah, I know, monkey humor. I'm missing my girl. Hope all is OK.

She mentioned needing to pick someone up from the airport... but I thought that was for tomorrow. If it's an early flight, AG may have went to bed early.

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Her AKC papers say she was born in MO.

She was a lucky fur baby she got you and cooler weather I think we just had a short blast of small hail BRB

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread