New wire arrived... but what to do with it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farrowla

Mar 14, 2018
Hi guys,

So I’ve mastered my Kanthal 24ga dual coil builds (0.4ohm) and ordered some wire randomly online to experiment...

Any advice on wraps and internal diameter to get the best flavor out of these bad boys in my rda would be much appreciated. If it makes any difference I’m using a Revenger X regulated mod...

One is SS flat Clapton (26*18+32)
One is kanthal flat Clapton (26*18+32)
One is kanthal Clapton (26+32)

Thanks!

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi guys,

So I’ve mastered my Kanthal 24ga dual coil builds (0.4ohm) and ordered some wire randomly online to experiment...

Any advice on wraps and internal diameter to get the best flavor out of these bad boys in my rda would be much appreciated. If it makes any difference I’m using a Revenger X regulated mod...

One is SS flat Clapton (26*18+32)
One is kanthal flat Clapton (26*18+32)
One is kanthal Clapton (26+32)

Thanks!
Hi,
What RDA are you building on?

Cheers
I

• Agree

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I only use SS since you can burn it to clean it and I use RTA. I make Claptons in a dual coil setup, total resistance .4 ohms. I have some flat SS but still haven't decided how to use it, the flat gives you area but how to wind it. I use 3 mm and 2.5 mm wrap, I can go between the two sized to get the right resistance.

Farrowla

Mar 14, 2018
I only use SS since you can burn it to clean it and I use RTA. I make Claptons in a dual coil setup, total resistance .4 ohms. I have some flat SS but still haven't decided how to use it, the flat gives you area but how to wind it. I use 3 mm and 2.5 mm wrap, I can go between the two sized to get the right resistance.

Thanks Carl,

I’ve had some good success with the regular kanthal Clapton. Two six wraps at 3mm and it’s working great at 0.5ohms. Really good flavor at 35 watts.

I experimented with the flat Clapton (kanthal) with five wraps at 3mm. It was firing at about 0.2 ohms, which is too low for me. Poor flavor and too hot - I gave up when I reached 65 Watts.

I’m guessing the flat Claptons are better for those who prefer much lower resistance?? I guess I could increase the wraps but it’s going to be a big build and not sure if it’s worth it.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I experimented with the flat Clapton (kanthal) with five wraps at 3mm. It was firing at about 0.2 ohms, which is too low for me. Poor flavor and too hot - I gave up when I reached 65 Watts.
was that a dual coil build? try it as a single coil in the DR instead so you end up with a 0.4 ohm build? I have 2 x DR 24mm clones and I build them with single coils. I also build my Athena and Pulse 24 RDA's (which have similar 'post-less' decks) with single coil builds since I am only using single battery squonks (mech and regulated) currently.

Farrowla

Mar 14, 2018
was that a dual coil build? try it as a single coil in the DR instead so you end up with a 0.4 ohm build? I have 2 x DR 24mm clones and I build them with single coils. I also build my Athena and Pulse 24 RDA's (which have similar 'post-less' decks) with single coil builds since I am only using single battery squonks (mech and regulated) currently.

Hi Fozzy. Yes - dual coil. Thanks for the advice. I’ll have a go with a single coil and see how it comes out.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi Fozzy. Yes - dual coil. Thanks for the advice. I’ll have a go with a single coil and see how it comes out.
I’m quite fond of large diameter single coils myself. They don’t need to be balanced like dual coils so they’re easier to wrap, and the flavor tends to be as good as dual with slightly less juice use

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I’m quite fond of large diameter single coils myself. They don’t need to be balanced like dual coils so they’re easier to wrap, and the flavor tends to be as good as dual with slightly less juice use
yep. I was a die hard dual coil vaper until I started squonking and now I wonder why I never tried single coils sooner. I get better battery life and as good or better flavor. My clouds are likely a bit less dense (I can't really tell) but I am not trying to impress anyone with my clouds, just trying to stay off the analogs so I don't die.

Farrowla

Mar 14, 2018
I’ve been using a single coil twisted 22+28 gauge ss 316l 3.5mmID 7or8 wrap at .33ohm in my RTA. Vaping in tc mode at 40watts and 390F wicked with rayon of course. Simply delightful and delicious.

Thanks madstabber...

I’ve noticed a drop off in flavour in the Claptons on my Dead Rabbit in the past couple of days and am now back on the regular kanthal 24ga in the Bonza... is this normal? Maybe I need to tweak my setup.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Thanks madstabber...

I’ve noticed a drop off in flavour in the Claptons on my Dead Rabbit in the past couple of days and am now back on the regular kanthal 24ga in the Bonza... is this normal? Maybe I need to tweak my setup.
A drop off in flavor could be due to the need for a rewick. Or the coil is gunked up and needs to be cleaned/dry burned which you would do with a rewick anyway so you could kill 2 birds there. Also could be vapor tongue, that’s where you just can’t taste your juice as good as before. Lots of folks have discussed this issue but I don’t think there is a definitive solution to it. You just need to cleanse the palate with a neutral juice maybe? Honestly I don’t know about that one. Basically if I get a flavor drop I just rewick and coil. Good luck, I hope this was helpful.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I twisted 2 strands of 22ga kanthal and did 5 wraps on a coil master #30 spindle. Not sure of the exact diameter but its kinda big. Used it as a single in my dead rabbit. It rings in at .26 ohms and i hit it with 75-80w. It ramps up pretty quick and i get good cloud and flavor. The vapor isnt very warm to me with the dual airflow on a single coil. The rabbit does have a single airflow as well but i use the dual because the coil is kinda big. Keeps it cooler but doesnt hamper ramp up at all. Im finding the dead rabbit to be extremely versatile and fun to work with. I do change the wick fairly regularly, especially when i get a flavor drop or a nasty taste. Nothin like fresh cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread