Does anyone convert VV Grands to a VV/VW mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazz63758

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2011
Southeast Missouri
I had two VV Grands. The chip on the second one failed today. So, I now have two VV Grand paperweights. :(
I thought about sending them in to be converted to mechanical, but remember seeing some posts where folks have converted the VV cases to a regulated mod using some of the newer VV/VW chips.

Does anybody know where I can have this done? I'm not capable of modifying the case myself, plus my soldering skills are atrocious.

I'd appreciate any advice you might offer.

Reactions: jifjifjif

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Hmmm... don't know of anyone who does this as a service. A couple of very handy chaps tinker with this kind of retrofit for personal use.

My suggestion would be to have the unit converted to a mech and then use a kick for regulation. The VVG's are taller and once converted can hold a 18650 battery plus a kick module. You wouldn't have the higher power of the other chips/boards/displays, but it would be much less intrusive than trying to fit all the other parts (and searching for someone to do it).

kazz63758

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2011
Southeast Missouri
I appreciate the thoughts and input guys. But I've tried Kicks before and didn't have much luck with them. So, I'll just hang onto the cases until I find someone who is willing to attempt upgrading them.

Again, I do appreciate the input. But that's just not what I'm wanting to do right now.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Could just do what I've done after repairing 2 vv reos twice in the past do to dead switches and chips..

Learn to build your coils and you won't need vv/vw anymore.

A 1ohm with 30 gauge wire using a 2.5mm rod off a coilmaster (dual coil 2ohm coils x2= 1ohm) and slap some kgd cotton in there and vape away.

Reactions: ed101z

kazz63758

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2011
Southeast Missouri

vlodato

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
New Jersey
Could just do what I've done after repairing 2 vv reos twice in the past do to dead switches and chips..

Learn to build your coils and you won't need vv/vw anymore.

A 1ohm with 30 gauge wire using a 2.5mm rod off a coilmaster (dual coil 2ohm coils x2= 1ohm) and slap some kgd cotton in there and vape away.
Mechanical devices have limits. Not saying keeping it simple is bad, usually the best way to do things. They do have thier limits though.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Yes. That is the type of modification I would like to have done to my VV's. Do you know of anyone who would perform that service?

I know who as Papa mentioned have done it as a project for themselves but don't/won't provide it as a service. If have two out of commission you could experiment on one yourself. Sorry I can't help you.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
What are the limits of Mechanical Mods? Just curious. Some are taking them to .2ohms. That's gotta be enough heat to bake a Turkey on Thanksgiving Day.
nyam2.gif

Reactions: unsure

vlodato

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
New Jersey
What are the limits of Mechanical Mods? Just curious. Some are taking them to .2ohms. That's gotta be enough heat to bake a Turkey on Thanksgiving Day.
nyam2.gif
The limits only come when your trying to use very low gauge wire. Doing more complex builds. It comes to to a point where you can only go so low with your ohms because wire mass becomes an issue because it takes more the 4.2 volts to heat the wire up in in a reasonable ammount of time. Again this is more geared towards a hobbiest/cloud chaser. Micro/macro coils won't have this issue because like u said, you can get a very satisfying vape with a .5 - 1.2 ohm micro coil @ 4.2 volts.

Reactions: ed101z

vlodato

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
New Jersey
I see. Don't know how that would be considered safe though. Complicated coils like you're describing that require more than 4.2v batteries, sounds more like Fire Breathing instead of Vaping.
Health risk I can't speak for, but it is safe as long as you stay within the amp limit of the battery. Plus it's not always about how low you can go. Some of the more complicated coils do interesting things because of the larger surface area and the fact that some coils like the claptons can retain juice. Right now I'm playing with staged builds to counteract the ramp up times. Using 32g wire to heat up 28g wire that heats up 26g wire all on parallel, still only runs at .5 ohms.
83a577af5e376afb8d3261245c4ab42b.jpg

kazz63758

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2011
Southeast Missouri
I know who as Papa mentioned have done it as a project for themselves but don't/won't provide it as a service. If have two out of commission you could experiment on one yourself. Sorry I can't help you.

I expected as much. The first one has been out for about a year now, and the second crashed last week. I knew it would be difficult finding someone who would convert it, but I'm not in a particular hurry. I have two regular Grands and two minis. But, I do miss the regulated VV, so I decided to post here in hopes someone might eventually see it that would be willing to tackle the job.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread