I'm confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA
So I've been reading about ohm's law etc in preparing to build my own attys. I'm punching familiar numbers in the calculator to get a feel for what things are supposed to look like. So I've entered the resistance marked on my existing atty 1.8 and I entered the voltage that I was vaping at 6.5. The calculator is telling me that's 23 watts. My device says its max wattage output is 20. Am I correct in deducing that must mean that my coil's resistance is higher than marked?

*~*moonlitwish*~*

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA
Did you measure the resistance of the coil as well?
The only measuring devices I have are tape measures right now, so sadly, no I can't play that deep.
as zanderist said that would be my guess,what device are using ? an ohm meter would answer if your coils a marked wrong .
Using MVP 20w and Aerotank 2 with 1.8ohm coil.

*~*moonlitwish*~*

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA
Hold both buttons down at the same time on your MVP and it will display coil resistance and then the battery charge.
1.9 ohms. At least they're saying the same thing. So what am I missing? Is the display just letting me set the number higher for giggles? MVP won't actually run 6.5v on this coil?

*~*moonlitwish*~*

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
1.9 ohms. At least they're saying the same thing. So what am I missing? Is the display just letting me set the number higher for giggles? MVP won't actually run 6.5v on this coil?

*~*moonlitwish*~*
I can't answer your question. I just keep inching my voltage up until my liquid starts tasting off then turn it down a notch. I have my favorite DIY liquid in a bottom coil topper. It is reading 1.9ohms and I am enjoying it at 4volts. I went to 4.1 and it was to much.

I personally don't stress myself over what charts tell me it should be. I just go by how it tastes to me.

Reactions: stevegmu

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA
most cars ( many yrs ago) has speedometers that went to 140-160 mph.... but most of them never were able to get to the highest value on the meter even tho the HP rating on the engine said it could :)
So are you saying the mod is putting out the 21.3watts even though it says it can't or that it is throttling down the voltage to stay within the 20w even though I am telling it to use 6.5?

*~*moonlitwish*~*

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA
I can't answer your question. I just keep inching my voltage up until my liquid starts tasting off then turn it down a notch. I have my favorite DIY liquid in a bottom coil topper. It is reading 1.9ohms and I am enjoying it at 4volts. I went to 4.1 and it was to much.
This is what I've been doing as well. Which is fine until you want to learn how it actually works. That's proving to require a bit more brain power than I'm used to having to operate on.

*~*moonlitwish*~*

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
The rating is probably not an ABSOLUTE number.. It could be that the 25watt limit is Based on an average.. Typically the mod has a min and max VOLTAGE output at a certain Number of AMPs.. Most regulated mods can fire coils, in a wider range than they can regulate at max output volts or amps. Say you have a 15watt mod that says it can fire from 1ohm to infinity. This mod has max voltage of 6v and amp limit of 3.5. IT will only give the full 15watts a in a range from 1.6ohms to 2.4ohm. Specs are for Evolve Kick 2.

Reactions: Baditude

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
My guess is your mod is only outputting 20W despite your asking it for more because it can't. This is essentially true for all mods. Whether its voltage or amp ratings they all have restrictions that prevent them from going above those.

I can put a 1.5 ohm coiled atty on my Sigelei 100W and set it for 100W, but that won't be what it actually gives me. It will only fire the maximum it can for that resistance despite what I asked it for.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Some mod microprocessors are more accurate/precise than others. Some will tell you they are putting out more power on their display than they actually are, within a prescribed safety limit coded into the processor.

For a layman's understanding of Ohm's Law, read this: Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers

This coil building guide will explain how to make a coil. Just plug in all requested information, and it will tell you how many wraps to use and also display what the coil will look like. Toy Coil Calculator

Ohm's Law Calculators explained

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Some mod microprocessors are more accurate/precise than others. Some will tell you they are putting out more power on their display than they actually are, within a prescribed safety limit coded into the processor.

For a layman's understanding of Ohm's Law, read this: Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers

This coil building guide will explain how to make a coil. Just plug in all requested information, and it will tell you how many wraps to use and also display what the coil will look like. Toy Coil Calculator

Ohm's Law Calculators explained

Thanks. That Toy Coil Calculator is much better than that steam one.

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread