• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

velocity rda clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epic_Sinner

SG Mod
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wonderland
Twisted with 2 of wat gauge would u suggest? After which then do dual on wat diameter? Cos seems like velocity not single coil friendly.[emoji13]

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

If you twist, I suggest either 26g with 32g. You can even do triple twisted. 26g with 2 of the 32g. Diameter 2.5mm or 3mm, since there is so much space on the deck. You wanna have adequate amount of cotton on your coil to give you huge flavor and vapor in one drag.

I've even tried Clapton coils on her and I'm still very very underwhelmed...
I think this is just another case of the hype machine at work, blowing a device's ability waaay out of proportion.

It is the build. If you are not patient and do not do your build well, I present you the world best or most perfect tank or device, it will still be f**ked up. Watch, learn from reviews and do it patiently. Speed doesn't get you anywhere. Hell, I can even make a normal dual microcoil, 7 wraps each, 0.43ohms, set it at 35w, and can outdo any kind of build with flavor and vapor balanced. When I get my hands on the velocity, it's gonna be one hell of a cloudy flavory experience.

As for my builds on RDAs, I always go for parallel dual coils at about 4-5 wraps each, 2.5mm giving about 0.2-0.3 ohms. Whack it at 50w-60w and I won't even dig RTAs or RBAs anymore. Trust me. The intense flavor and vapor is is crazy.

Reactions: WarA

taps41

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Singapore
If you twist, I suggest either 26g with 32g. You can even do triple twisted. 26g with 2 of the 32g. Diameter 2.5mm or 3mm, since there is so much space on the deck. You wanna have adequate amount of cotton on your coil to give you huge flavor and vapor in one

Sure gonna try this soon. Thank u for e tip. Yet to get a drill to do twisted wires.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
i'm not too sure about top airflow being good for flavour as physics impression of top air flow will introduce more air within the unit causing flavour to dilute rather than bottom airflow going up and around the coils. So far have yet to encounter leaking other than spitting from coil, I believe that flavour has a lot to do with the height as well with factors of surface area (i fit 10-12 26/28ga 2.5/3mm wraps on the velocity). As of now purely on flavour wise my shorter dark horse mini takes the cake, however velocity on account of other factors win the overall (i'll have to try more RDA to really critique some of this)

Also flavour is subjective to personal preference as well with lots of external factors in the mix, unless testing in a controlled environment its difficult to determine which RDA performs better.
Since it sounds like you've yet to even try vaping a top airflow device I don't think your comment are really valid. Try vaping on th sapor or vector and then tell me they don't generate superior flavor with exceptional cloud production...
Oh, and if surface area is what you're saying th velocity needs to shine, I've built several Clapton coils on her with even less impressive results. So far, the best I've gotten her to perform was with a basic 24 ga dual coil, 7 wraps with a 3 mm id, came out to about a .34-.35 ohm build....but even that was still performing nowhere near as good as either my sapor or vector.

WarA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2015
Since it sounds like you've yet to even try vaping a top airflow device I don't think your comment are really valid. Try vaping on th sapor or vector and then tell me they don't generate superior flavor with exceptional cloud production...
Oh, and if surface area is what you're saying th velocity needs to shine, I've built several Clapton coils on her with even less impressive results. So far, the best I've gotten her to perform was with a basic 24 ga dual coil, 7 wraps with a 3 mm id, came out to about a .34-.35 ohm build....but even that was still performing nowhere near as good as either my sapor or vector.

Seeing how the Sapor is built I suppose you're right as it is not a straight through top airflow rather a top down, hence inducing an negative internal airflow that goes from top airflow holes to bottom deck then back up preferably around the coil. Will definitely grab this if/when I have a chance.

However my velocity is usually build above the direct air flow(smile of the face) with the top holes closed off it gives a satisfactory air flow direction I suppose

Reactions: sahsah

UCChris

Feb 15, 2015
Utah
I have one. I freaking love it. I happen to be running it with a single 26 gauge coil right now. It chucks clouds, even with just one coil. Flavor is pretty damn good. My IGO-L has better flavor, but it also has a tiny chamber compared to the Velocity. I do manual labor, so it is way nice to be able to screw down the airflow cap to keep any leaking at bay when I'm not using it.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
Seeing how the Sapor is built I suppose you're right as it is not a straight through top airflow rather a top down, hence inducing an negative internal airflow that goes from top airflow holes to bottom deck then back up preferably around the coil. Will definitely grab this if/when I have a chance.

However my velocity is usually build above the direct air flow(smile of the face) with the top holes closed off it gives a satisfactory air flow direction I suppose
Really? How far above it? Do you have a picture? I'll show you my claptons on my velocity if you show me yours lol
But seriously let me see your build...

Ps trust me you're going to be ....ing smiling from ear to ear once you get the sapor. It's just soooo great like I'm tearing up just talking about it

WarA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2015
Really? How far above it? Do you have a picture? I'll show you my claptons on my velocity if you show me yours lol
But seriously let me see your build...

Ps trust me you're going to be ....ing smiling from ear to ear once you get the sapor. It's just soooo great like I'm tearing up just talking about it

5 hits per drip, normal? | Page 3 | E-Cigarette Forum

its above the slotted airholes from the sides, will be rebuilding with claptons soon (been using tank more than dripper lately). Also nickel is quite dull on flavours in the beginning until it reaches the temp protection (not really ideal for RDA, pretty good for testing diy without changing cotton)

oh yea I will seeing how the airflow on sapor is directed from top down will definitely grab one of those when there's a chance(initial thoughts of the sapor airflow was like the hole airflow on velocity/little boy where its not directed downwards, wonder if there's a term for it)

WarA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2015
9f0a365a041629a483d0ae5fba72457d.jpg

Pre dry fire, seems like the extra thickness of claptop causes the upper portion of the slotted airhole to be direct airflow as compared to usual 26gauge kanthal 3mm ID not too sure if it matters but will probably adjust airflow holes to be lower than coil

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013

its above the slotted airholes from the sides, will be rebuilding with claptons soon (been using tank more than dripper lately). Also nickel is quite dull on flavours in the beginning until it reaches the temp protection (not really ideal for RDA, pretty good for testing diy without changing cotton)

oh yea I will seeing how the airflow on sapor is directed from top down will definitely grab one of those when there's a chance(initial thoughts of the sapor airflow was like the hole airflow on velocity/little boy where its not directed downwards, wonder if there's a term for it)
I'm still not getting why you'd build your coils above the airflow slots, don't you want the airflow to hit your coils directly, that way you will be getting the best vapor and flavor production...? I've never heard of anyone building their coils away from where the airflow is entering the device, that just goes against everything I've learned while vaping, and this October it will be four years since I started vaping/had my last cigarette. Please, I'd really appreciate it if you could explain your reasoning behind setting up your device this way.

I believe it's called indirect airflow lol, which if I'm not mistaken, was first employed in a device by the good folks at aethertech, in the plume veil rda (wtf happened to them? They made like a stupidly popular device and then the orchid also crazy popular and then they just disappeared, so terribly strange...)

Yea, I have been just horribly disappointed with temperature control in general, albeit I have not tried a kanthal nickel twisted coil, which I've heard good things about from several people. Im reluctant to work with ni200 at all though, since grimmgreen has mentioned in his last two vlog videos that he has found that ni200 isn't safe to Vape with in temp control...he didn't elaborate, which I found incredibly frustrating, but hopefully he will explain why this week. I've also never tried using titanium wire, which I've heard and read produces a much warme, more flavorful, and over all more kanthal-like Vape.

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013

Hey, so I checked out the link and the photo you posted here, but the angle makes it difficult to gauge the actual placement, like the height relative to the device, you know? Do you have a picture just like from the side, like level with the device? Sorry, not trying to be a nuisance, just really trying to understand why you'd set it up the way you described, if I'm understanding you correctly...
Thanks bro

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
9f0a365a041629a483d0ae5fba72457d.jpg

Pre dry fire, seems like the extra thickness of claptop causes the upper portion of the slotted airhole to be direct airflow as compared to usual 26gauge kanthal 3mm ID not too sure if it matters but will probably adjust airflow holes to be lower than coil
So, I'm pretty sure now that there's no miscommunication going on, so why in the world do you NOT want the airflow to directly hit your coils? That's like exactly what you should want, but it seems like that's what you're actively trying to avoid with your builds, smh...
I'm so confused lmao

WarA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2015
I'm still not getting why you'd build your coils above the airflow slots, don't you want the airflow to hit your coils directly, that way you will be getting the best vapor and flavor production...? I've never heard of anyone building their coils away from where the airflow is entering the device, that just goes against everything I've learned while vaping, and this October it will be four years since I started vaping/had my last cigarette. Please, I'd really appreciate it if you could explain your reasoning behind setting up your device this way.

I believe it's called indirect airflow lol, which if I'm not mistaken, was first employed in a device by the good folks at aethertech, in the plume veil rda (... happened to them? They made like a stupidly popular device and then the orchid also crazy popular and then they just disappeared, so terribly strange...)

Yea, I have been just horribly disappointed with temperature control in general, albeit I have not tried a kanthal nickel twisted coil, which I've heard good things about from several people. Im reluctant to work with ni200 at all though, since grimmgreen has mentioned in his last two vlog videos that he has found that ni200 isn't safe to Vape with in temp control...he didn't elaborate, which I found incredibly frustrating, but hopefully he will explain why this week. I've also never tried using titanium wire, which I've heard and read produces a much warme, more flavorful, and over all more kanthal-like Vape.

By placing the coil above the airflow it has the room to fulfil as a bottom airflow albeit being from the sides, this helps improve the flavour a little also. I have found that placing it directly facing the air hole somehow diminishes the flavour in the case of my clapton coils. (Further testing needs to be done on this). On side note I'm still waiting for sapor to arrive :( after knowing its a top down vacuum model its definitely a flavour chaser tank.

Any "indirect" airflow tends to mute flavour as with the top airflow holes on the velocity, hence my assumption is that bottom airflow will almost dictate the flavour aspect of the design.

Also as to nickel, its best left to tank and on the go vaping. Flavour isn't pronounced at all on those things, I'd try building on my titanium when I can to see the difference if there's any.

Hey, so I checked out the link and the photo you posted here, but the angle makes it difficult to gauge the actual placement, like the height relative to the device, you know? Do you have a picture just like from the side, like level with the device? Sorry, not trying to be a nuisance, just really trying to understand why you'd set it up the way you described, if I'm understanding you correctly...
Thanks bro
I understand what you meant I'll try to grab a photo when I rebuild.

So, I'm pretty sure now that there's no miscommunication going on, so why in the world do you NOT want the airflow to directly hit your coils? That's like exactly what you should want, but it seems like that's what you're actively trying to avoid with your builds, smh...
I'm so confused lmao

As mentioned above, the purpose of not hitting it direct is due to the bottom airflow holes being too huge to purposefully fill the vape/air ratio (any extra airflow would definitely mute the flavours as well). I have tried full on side but it seems there's too much air flow going on muting the flavours a whole chunk hence the way I build and reducing the air flow to accommodate the placement.

ps. give me time to explain man! lol

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
By placing the coil above the airflow it has the room to fulfil as a bottom airflow albeit being from the sides, this helps improve the flavour a little also. I have found that placing it directly facing the air hole somehow diminishes the flavour in the case of my clapton coils. (Further testing needs to be done on this). On side note I'm still waiting for sapor to arrive :( after knowing its a top down vacuum model its definitely a flavour chaser tank.

Any "indirect" airflow tends to mute flavour as with the top airflow holes on the velocity, hence my assumption is that bottom airflow will almost dictate the flavour aspect of the design.

Also as to nickel, its best left to tank and on the go vaping. Flavour isn't pronounced at all on those things, I'd try building on my titanium when I can to see the difference if there's any.

As mentioned above, the purpose of not hitting it direct is due to the bottom airflow holes being too huge to purposefully fill the vape/air ratio (any extra airflow would definitely mute the flavours as well). I have tried full on side but it seems there's too much air flow going on muting the flavours a whole chunk hence the way I build and reducing the air flow to accommodate the placement.

Yea bro, if you know how to build even a basic contact-coil, which you obviously do since you posted nickel claptons(which btw just seems like a waste of a good coil, I'm not a fan of nickel lol) then you can get shockingly amazing performance out of her. Like, I own an embarrassingly extensive rda/rta/rba/rdta/rxzcabdjdyda collection and within five minutes of my first build on the sapor it rocketed to the absolute number one spot as my everyday device. Also, while I was really impressed by how good the flavor was on it, what really surprised me was how well it put out the clouds. After using the sapor and the vector rda's, I'm just totally converted to top airflow, it's seriously the best, you get awesome flavor, great clouds if built properly and absolutely zero leaking, it just such a beautifully simple and yet elegant solution to all the issues with other devices. It's drives me crazy, especially when thinking about how much better it is than all of the other devices I own that cost two, three, and even four times as much, while not even coming close to it in any category. Lol honestly, I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a salesman, I swear to god I'm not, I own no part of anything Vape company and don't work in anything Vape related, I'm just a long time vapor that's really loving this rda, so I try to share the information (which I wish I would've received years ago and saved thousands of dollars lol) with my fellow vaping brothers and sisters. Seriously, let me know what you think of it when it arrives and you get your first build in it, I'm really curious to hear how you like it. Where did you get it from?

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013

Also, do you build your coils the same way on the velocity when you're not using nickel? Like with regular coils or regular claptons do you build them that way too, because I would think the lack of direct airflow would cause them to get too hot...?

Ps. Do you live outside of the U.S. ? I'm surprised anyone else is awake this late lol

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
Lol sorry, I figured you were asleep and would just see my posts in the morning, I wasn't trying to ask you a bunch of questions while you were still answering the first one because I was assuming you weren't online.

So you're saying you get better performance from nickel in tanks than in rda's? Problem is most of the tanks I like (ie the ones that have enough airflow for the type of drag I enjoy) are dual coil only, like the zephyrus and I dunno, I think dual coils aren't really ideal, especially since nickel is already such a low resistance, with dual coils it'd take like twenty wraps on each coil to work lol
Btw, have you tried the Goliath v2 rta by youde? I've had my eye on her for a little while now and I'm trying to find someone that's used it before so that I don't buy another device that gets thrown in the drawer after the first day lol trying to be more selective with my vaping purchases = ]

WarA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2015
Flavour performance on nickel in tank not really better but its manageable albeit less tasty, what its really good for is no dry hits and saves a lot more battery due to the temp limiting factor.

This sub forum is actually in asia so yup we're still awake. As to the sapor its still on pre-order, chances are it'll only get here in a month or so. By then lots of new stuff will pop up.

After trying subtank mini and aspire triton i'm not too sure if I want to go forward to any other tanks other than subtank(ease of build and relative good flavor) I'll be giving zephyrus a go if I manage to grab it next week. Whatever you do DON'T get triton, overhyped tank junk rta(although I could probably drill juice holes bigger).

PS. forgot to mention coils on my velocity are also built really close to the post themselves, so if you can imagine what i'm trying to achieve with the above is actually bottom airflow with the path going inwards to saturate the coil themselves.

ahmadmfz

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2014
red dot
I find the velocity to be fantastic to build on. Flavour wise it isn't what it hyped to be... I still get better flavour on my marquis to be honest. Looking forward to using the Aeolus or the Sapor but waiting for someone local to have it so I can try...

Granted I do very basic builds. Simple microcoils, parallel builds, sometimes a Clapton but getting high enough of a resistance on nickel is a pita.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread