Official Squape R[eloaded] thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junny89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
UK
I use a wire cutter.. Grip the base with the cutter handle(plastic covered) and pull
Tried this many times but just end up hurting my self lol

Drippaboi thanks for that I'll do mine like that. However can you measure how far out the cotton goes from the base before you tuck it in to get a idea if mine is similar.

Thanks

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

drippaboi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2014
SF Bay Area
I can tell you it's pretty much 1/2 the length of a pad of KGD, which are ~80mm. I use a pair of flush wire cutters to cut the crease along the axis so the two pieces are as close to the same length as possible. All i trimmed on the other end was the point off that puffy part on the left side in pic #2

The other popular brand of Japanese cotton i think is Puffs? Those pads are shorter, denser, and thicker so I would use a much narrower strip if that's what you use - and I don't know if they're long enough to bend the wick like I did first, one might have to fork the wick manually after it's threaded. I've run out otherwise I'd post a pics to compare.

Junny89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
UK
I can tell you it's pretty much 1/2 the length of a pad of KGD, which are ~80mm. I use a pair of flush wire cutters to cut the crease along the axis so the two pieces are as close to the same length as possible. All i trimmed on the other end was the point off that puffy part on the left side in pic #2

The other popular brand of Japanese cotton i think is Puffs? Those pads are shorter, denser, and thicker so I would use a much narrower strip if that's what you use - and I don't know if they're long enough to bend the wick like I did first, one might have to fork the wick manually after it's threaded. I've run out otherwise I'd post a pics to compare.
Well i just rebuilt it using a longer coil to push the tails away. I don't know it kinda looks like a mish mash. Tell me what you think please:

35c8a7d410b2e7a2954095864549c6be.jpg
4d210c80b7bcf33be9da40a925197e6a.jpg
583b4baea799d59d43801c29796da2b0.jpg
78acc85bfa8c6e26e818cbae2643d9ed.jpg

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
Well was a very bad cotton taste so thought i did it too tight in the coil and too much wick so i redid it. I'm using a 2.5mm id already, do people do 3 in this??

On the W deck 3 mm always. B deck users need to chime in...

Reactions: showman

drippaboi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2014
SF Bay Area
Both B and W decks I use 7/64'' (~2.7mm)

Junny - I'll admit I occasionally overpack my coil just a tad which results in a long break in for the cotton - I've always preferred having a bit too much than a bit too little. Depending on how much I'm vaping that day break-in could last for several hours of my day. To get through it I hold the atty right-side up while firing the mod and blow gently through air inlet. Several 10sec rounds of that and the cotton gets broken in pretty well, this is also how I push flavors through the wick when I want to change them out but dont want to, or can't rewick right then. And it's fun to watch the plume of steam billowing from the chimney.

My suggestion would be to just slowly take away a little cotton each time you rewick until you find the sweet spot. From your last few rounds of pics I think how you're tucking into the deck looks good, so now its just a matter of getting the density in the coil how you like it.

Reactions: showman

Junny89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Well I've taken it out for the first time, so it's exciting times haha and so far it's going very well, chucked it around and no leaks touch wood. I think i found the solution, used a little less cotton than in the pics above as still was getting cotton tase, and now it's awesome! No cotton taste etc either! I'm going to try 3mm next time and see if it makes a diff.

Do you mean the air holes on the side? Just gently blow through there while firing?

Reactions: drippaboi

Junny89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
UK
^^^^^^^^

Yep. I set it wide open and blow through about as hard as I would if I were vaping it, let it go until it auto shuts off, wait a moment and repeat.

Gratz on the successful build!
Haha cool ill try that. Well don't want to jinx my self as been vaping it for a few hours now...all good! Excited to try the 3mm build...

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
19339299882_0364da9523_z.jpg

Still love using my SquapeR for particular juices, and I think suits this set-up quite well. :)
Not sure what to tell those that have leaking issues with the B deck, guess I've been lucky and had little issue with it!
3mm 4 wrap spaced 24g Ti, ends up around 0.15 on the XvoStick (my rDNA reads slightly higher, my TT lower, go figure).
These days I tend to use two 6mm wide strips of shiseido cotton side by side (outer layers peeled off) threaded through at the same time. I don't tend to do anything special, just trimmed to fit and making sure there is a little exposed "lip" on the air hole of the B deck.
I guess the large gauge helps. I can stuff cotton in without the coil budging at all, and it won't let the wick sag down.
I'll pull off the cap and take a pic of the B deck in a few.
Where you get that bell cap? About to pull the trigger on a squape and would love one.

Reactions: vakaion

dems86

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA, US
Where you get that bell cap? About to pull the trigger on a squape and would love one.
VapeRev has them...I got mine from Cloud9, and InTaste also has them I believe. VapinArt would be another place that might have time too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: vakaion

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
VapeRev has them...I got mine from Cloud9, and InTaste also has them I believe. VapinArt would be another place that might have time too.

Nice. I may go cloud 9 because I want the b deck and they give you deck options with the squape so I wouldn't have to buy it separately. Of course that means I won't have a w deck. How's the quality of the caps? Do they crack easily?

dems86

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA, US
Nice. I may go cloud 9 because I want the b deck and they give you deck options with the squape so I wouldn't have to buy it separately. Of course that means I won't have a w deck. How's the quality of the caps? Do they crack easily?
Been using my bell cap almost daily for over a couple months without issue

vakaion

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
Australia
@dems86 summed it up nicely for ya @SavePaperVapor
As long as you don't use tank-cracker juices the bell cap should last a long time. Nice tight fit too.
They're frosted as stock, but come clear with metal polish and cloth (or to save time a dremel works as long as you're gentle). There are youtube vids around on that.
Bought mine from Cloud 9 along with a B deck, and have no complaints. :)

Reactions: dems86

nevillebartos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Vic, Aus
Tried this many times but just end up hurting my self lol

Posted this somewhere earlier in this thread, not my video but looks like an excellent method for stuck deck removal

Unrelated - little off color today and ended up going down from to 8 wraps ni200 from my usual 10 out of frustration. Results were magnificent. My only explanation is it's due to being able to keep the coil more directly positioned over the air intake, although I didn't expect the air path to be that direct. With 10 wraps I'd always wind up :lol: with coil off to the sides. I'll try tightening up the spacing when I'm in a better mood and see if there's even further gains. Running 65 / 35 @ 30W, stable 420f. 0.15 ohms though.

Reactions: drippaboi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread