unregulated box mod Qs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapinglo

Jul 19, 2015
First off I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but I was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some good reading material on unregulated box's I'm interested in getting into them and I've read pretty much everything I could find but I haven't been able to find much endepth info on safety mostly they just say you need to know ohms law and battery/build safety and of course have a mosfet mainly what i would like to know is if they need to be metered out periodically to check for continuity and enternal shorts like mechs or if this is simply a non issue with them anyway sorry for the long post I'm just trying to learn all I can before I make that plunge

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
mainly what i would like to know is if they need to be metered out periodically to check for continuity and enternal shorts like mechs or if this is simply a non issue with them anyway sorry for the long post I'm just trying to learn all I can before I make that plunge

I don't understand why you would feel the need to "meter out" a mechanical tube mod unless you damaged it. It won't magically develop an "eternal short" ( did you mean internal?)
Tube mods are flashlights with a 510 instead of a bulb.

Box mods only require a MOSFET when the switch cannot handle the load.
I have 5 box mods, 4 are dual 18650.
None have MOSFETs, all have fully mechanical switches just like a tube mod.

Box mods are not all made the same.
Understanding the specific design of the mod you are using/buying is very important in order to operate safely.

Which box mod are you looking at?

Reactions: rangerrobin

vapinglo

Jul 19, 2015
Yes I meant internal I've read that it is important to check for that type of short on mechs periodically and i was unsure if it was necessary to do that sort of thing on the mosfet/Hammond style box's as well as for the the box I'm looking at I like what I've been reading on the BC box mods there parallel box's to be exact I'm not to interested in series box's atm

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Yes I meant internal I've read that it is important to check for that type of short on mechs periodically and i was unsure if it was necessary to do that sort of thing on the mosfet/Hammond style box's as well as for the the box I'm looking at I like what I've been reading on the BC box mods there parallel box's to be exact I'm not to interested in series box's atm

well one thing to be carefull about parallel battery box mods is if you put in the batteries the wrong way (like on a Friday night) you get some excitement in your life.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Yeah vented batteries definitely don't make for a good time

Battery venting isn't the only or even real issue with. installing batteries in series in a parallel box. yeah in series your amp levels are reduced. The real issue is the doubled or tripled VOLTS.

Box mods come both ways and in combination.. Some Box mods can be run either parallel or in series..... which to use depends on the coil you are vaping.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Yeah I've seen some videos of series builds they can really get crazy especially with the triple series but i was looking more towards the parallel box's simply for the slightly elevated safety margin as far as the amps goes plus being a chain vaper the extra battery life would be nice
If you compare two battery Series and Parallel both pull the same amperage from the batteries, Series just does it at higher voltage. Series doesn't split the amperage between both batteries, however because it runs at double voltage you're only required to pull half the amps of a parallel setup for the same end wattage.

Parallel batteries 4.2v with 20A load = 84 watts (10A per battery, 4.2v)
Series batteries 8.4v with 10A load = 84 watts (10A per battery, 8.4v)

The difference is that the Parallel setup would need a 0.21 ohm coil to get that 84 watts or 10A per battery, while the Series setup would need a 0.84 ohm coil to get 84 watts or 10A per battery because of the increased voltage. Unregulated series boxes aren't used nearly as much as parallel because they do have a slightly increased risk involved with the higher voltage and I've personally never used one as I don't build high enough to bother with Series boxes. Though I own four Parallel mechanical unregulated boxes, Three dual battery and one Triple battery which I use quite a lot and really like.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Battery venting isn't the only or even real issue with. installing batteries in series in a parallel box. yeah in series your amp levels are reduced. The real issue is the doubled or tripled VOLTS.

Box mods come both ways and in combination.. Some Box mods can be run either parallel or in series..... which to use depends on the coil you are vaping.

I have not seen any example of any box mod that comes with the option to run your batteries in parallel or series, so if you have an example please post a link.

:pop:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
BC box mods dual 18650 switch box.
Parallel or series in same box
:)

Dual 26650 Box Mods & More - Lifetime Warranty | Dual 18650 Switch Box Mod

How's that popcorn?
I'm hungry.
:)

popcorn wast eyepoping till i read the fine print

***ATTENTION***
Our boxes are made upon payment. These are custom hand made boxes, and are built soon as your payment is processed. Please allow for up to 9 business days for completion. Time of completion can sometimes be a bit longer than the stated amount if there is a rush of orders. We strive to ship out as soon as possible, and have some of the fastest turn around times in the industry.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
popcorn wast eyepoping till i read the fine print

Huh, a small business who is honest about the expected lead-time for manufacturing...... I'll bet, that on occassion they deliver early.... Even if not stated in the fine print.
Or is it the "made to order" part of the statement that bothers you.

All in all seems a pretty normal and benign statement to me.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Huh, a small business who is honest about the expected lead-time for manufacturing...... I'll bet, that on occassion they deliver early.... Even if not stated in the fine print.
Or is it the "made to order" part of the statement that bothers you.

All in all seems a pretty normal and benign statement to me.

Yes it was the custom built made to order thing.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Yes it was the custom built made to order thing.

Like most modders, they are a small business, and don't build a lot of extra stock. Keeps overhead low.
They build to order. If business picks up, I'm sure they will keep a stock of units.
They build their standard model boxes.
The switch box is one of their models.
It will allow you to run batteries in series or parallel.
They are reputable, and legit.

;)

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
I ordered 2 mini's from bc boxmods last week, one parallel & one series. I was going to just get the switch mod they have, but I like a smaller form factor. With the sale they have going on right now, it was only an extra $40 to get one of each instead of the bigger switch mod. Haven't heard from them yet, but I'm not concerned about how long it takes.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
I got a cnc milled hammond g replacement today, parallel, mosfet, voltmeter etc. Vapes fantastic. Love it, I may not ever buy another regulated box. I like the idea of my batteries and my build determining my vape, me being in charge of my own safety, and less to fail. I also think the G is a good size, in fact now that I have one I don't think I'd mind a B at all. I have big hands. I may have to get a triple parellel B box next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread