Not open for further replies.

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
So I made an online purchase today:

5meters 30g Kanthal, 24g Ni200, Clapton Wire

It was less than $10 USD for I pulled the trigger.

Now can someone tell me what I'm going to do with it?

How do. You work out the resistance of Clapton wire?

I assumed the Kanthal is not carrying the current, so just get SteamEngine to give resistance of 24g Ni200.

Put this in and discovered I'd Need 303 wraps with 3mm ID for a 1.8ohm coil :w00t:

Joking aside, even in TC mode, 0.2 ohms is 33 wraps :|

Help and advice needed :)

Last edited:

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Kanthal has a higher ohms per inch rating than Ni200...
30 ga Kanthal is running at about .7 ohms per inch
I dont mess with Ni200 as of yet... so I dont know what the ohms per inch rating is... eventually I will find out when the time comes...
It's Clapton wire.. They go together.

To the OP. That wire is for TC mode only.

You are correct the kanthal will carry almost no current so you can safely assume the numbers using the Ni200 numbers -5% for a TC build.

Hope you have a TC mod and a good ohm meter.

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
It's Clapton wire.. They go together.

To the OP. That wire is for TC mode only.

You are correct the kanthal will carry almost no current so you can safely assume the numbers using the Ni200 numbers -5% for a TC build.

Hope you have a TC mod and a good ohm meter.

Thanks @Boden

That's what I figured.

I've got several ohms meters, and a DNA40.

I've done a couple of single coil TC builds using 30g Ni200, but don't understand what I can use this clapton wire for?

How low can you safely build a DNA40, I'd always tried to keep it above 0.2 ohms.

But even if I somehow squeezed 33 wraps
At 0.2 ohms into the atty, my 40w would never heat it.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Thanks @Boden

That's what I figured.

I've got several ohms meters, and a DNA40.

I've done a couple of single coil TC builds using 30g Ni200, but don't understand what I can use this clapton wire for?

How low can you safely build a DNA40, I'd always tried to keep it above 0.2 ohms.

But even if I somehow squeezed 33 wraps
At 0.2 ohms into the atty, my 40w would never heat it.
I don't know about the DNA40.

In this case the kanthal is just acting as a heat-sinc. I'm not sure what it's for.

Maybe make some jewelry ? :blink:

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
Then your mod won't fire it. Living is pretty easy these days. I just made up a statistic that for every vaper worried about ohm's 10 people are killed by drivers texting.

I don't know about you personally but I see many here super scared of low ohm TC builds and seeing massive cloudz and so forth. I'm sitting here vaping on a Derringer with dual .12Ω coils with only one air hole open (on each side) getting a very mild tasty vape.

The kanthal build I'm also vaping on is .15Ω. And also a mega high .7Ω on a Orchid for some old school high ohm stuff.

Life is dangerous. You may not make it through today. But if you don't I bet 1 brazillion innernet bucks it won't be because of vaping.

Reactions: Thrasher

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Thanks @Boden

That's very useful, and clearly say the DNA40 can be built down to 0.1, but that still needs 16wraps or 33wraps for a dual coil?

I calculate for a single 18 wrap 3mm ID 0.11ohm at 40W you would have a heat flux ~60mW/mm^2 because of the diameter increase caused by the kanthal.

Dual coil heat flux would be silly low.

Reactions: Caterpiller

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
I calculate for a single 18 wrap 3mm ID 0.11ohm at 40W you would have a heat flux ~60mW/mm^2 because of the diameter increase caused by the kanthal.

Dual coil heat flux would be silly low.

Yes that's how I'm reading it. I don't even want to try building an 18wrap coil.

I suspect I got this wire cheap due to lack of demand for this resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread