Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
We could help you better if you posted pics of your own stuff.

upload_2015-7-28_19-27-49.png

Reactions: SlickWilly

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Hey Mike, would you mind including repl. screens for fumblers like me :)
Seems to be a common problem with the DNA200's. I lucked out because I had 2 and one had a resistor that was knocked off. John sent me a new DNA200 with screen. I just dropped off the old one at UPS this morning.

My Zephyrus Came today :) Rocking a dual coils TI build @ .14
I made a csv file for the Ti here :) TCR | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
This dna 200 with the 1300 Gens Ace has great battery life :)
Now if I could only make a custom screen file that says Steamer I'd be all set :)

Steamer_zpsrawd9gmo.jpg

Font : Forte MT Bold

Can you guys post some pics of your solder connections? I'm having a hard time getting anything to stick that doesn't look like ....
Flux is your friend. I use Kester 951 no-clean liquid flux.
Resistor_zpsgmb7rdr6.jpg

bilboda

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Miami, FL
You could try jumper wires in the right configuration if you can't get that balance connector off. I've done that with an spdif connection to a motherboard. The end with the female connection could have wire jammed in tight or use pins soldered on. The other end would benefit from some connectors scavenged from a small pc fan connection or similar soldered to the bare wire and connected to the male part of the balance connector. Heat shrink everything.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I didn't take anysorry, flux is your friend, just don't do it like this

Ha! I didn't even see this the first time around.

Good Advice :)
I'v used a solder sucker many times they Work! :)
I use one like this :)
I used one of those many, many moons ago. The newer ones like in the pic I posted are easier to use. I know a lot of guys like using wicks too.

Squonk_me

cut and paste has its consequences
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2015
Dry and windy
Well this has been a typical Monday,,, for a Tuesday. :eek:

Got signed in at Sculpteo. Tracked my order to,,,, Canceled! Waiting on a reply as to why. I know the CC charge went thru but,, why the canceled order? :?:

Moving on,, I was going to go ahead and order up the Hyperion battery and get it on its way to me,,, they are now on backorder! Like I said,,, typical Monday,,,,, on Tuesday. :mad:

and my quest continues,,,,,,:pop:

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
To get the connector off the board, use a solder sucker.

sh817b.jpg

I bought one of these just last week, the main tube is aluminum but the upper is plastic. Of course I had to take it apart to see how it works, I found the plunger inside slams plastic to plastic when you hit the button. Fearing it would break after a while I popped the plunger off the stem (pulls off hard but does come off, on mine anyways) and put two o-rings on it so it hits those and acts as a cushion.

I had found this website some time ago when I was replacing the screen and docking port in my grand daughter's ipod, I was looking for a way to desolder the docking port, I had forgotten about it until now. This guy sells some nice products, one is a desoldering alloy that looks very cool, made for removing surface mounted chips but will work for other jobs as well. --> 1x QuickAlloy SMT1-L Desoldering Alloy, 16.5 cm long each | CyberDocLLC | iPhone and Apple Products Hardware Repair Solutions It looks like solder, you flux the area, cut off and melt a small piece of the alloy, heat and melt it then and move it around the pins with the soldering iron and it sucks all the solder up and absorbs it into the alloy, the alloy does not stick to the pins or components.

He also has some flux that has micro beads of solder mixed in, just dab on the connection and heat. He has videos on the product pages, worth checking out.

I found a local shop that repairs audio and electronic equipment, he removed the broken docking port and soldered the new one on the main board of the ipod for $20, that was with me taking the board out of the ipod. For that price it wasn't worth me buying equipment and supplies to attempt it myself and I probably would have failed because the pins are very tiny and I've never worked on anything that small. And he gave us a 30 day warranty to boot.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Well this has been a typical Monday,,, for a Tuesday. :eek:

Got signed in at Sculpteo. Tracked my order to,,,, Canceled! Waiting on a reply as to why. I know the CC charge went thru but,, why the canceled order? :?:

Moving on,, I was going to go ahead and order up the Hyperion battery and get it on its way to me,,, they are now on backorder! Like I said,,, typical Monday,,,,, on Tuesday. :mad:

and my quest continues,,,,,,:pop:

The same thing happened to me a Scupltoe
Did You choose the one piece print Option?
With my order I choose the one piece print cause it was cheeper but they cancelled my order and I had to order the 2 piece print

Last edited:

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Ha! I didn't even see this the first time around.

I used one of those many, many moons ago. The newer ones like in the pic I posted are easier to use. I know a lot of guys like using wicks too.

I will have to try the newer style Solder Sucker. Mine works excellent for desoldering chips from boards.
I use the wick to, more for cleaning up or surface mount stuff I find it's not the best for desoldering chip were the legs go through the board

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
The old school bodger way is bridge all the pins with a big blob solder and while it is wet give the board a hard flick over a newspaper or workshop floor and if you are lucky it all comes off. Last resort, use a solder sucker or other methods above first.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I agree with vaping bad. Or another old school way if you don't have a desoldering tool, heat up the pins and rock the connector (gently -- don't pull out the vias) each in turn until it finally comes out. Reinstall the right way round is a similar process.

Squonk_me

cut and paste has its consequences
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2015
Dry and windy
The same thing happened to me a Scupltoe
Did You choose the one piece print Option?
With my order I choose the one piece print cause it was cheaper but they cancelled my order and I had to order the 2 piece print

I didn't see anything about 1 piece or 2,, but did go with the polished add-on and economy printing. I got an email telling me that "my" design, could be fixed by them and then printed,, and something about it appearing on their 3d printing webinar. I still have no clue as to why it was canceled. Not sure if I should try and order it again or just try at Shapeways instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread